Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes Recommendations

Im 3 months out & everytime I see the dietician she freaks me out. She told me I'll be on Protein Shakes after surgery & I should try a few...unmm they are expensive! Don't think I want to buy multiple types, anyone have a good one? Not too yucky or gritty tasting. Mix with Water preferred. It also seems like I won't be able to eat anything. Seems like everything can get stuck. Although I would love to lose 80 pds I'm getting scared that I'll basically be starving myself. Thoughts?

You won't be starving yourself! Take that from someone who loves to eat and prob enjoys food even more so now that I take my time eating to really enjoy it! I bought my Protein Shakes for postop from my dr. I just did 2 days of liquid this week and bought AdVANTAGE and Adkins shakes and liked them both. Seems everyone on here really likes the ones from costco too. Don't be scared, this was the best thing I have ever done for myself!

go to a Vitamin store, they have so many brands and you can buy individual packs to try. I love Jay Robb, lots of Protein, 1 carb and no artificial sweeteners!

they really taste pretty good!! you will be surprised.

You won't be starving yourself! Take that from someone who loves to eat and prob enjoys food even more so now that I take my time eating to really enjoy it! I bought my Protein shakes for postop from my dr. I just did 2 days of liquid this week and bought AdVANTAGE and Adkins shakes and liked them both. Seems everyone on here really likes the ones from costco too. Don't be scared' date=' this was the best thing I have ever done for myself![/quote']

Thank you. I've heard the costco brand come up alot. I don't have a membership but may need to get one. So glad you eat:). How much have you loss? The dietician always spooks me out.

go to a Vitamin store' date=' they have so many brands and you can buy individual packs to try. I love Jay Robb, lots of Protein, 1 carb and no artificial sweeteners!

they really taste pretty good!! you will be surprised.[/quote']

I tried that today & they were not helpful so I left. I'll try again 2morrow that's a good idea. Think I'll stick with vanilla or choc.

I dont like the sweetness of the shakes.....

one i found that taste good with out the real sweetness is whey peanutbutter and choc....it soooo good.

go to a Vitamin store, they have so many brands and you can buy individual packs to try. I love Jay Robb, lots of Protein, 1 carb and no artificial sweeteners!

they really taste pretty good!! you will be surprised.

Yep. Yep. Jay Robb fan here too! What I like is that you can buy individual packets and give 'em a whirl (pun intended) to see if you like. Whole Foods and online. No difference in price but I do online now because I save with no sales tax and free shipping! $2.50 per serving.

For me, there are better priced but the if the flavor is yuck, the extra $1 per serving is totally worth it! And I think Jay Robb is the best powder that blends easily so no lumps.

Oh...and I also think that Protein choice is very personal. I may LOVE it but you may find it putrid. Gotta take the time to find the one you like!

I tried Unjury, mixes awesome! The chicken Soup is wonderful, vanilla is good and strawberry Sorbet is ok but the last two smell so I just hold my breath while I take a sip. lol Pure Protein is doable, not the greatest, maybe will try mixing it with something next time. Unjury sells individual packs to try and also has a sample package, they have chocolate items too, I just don't like chocolate. Good luck!

Partymann, thanks for the recommendation. I just looked these up and they look great....lactose free, gluten free, high Protein, low sugar... Will try!!!

I've tried many brands - the only problem I have was the thickness. Make sure you're getting Liquid Protein as the Meal Replacement is THICKER. I like the vanilla and chocolate as you can add sugar free flavorings or syrups to them to change up the flavor. GNC total lean 25 is OK and if on sale a good buy. The first seven days of the month you get extra discounts so that's the time to buy...Good luck. Linda

My doctor had me add Benefiber to all of my Protein drinks which did add thickness...I found GNC "Amplified Wheybolic" using 1.5 scoops of the powder was the best for me...several very good flavors to choose from.

You really have to try a few different ones to find the ones you prefer. Since these will likely be a staple in our diet for the future, we really need to have a few we like...

Lady Bug...i also love the Unjury chicken broth....i havent tryed it yet but they say when we can eat again...lol...to open Ramon noodles and add some to it.....that sounds like heaven to me....im 9 days post op......every thing is looking to me right about now...

I make my own shakes with fruit or greek yogurt for substance and I use the whey isolate powder. I just picked up a shake recipe book by Chef Dave Fouts, he's got some really interesting concoctions! I've found that I need to "mix it up a bit" (no pun intended), or I get really bored! ^_^

Im 3 months out & everytime I see the dietician she freaks me out. She told me I'll be on Protein shakes after surgery & I should try a few...unmm they are expensive! Don't think I want to buy multiple types, anyone have a good one? Not too yucky or gritty tasting. Mix with Water preferred. It also seems like I won't be able to eat anything. Seems like everything can get stuck. Although I would love to lose 80 pds I'm getting scared that I'll basically be starving myself. Thoughts?

Chobani greek yogurt has 22 grams of Protein per half cup. 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, 3 or 4 strawberries handful of ice, splash of milk or Water, blend and strain, YUM!!! I hate the grittiness of the Protein Powder and it is expensive. You can do almost any flavor with the plain greek yogurt. Good luck!