Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had Lapband out 8 weeks ago...have gain 20 pounds and advice how to lose this and keep it off

I was seriously ill in April and had no choce, my band was infected and had to be removed. I was devastated and very concerned about just what has happened, I have started gaining weight. I saw my doctor today and was told putting another band in could be very risky and lead to even worse complications. I am seeing a nutrtionist and having medobolic testing next month to see if we can figure out why the weight came back on so fast. I am very afraid that I will go back to how I was before the surgery. I went from 267 to 138. I am now 158 and am afraid to even get on the scale anymore for fear it will show more weight gain. Any ideas I will gladly listen too. All advice is welcome and it sure is nice to know I am not the only one this has happened to or that feels like every pound just makes you look terrible.

I don't have any advice, I just want to offer you some support! You said you can't get another band, have you looked into revision to a different surgery?

Maybe look into the sleeve? Have you had your thyroid tested? I'm not sure of anyone who puts on 20 solid pounds of fat, which you probably didn't, unless you have an extremely poorly functioning thyroid.

It also happened to me and I ballooned up really fast, too. Those fat cells are just hanging out waiting to reinflate when we return to our old eating patterns.

I think you need to check into revision surgery maybe the sleeve?

I wish you all the best and keep exercising.

Mimi

I don't have any advice, I just want to offer you some support! You said you can't get another band, have you looked into revision to a different surgery?

I talked with my doctor yesterday and because of other issue with the infection she said that any of the surgeries are very dangerous to me. I am hoping the longer i go with no ciomlications she might change her mind. I see the nutritionist next month and then the Dr. that is associated with this clinic. I am just hoping to prevent anymore weight gain. The saddest part is the fact the band was not really involved with the infection but it was so bad that it made the band get infected.

I can not have the sleeve because I also have bowel obstruction issues I never had before. I was able to get down to 118 but was made to put 20 pounds back on and that was with the band in. I am hoping the longer I go without complications smy surgeon will reconsider. It is a HUGE reality check when a surgeon tells you they refuse o operate because it could kill you. I am having a metabolism test next month, believe it or not the doctor thinks the issue maybe that I am not eating enough. We will see that is for sure, I just get really depressed after all the work I did to lose the weight and then have this happen.

Maybe look into the sleeve? Have you had your thyroid tested? I'm not sure of anyone who puts on 20 solid pounds of fat, which you probably didn't, unless you have an extremely poorly functioning thyroid.

I wish I could have the sleeve. We talked about it yesterday and with my bowle obstruction issues it could leak and my surgeon says that it is not worth the risk. Right now just holding onto the hope that the longer it is that I have no more complications then even tually she will re band me. I have one of the best surgeons in my area and if she does not want to do the surgery then chances are good that it should not be done by anyone so I just hope over time she will casnge her mind.

It also happened to me and I ballooned up really fast, too. Those fat cells are just hanging out waiting to reinflate when we return to our old eating patterns.

I think you need to check into revision surgery maybe the sleeve?

I wish you all the best and keep exercising.

Mimi