Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on Monday today is day 5 I've been home alone bored and hungry and weak. I can't fathom a Protein Shake I've managed to drink a lot of Water and a little apple sauce some broth popsicles but nothing filling in starving I'm watching the food channel just dreaming I know that's bad but I love good food and I really miss it and I'm scared I'll never eat it again and never be satisfied. I'm to weak to leave the house I'm home with my husband while all our freinds are away for the July 4th weekend (and most of them don't know) im just really feeling down - so upset at myself I got this fat and now I'll never be able to enjoy food again oh yes and I'm starving - what will happen if I eat real food right now? Has anyone done it 5 days post op?

If you have any self respect at all, don't do it. Yes you can do real damage to yourself and the sutures in your stomach but also, you need to have willpower to lose weight with this surgery, and "cheating" now is only going to make you feel like a failure. That feeling will stick long after the holiday weekend is over.

Hang in there! You WILL be able to eat real food again, but you just had surgery and you have to give your body time to heal. But in a few weeks, you'll feel like your old self again!

Try to remember when you're feeling down that this feeling will pass. It's momentary, and it's normal. Try to "eat" something when you're hungry--i.e., drink something. You shouldn't be starving. It does take a bit of time to get used to distinguishing between head hunger and real hunger. So you may just be feeling head hunger, because it's such an adjustment when you have to stick with just liquids after surgery. But if you're having major hunger pains, I would eat! Soups, milk, whatever. Give yourself a treat if you are really desperate--chocolate milk or something. You're better off having liquids that are high in Protein and will fill you up rather than sugery drinks that may make you hungrier, but if you're desperate I don't know. You may want to just get some calories in you so you're not feeling so hungry and deprived (feelings of deprivation NEVER work for me, personally). It depends what your doctor has recommended; and ultimately even with the band what you put in your mouth is your choice.

You can do it! Good luck!

It's very important that you get some Protein in. Please consider a Protein Shake. My Doc recommends one protein shake a day minimum. Experiment will different one. There many to choose from. It will stave your hunger and give you much needed energy. Take heart, you will enjoy good food again. Just not large quantities. Portion Control and exercise is the key to losing weight not deprivation. All that being said, you need to quit having a pity party and approach this as a new beginning and a way to rid yourself of that body that is depressing you. You are lucky, your health will improve and the depression will lift if you approach this as an opportunity, not a punishment. Find another TV channel for awhile, don't torture yourself..

Stay strong. You will get thru it. When you move to the soft/mushy stage, you will appreciate what a warm meal is. I remember days of Jello, applesauce, crystal lite..........I thought I was gonna die from red dye #5!

Definitely worth the wait. You will eat normally again, faster than you think.

Thanks everyone I really needed to hear all that - I know it's mostly in my head b/c I do feel full. Also I know all about shakes I lived on them for 2 weeks and lost 17lbs pre op for some reason it wasn't as hard b/c I was able to go to work and move and not have 5 bandages on my stomach I think it's all just hitting me and it's easy to think how great the future could be but I'm scared scared scared right now scared I won't succeed.

It gets better just remember why you did this. Make a chocolate shake or something I am not going to lie I cheated after surjury with a slice of pizza about 1 week and half later but I had to chew it up really good until it was liquid to get it down. Just remember after you start healing you will be able to get food down so be careful and try to stick to the diet as much as possible. We have all been there your not alone.

I was banded on Monday today is day 5 I've been home alone bored and hungry and weak. I can't fathom a Protein shake I've managed to drink a lot of Water and a little apple sauce some broth popsicles but nothing filling in starving I'm watching the food channel just dreaming I know that's bad but I love good food and I really miss it and I'm scared I'll never eat it again and never be satisfied. I'm to weak to leave the house I'm home with my husband while all our freinds are away for the July 4th weekend (and most of them don't know) im just really feeling down - so upset at myself I got this fat and now I'll never be able to enjoy food again oh yes and I'm starving - what will happen if I eat real food right now? Has anyone done it 5 days post op?

You will get through this. And you will be able to eat food again. Will it be in the same portions as before band? No. But you won't miss it. Hang in there. It gets better!

Soy Protein was recommended, but I hate that stuff. It never seems to completely dissolve. I use either whey protein, Breakfast Essential or Slim Fast High Protein. OK, to help me I "doctored" my Protein Shakes. As a chocolate fan I buy that flavor powder most often. So, I added instant coffee, giving me the Jamocoa (Arby) shake. I always blend with ice cubes, added extra protein with powdered skim milk. These would be nice and thick and I could eat with a spoon. My doc OKed me adding fruit, and I love the taste of strawberries and chocolate. vanilla powder, powdered milk, 1/4c skim milk , 3/4c OJ or orange flavored Crystal Light, drop of lemon juice, 3 or 4 ice cubes and Orange Slush! Fudgesicles (No Suger Added) also kept me very happy. Knorr makes a Tomato bouillon with chicken that is tasty.

Just don't eat, your tummy really needs time to heal, and to let the band settle the way it needs to.

yes just stay strong gurllll!cool.gif

I'm 3 weeks post-op and adding regular food. It's interesting, things that I used to LOVE don't appeal to me much. I was a diet coke addict, now I don't even think about them or miss them. You may feel the same way once you start to add regular food. Things you used to love may not be important to you. Take heart it does get easier and better every day. I have a commitment to losing the weight unlike anything I've had before. What an incentive the band is.

I was allowed hard candies to suck on. Try a lollypop, it might help the need to have something in your mouth. I remember that I used Dumdums and other rock candy. Good luck, you can get through it. Karen....Happy Independence Day!

I too, had my band placed Monday. It hasn't been a picnic, I feel what you are saying. In addition to the abdominal pain, I thought that dry mouth would drive me insane! Then, my throat was red, swollen, raw,,went to Dr,,had laryngitis.Then 2 days ago, developed cramps in my calves, went to Dr, thank God, no DVT. I swear by all that's holy, the devil himself developed Protein Shakes. I imagine hell as a place you eat nothing but Protein shakes. I sat here all week missing work (never thought that would happen)knowing my friends and family were doing the things I love to do,, but can't yet,,going to the beach, movies (don't want to smell popcorn), out to dinner, Friday night happy hour,,

My girlfriend stopped over last night,, I couldn't even put a bra on (hits my top steri-strip) and sit at the table! So I stayed on the couch covered up like a 'sick' person! I watch my husband and my children go about life so normally,,in and out of the fridge, having no idea how lucky they are to be able to move thier jaws up and down over substance according to God's plan...(I have been known to be a bit of a drama queen),,,lol

So I had a crying jag last night after everyone went to bed. Spent some time truly feeling sorry for myself,,ohh yeahh,,a pity party like no other..I am mourning the passing of my old life. Yes, I was (am) fat. That doesn't mean I didn't love my life!

So I woke up this morning. Everyone was at work. My poor dog. He knows I'm not myself,,curls up next to me moaning like he thinks I'm dying..so I got up, carefully put my bra on (avoiding steri-strips,,10 minute job, but hey,,I got all day) and put my sneaks on. Inside part of me was screaming,'nooo back to bed,,we must continue our pity party!)...I grabbed the dog leash, my iphone, earplugs, and off we went! We walked 30 minutes. I didn't 'power walk', didn't think about calories, just walked. And Thanked God for the beautiful day, the shining sun, the ability to put 1 foot in front of the other..

I am almost 50 years old. 20 of those years obese. I have 85 lbs to lose. As I've aged, this weight (coupled with arthritis) has made pain in my hips, ankles, knees part of my daily life.My first grandchild is due in 8 days. I want to know what it's like not to drip sweat from the simple exertion of holding a baby and walking around the room. I want to wear jeans with zippers! I want to be able to cross my legs when sitting! to wear a shirt that is not princess cut! a bathing suit without a skirt! to eat a small amount of food, and like a skinny girl say, 'oh my, I'm absolutely stuffed'!..lol

I know I haven't had my last moment of sadness/regret/depression, but I do know I will find my way out.

So I say we buck up! think of all the wonderous things we are going to be able to do! I wish you all the luck in the world, as I do every person on this forum.

Let's do this!

I too, had my band placed Monday. It hasn't been a picnic, I feel what you are saying. In addition to the abdominal pain, I thought that dry mouth would drive me insane! Then, my throat was red, swollen, raw,,went to Dr,,had laryngitis.Then 2 days ago, developed cramps in my calves, went to Dr, thank God, no DVT. I swear by all that's holy, the devil himself developed Protein Shakes. I imagine hell as a place you eat nothing but Protein shakes. I sat here all week missing work (never thought that would happen)knowing my friends and family were doing the things I love to do,, but can't yet,,going to the beach, movies (don't want to smell popcorn), out to dinner, Friday night happy hour,,

My girlfriend stopped over last night,, I couldn't even put a bra on (hits my top steri-strip) and sit at the table! So I stayed on the couch covered up like a 'sick' person! I watch my husband and my children go about life so normally,,in and out of the fridge, having no idea how lucky they are to be able to move thier jaws up and down over substance according to God's plan...(I have been known to be a bit of a drama queen),,,lol

So I had a crying jag last night after everyone went to bed. Spent some time truly feeling sorry for myself,,ohh yeahh,,a pity party like no other..I am mourning the passing of my old life. Yes, I was (am) fat. That doesn't mean I didn't love my life!

So I woke up this morning. Everyone was at work. My poor dog. He knows I'm not myself,,curls up next to me moaning like he thinks I'm dying..so I got up, carefully put my bra on (avoiding steri-strips,,10 minute job, but hey,,I got all day) and put my sneaks on. Inside part of me was screaming,'nooo back to bed,,we must continue our pity party!)...I grabbed the dog leash, my iphone, earplugs, and off we went! We walked 30 minutes. I didn't 'power walk', didn't think about calories, just walked. And Thanked God for the beautiful day, the shining sun, the ability to put 1 foot in front of the other..

I am almost 50 years old. 20 of those years obese. I have 85 lbs to lose. As I've aged, this weight (coupled with arthritis) has made pain in my hips, ankles, knees part of my daily life.My first grandchild is due in 8 days. I want to know what it's like not to drip sweat from the simple exertion of holding a baby and walking around the room. I want to wear jeans with zippers! I want to be able to cross my legs when sitting! to wear a shirt that is not princess cut! a bathing suit without a skirt! to eat a small amount of food, and like a skinny girl say, 'oh my, I'm absolutely stuffed'!..lol

I know I haven't had my last moment of sadness/regret/depression, but I do know I will find my way out.

So I say we buck up! think of all the wonderous things we are going to be able to do! I wish you all the luck in the world, as I do every person on this forum.

Let's do this!

wow Darlene we could be twins, our 1st week sounds very simalar, I did want to have the crying pity party but instead went back on my zoloft before i slipped into poor me state. Also went out to camp for a while although had fun with friends the fact all i could do is smell the food and watch the margahritas get poured was a bit much. Each day i feel better and i am going in to work on Tuesday because i can't sit and do nothing one more day.