Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm seeing posts about dieting before surgery. I haven't been told by my dr to diet or anything. I did go to the seminars and get brochures and all but that was last year so I don't know where any of that stuff is now. I called them on today to see what or if I had to diet but the office was closed. I'm calling back FIRST THING on Monday!!!!!

Has you surgery been scheduled???

Have you completed all the pre-op testing?

Depends on your doctor and insurance Co. My doctor put me on liquids for 2 weeks pre-op, to help shrink my liver. Insurance wanted 3-6 months weight loss. Definitely call your doctor and insurance to find out what they require. Welcome to a healthier life.

Yes. My surgery is February 24. I have done everything but my preop stuff.

My Dr. didn't require me to , but I did I wanted to become accustomed to some of the changes. I guess to mentally adjust as much as physically. It helped me! I'd call the office and see what it is they require. Some do it to shrink the liver for surgery. Good luck!

Yes. My surgery is February 24. I have done everything but my preop stuff.

Well get ready, he may spring it on you a few weeks before surgery.

"See you on the 24th at 7:30am, and oh, BTW, don't forget to loose 20 lbs before then or I won't do the surgery"

Do they have a website or can you ask someone else here who had the same doc? My doc told me to try to lose ten pounds...I think I lost 8, there was no set diet.

I was told to start 1200 calories on the seminar date. they also told me I had to lose 5% of my weight before the surgery. I stayed on the 1200 calories because so much of the info said we would probably not lose the 100 lbs we all wanted to lose. my insurance had me meet with a nutritionist 5X before surgery also( kind of informational and shrink work).

I thought if I got a head start I would begin to eat in a more respectful manner. I certainly was not respectful b4 that!

It helped me to stop and think if I really wanted to eat that danish. I started to look at the nutritional info for all the food we ate and was shocked!!! I knew better but always ignored the truth.

For the 1st time in many years I felt I needed to be accountable!!??

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how well I did and how committed to this new lifestyle I became b4 the surgery.

I had decided I really had to succeed and I was nervous. my BMI was high so I sure didn't worry they would not let me continue on.

I'm sure you will find out the answer next week. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well get ready, he may spring it on you a few weeks before surgery.

"See you on the 24th at 7:30am, and oh, BTW, don't forget to loose 20 lbs before then or I won't do the surgery"

That's what happened to me. My doctor didn't mention it until maybe a week before my surgery, but all doctors are different. Give them a call next week, don't stress, it'll be fine.

You can start now with starting mushies good my boo makes a pot of chicken Soup then mushes it with a blender not to liquid just mushy or use a emulsion blender it taste great that way iur tummy won't test to it and chew thoroughly it really does help I haven't got nauseated or sick do far

Thanks for alllll the comments! I spoke with my doctor on yesterday and they told me 7 days prior to surgery I have to be on a NO CARBS NO SUGAR diet and 2 days prior CLEAR LIQUIDS!! OMGosh!!!!!!

Count yourself lucky some of us had to do just liquids for two weeks before.

Glad you found out your answer. You will do great. The no Carbs no Sugar thing is rough but it is easy compared to Clear Liquids. I did the same. 2 weeks no carbs, no sugar and 5 days clear liquids. I thought I was going to die. BUT...I lost 15 pounds in those couple of weeks and that gave me a great jump start to my post surgery weight...It also made sure that my liver was smaller (it helps avoid unwanted bleeding during the surgery). I am 6 months post- op and down 75 pounds. with 43 more to go....You can do this. Try to cut back on the carbs now and the sugar too..you can get a headache if you stop them too fast. I also got the shakes a bit. Post-op you will be on clear liquids, then full liquids and then mushies, then food so getting an early start might make things easier. I know it did for me and I can be very hard-headed (plus I loved carbs)...Good Luck to a skinner and healthier you ! Melinda in Jacksonville