Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Isn't Paying For Lap Band

I am one of the unlucky ones that the insurance wont pay for the band. I was wondering if anyone's insurance paid for the test that are performed before surgery... I have my deductible satisfied and was hoping that they would pay for the test leading up to the surgery.. thanks

I used to work in insurance. Who is it with? Is there a customer service number you could call? Obesity is a medical condition. Just because they won't pay for the surgery does not mean that they wouldn't pay for the testing. Have the MD office at least bill it for you. Nothing to lose. I am so sorry that they won't pay for the surgery. All the best to you, hon. Have you tried WW?

Melinda

insurance can be awful to deal with. Do you have other options such as personal savings? Or taking out a loan? I have one of the most cheap insurance policy's possible thru my husbands' work. THey don't like to pay for anything, yet they will pay for obesity surgery because where the plan is baised from in GA they have a major problem with folks being obesse. Could you possibly pay for a plan out of pocket for the year that you will be needing to see the doctor for surgery and your fills?

thanks guys, I have lifewise of Washington, There is a little twist to my story.

I have to keep the insurance that i have because i had colon cancer a year ago. And know one else will take me... Yes i have tried weight watchers did very well on it and lost 52libs and have gained most of it back.. cant wait to have the surgery, I am doing the last preop test today and then have a few more meetings with the lapband surgeon. looks like surgery should be sometime in dec..And yes I am paying for it out of my savings...

Hi there. My insurance doesn't cover any wls either, so I will be paying out of pocket. I will be calling tomorrow to set up all my pre-op testing appts. My doctor's office told me that there's a good chance my insurance will cover the testing since it's pretty routine stuff...blood work, EKG, X-rays. I agree with that but am not so sure about the psych consult and nutritionist visit. We'll see... Hope so since I've met my yearly deductible!

HayFarmer, on a side note, my horses love hay! LOL. do you grow your own?

My insurance paid for all of my pre-op testing. I went to my PCP for the blood work, EKG, and Chest x-ray. I went to a gastro-doctor for the upper gi and abdominal ultra sound. Cigna also covered the psych eval visit but I had to pay for the results to be written and forwarded to the doctor.

Thanks guys for the info, Time will tell if they pay when the bills start to roll in.. I just found out yesterday that the big day will be Dec 14. Wow thats only a few days away. I have a pre op teaching class on Dec 1. And then its the liquid diet and surgery.

And yes horsegirl I do grow my own and sell it.. How ever they last two years I have had none.. just the way it worked out.. I am leaning toward growing more dry corn.. Hay/Alfalfa the weather plays just a big part of it.. Just got tired of trying to fight mother nature.. good luck everyone.. and thanks again for the info...