Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm BAAAAACK! (and 1 year update - LONG)

Hi Everybody -

Sorry for "dropping off the face of the Earth" for two weeks, but I was on vacation with my Sweetie, and spent very little time on the computer.

It was a wonderful 2 week vacation, and the icing on the cake was that I dropped 9 pounds while he was here. I'm positive it is almost all contributable to the extra physical activity that I never added on my own - lots of walking each day, and of course, the more pleasureable types of exercise performed between two people in love... ahem :)

So, with the help of my Sweeitie, I am coming up on my one year bandiversary (1/23) at -80 pounds. This "year in review" is a little early, but I'm awake after dropping off my Sweetie at the airport, so what the hey?

It's been a wonderful year, full of hope, promise and peace in regards to my weight. There have been a few rocks in the road (tearing of my port suture and subsequent flipping of my port in July, a concussion in October, a port revision in November, multiple plateaus of unrelenting length) but overall the experience has been fantastic. I have met so many fabulous people, both online and in real life (IRL), and I look and feel better than I have in years.

Except for the port revision, I have had very few undesireable side effects from being banded. In the past year, I have PB'd approximately 10 times. I've been stuck without PBing only a handful or two more times than that. I have some slight discomfort off and on that I associate with the tubing near the port, and the last three weeks I ocassionally feel as though there is some pressure pushing down on my band - this feeling usually occurs when I am lying down. Don't know what that means, if anything, but I'll have an annual check-up with Dr Lopez in the near future.

The good stuff - down 80 pounds virtually 'effortlessly.' I am mindful of what I eat, generally consuming good Proteins and vegetables, but nothing is off limits. The only thing I conscientiously avoid is carbonation, even though many people seem to do well with it. To me it is not important enough to risk any possible negative side effects.

My restriction varies, but not as widely as before. It takes about 4 weeks for my fills to kick in. After 4 fills, I am at 2.6 cc's, and would not want to be any tighter. I still toy with the idea of going down to 2.5 cc's to see if that allows me to meet my Water goals with less work, but have been making do with 1 to 2 quarts a day, instead of my gallon goal.

I can usually eat a whole spicy chicken sandwich (a specialty of a nearby deli on jalepeno bread - yum, yum) on a good day. Normally I have a Protein shake for bfast, a pick-me-up yoghurt a couple of hours later, a porkchop/burger patty/chicken breast and possibly some steamed broccoli for lunch, and then something similar for dinner 4 to 5 hours later. Some days I'm hungrier than others, and on those days I usually add less nutritious choices like a candy bar, chips, even the ocassional donut. I'd say my choices are about 70% nutritious/30% not so nutritious.

My activity level as a general rule is deplorable. My constant goal is to add consistent activity that I enjoy.

I have very few troublesome foods. I eat some bread, but generally just the middles. No sub sandwich type of bread, maybe one bite of a hamburger bun. Spinach is a struggle. Nuts get stuck quickly. I am leery of Pasta and rice, but have had both carefully. No problems with any meats unless they are very dry. I eat even less seafood than before (never a favorite of mine anyway) because I don't like the taste of chewing fish for that long. Exception is fish and chips (minus the chips). Potatos are not my friend - I can handle no more than four or five fries at a time, so mostly don't do them at all. Hashbrowns are somewhat better, but even mashed potatos require thought. I eat very little fruit - almost none. I like blended bananas in a drink, but rarely have that.

I am hit and miss with Vitamin supplements - I go through short phases of being conscientious, and then mostly forget. When I do take supplements I crush them to powder. I know - yuck.

:D

I am on no medications.

It is such a joy to no longer be consumed by when I will eat, what I will eat, how much I will eat, and whether or not it will be enough and if not what else will I have in addition? I still love food, but I am no longer fearful that I will go hungry, as I have honored my commitment to myself to eat when I'm hungry, whenever that is, and stop when I'm full. I have very few cravings, since nothing is off limits.

Would I do this again? In a hearbeat.

Thank you to everyone for all of your caring and support. Looking forward to giving the two year update!!

So glad you're back!! You'll have to give us some trip details when you have time.

The update is very useful. Congrats on one-year and 80 pounds less!!:)

congrats.jpg

Congratulations, What an eventful year.. but you seem to have taken it all in stride.. We all will have our ups and downs.. Sounds like when Sweetie is around-ALL IS UP!!! lol!!

80lbs is remarkable.. and with you knowing what you can and can't tolerate is great.. It's nice to know that NOTHING is REALLY off limits.. Keep up the great loss and welcome back. Becky

Thank you so much for sharing your year with us! It really gives me hope that even if we aren't perfect 100% of the time, our bands will still help us reach our goals without ending back up in a worse position (increased weight gain) than we were when we started.

Congratulations on your 80lbs. You were definitely missed while you were on your 2 week vacation with your sweetie!!! Glad you had a great time and glad to see you back here!

Take Care,

Hi Donali,

You sound happy and healthy and that is what banding is about!!

Thanks for sharing and your honesty about what you are eating and not eating. I have the same life opinion that you do. You should not feel deprived when you have a band and life is meant to be enjoyed!! ( In moderation...... I preface)

Babs in TX

334/251/180

-83 and counting

6/23/03

Glad you had a nice time with your sweetie! At my support group meeting yesterday someone mentioned that you were at the last Texas Bandster Bash. Is that true? Any chance you are coming this year?

Nancy

Hi Nancy -

No, I have never attended any bash, so that wasn't me. It's unlikely that I would travel much distance to attend a bash, as I'm not particularly interested in even going to the one in Tijuana which is very close and convenient. I have been told by several people that the bashes are a complete blast, though, so maybe some year I'll show up at the Tijuana one.

:) Hi Donali

Welcome back from a well deserved and active vacation. I've missed you. I always enjoy reading your posts. You give me inspiration with your no nonsense approach.

Its been a year, do you feel your band experience has changed your values in life and your way of thinking?

Congratulations on 80 lbs gone forever!!!

great to see you here again Donali, missed u loads! Congratulations on coming so far on your journey, physically, mentally and spiritually - it's so inspiring to read your posts....

well done, and hope the next twelve months are as exciting, hopeful and delightful! Can't wait for that two year update!

Hi Donali

It's been a long time since I've posted too - been on a month long plateau and didn't feel very positive! Still, am moving down again and just read your post......very encouraging!

Congratulations on such a fabulous result and for reminding me that losing weight is important, but having fun and keeping one's sense of humour is what life is about!

Keep it up!

Sarah

Hi Donali!

It's so nice to read your one-year ruminations. You sound great...Sweetie is a lucky guy!!!

Glad you're back...we missed you!