Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any brain surgeons around?

Because that is what my surgeon told me yesterday at my 3-week postop visit. I did tell him that I'm a bit hungry (I'm on thin liquids for the first 3 weeks) and have occasionally indulged in fat free, but sugar loaded yogurt, he said that was not good. Then, when he told me that if I didn't lose weight I would perpetutate my fatty liver disease and need a liver transplant (!) he looked at me and said: "But you really need a brain transplant." Listen, I almost fell off the chair laughing...he is so right! But, did he really have to say it? :) I have lose 8 pounds (banded 2/2), but he said I should have lost much more than that. :omg: Live and learn and I guess. I so appreciate this forum, though, I mean, he's thin after all. And, er...it's approaching that time of month. Can't a girl keep SOME excuses?? :biggrin1:

Kelli

Jeez, I dont think that's funny at all. What a rude bastard!

I'm glad you see the funny side of it, but to me it's yet another example of a surgeon who has no freaking idea what it's like to be fat.

What Jacqui said..and he's wrong. The immediate post-op time is NOT about losing weight. The band is designed to work WHEN IT IS PROPERLY ADUSTED!! Most of the immediate post-op weight loss is dehydration.

Tell him to RTFM!

(Read the ___manual.)

I found his comment to be rude, unprofessional, uneducated and condescending. I have yet to place a band in someone but even I know that the first portion of post surgery is for healing purposes only not for promotion of statistics through your weight loss.

And last time I checked.... I didn't lose any weight when people made jokes about my effort. Sure I laughed with them and ha ha hee hee, but then do you know what I did? Went and ate that piece of cheesecake because I knew I was a failure anyway at it, so why try more? Geesh, your doc seems to need a lesson in some tact.

What he was trying to say was he just dropped a few qualudes:sing:, drank :beer:a few shots:cocktail: and smoked some pot :hat:and he was just playing doctor today.

You weight loss is great. :clap2: He is looking for a "shining star patient", one he can say but "My patient Binky lost 100 pounds in her first week because I am such a great doctor" again he's been drinking and smoking.

I'm sure you have heard that lap band patients lose weight slowly and it is true. You will begin to see the diffrence in your face and the way your clothes fit. The weight will come off. Keep your head up.

8 lbs in that short amout of time is great. I would just laugh it off like you did too.

Kelli,

I don't know how well you know your doctor but I would have properly laughed too. I don't think he meant any harm and to tell the truth, a brain transplant is what most of us may need. It's a battle with my mind all the time, not with the band. I'm glad you had a great attitude about it.

Also, 8lbs. is a great number!!!

Seems like a VERY insensitive statement. He needs to take a class on bedside manners. You seem to be on track. Keep up the good work and surround yourself with POSITIVE people (like us) tee hee hee

I think we have to know what sort of relationship she has with her doctor. Is it strictly business all the time? Or is he the kind of doc that is joking all the time and you can have a lot of fun with. My OBGYN that I had when I was pg with my two babes was a fun loving guy, used to joke all the time, and used to take it to the limit with every patient. But he never crossed that line, even if the linewas different with each patient. It may be that he knew she would not be bothered by a comment like that, and that it was all saaid in jest.

this being said, I think that the first stage is for healing, not for losing. Some have even gained during this time. you should be proud of the 8 pounds, and if you need a vice...just remember to do it in moderation.

Funny Duddies you are so right, this is what my nutritionist said also.

this being said, I think that the first stage is for healing, not for losing. Some have even gained during this time. you should be proud of the 8 pounds, and if you need a vice...just remember to do it in moderation.

I am glad you are laughing it off, but it was hurtful! Remember, these are surgeons. Surgeons that know how to physically operate on the body. They are not nutritionist, counselors, dieticians, shrinks, or anything else. Most have never been morbidly obese. I take what they say, in account, but I draw my own conclusions. I am a professional dieter and know many things about my body, calories/fats/proteins/etc., exercise, eating behaviors, and emotionality. I am a expert on myself. It makes me angry, when they "think" they are telling you something that you have never heard (duh). It's one thing to tell but another to be rude and sarcastic. Empathy goes along way with people.

BTW: You are doing great and have lost weight in the first several weeks of surgery. Keep up the good work.

Shawn

:doh:

Kelli, you are doing GREAT.

It's surprising that it sounds as though so many of these WLS surgeons really don't seem to know anything about obesity, or what the expected results of the lapband are.

I can only guess he's relatively new at placing the band?!?!

YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!!

I have heard all of this hubbub on other threads about how we should respect all of the docs that come on here. First, let me say... respect is earned- it does not come automatically with a title. I am still waiting to be banded, and I find the info from other bandsters is much more useful than info from a doctor that knows how to put one in and that's it. Now, if your doctor is banded, that's a different story. This is the reason I have a female gynecologist. You can read all day about the vagina, PMS, childbirth, menopause...but if you don't have the equipment yourself, you can't really understand. Men, don't talk to me about "mild" cramps....ye without a uterus should not speaketh to the issue.

With you having a skinny doctor, it sounds like he doesn't have the "equipment". However, it does sound like he has a grasp on just how much of a mental element there is with the weight demon. Sign me up for a brain transplant, too.

Pugmum, my surgeon is a kidder too. At my three weeks check up I complained about my weight loss slowing down and I thought he was going to hit me over the head with the file he was holding.

At my first fill (two days ago) he was holding the syringe like a dart across the room and telling me what a good aim he is! I think some docs use humor to get us to relax, trouble is some people just don't know how to joke well. You should have given him a look of complete shock and then dropped your face into your hands and pretened to be sobbing. When he tried to apologize, you could have lifted your head, grinned at him and said, 'And what you need is a sense of humor transplant! :) '

This thread has made me laugh! You people are SO funny!