Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some people do, some don't. I don't do low carb. BUT you need to get your Protein in first and formost, if you can eat carbs too, go ahead. Some people find they lose more weight on a low carb diet.

I avoid white carbs (bread, potatoes, rice, Pasta & corn), but eat other veggie carbs.. broccoli, Beans, onions, carrots, etc.

I avoid processed carbs as much as I can .. crackers, chips, etc.

This is a personal choice. Perhaps something for you to discuss with a nutritionist or dietician? Hopefully your surgeon has one of those working with the practice?

I KNOW WE HAVE TO COUNT Protein BUT DO CARBS PLAY A ROLE OR SHOULD I TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM HIGH CARB FOODS?

You should do whatever you will do long-term. If you have a metabolic disorder (e.g. diabetes, hypoglycemia), low carb would be the best bet for a number of reasons. Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" is a good resource. If you go low carb (<60gm per day), you can eat a diet that is higher in fat. Studies show that a low carb, high fat diet results in better lipid profiles and more weight loss than a low carb, low fat diet. Another good resource is Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat". Basically, on this type of diet you get Protein and 'green' vegies - no grains, starches or fruit.< /p>

Some people do well just by making good choices and eating less. Some choose to exercise a few hours each day, 7 days a week, allowing them to eat far more calories. Some just count calories. Some do Weight Watchers.

Even while all the 'experts' are arguing about which diet is best, they all say that the best diet is the one you can stick with.

I received this advice from my surgeon that performed my surgery. (I NOW HAVE A NEW ONE.) Protein is like Gas in the Tank for you. This is true.

When you eat your Protein, like dinner. Have some Carb.. Why? I said. Because it's a kicker to the protein. So I tried it, and this too is true.

If you have a piece of meat for dinner, maybe you want to add 1/4 cup instant mashed potatoes. Now you don't have to eat it all, but there is your kicker You will feel the difference with the Energy Level.

Good Health to you.

Shirley.

Good Morning,

I eat 95% fruit, some nuts in the afternoon, a salad with peppers onions pea pods nuts raisins cucumbers tomatoes and grated cheese sometimes in the evening,,,sometimes fruit all day long. I eat constantly just to get enough calories,,but this is my personal choice, I do not eat meat or eggs or milk, I get my Protein from nuts and greens and a little cheese. For me it works for others it doesnt. You dont have to go lo carb to lose weight, you just need to eat healthy and enjoy what your eating.

Take care and Good luck on your weight loss!!!!!!!smile.gif

This is mostly true for me "I avoid white carbs (bread, potatoes, rice, Pasta & corn), but eat other veggie carbs.. broccoli, Beans, onions, carrots, etc.

I avoid processed carbs as much as I can .. crackers, chips, etc.". I do have Greek yoghurt for Breakfast but add Protein powder. My other processed carbs is hummus which I dip my veggies in at lunch (now that I am at restriction sometimes 1 tablespoon). I do exercise 6-7 days a week. On the weekends if I won't to have a brunch of eggs whites and pancakes I do but that's really more of my treat for the week. I don't ever have dessert and I am not a drinker.

I agree with all the posts here. For me I have been avoiding whites as well. I loved potatoes, bread and noodles before band and hardly ate Protein and it seemed like I never had energy and I would just end up more hungry and crave more carbs. Since banding and really limiting these things I have had amazing weight loss and energy and dont crave things as much anymore. You need to test your body and see what combination works best for you and your weight loss. Good luck! I love being banded!

I try to stay keep my carb intake pretty low. I've always been a bit of a "carb addict" and I have to say that since being banded, I have a very hard time with breads and any type of potatoes, so that has made curbing back on carbs easier. Whatever carbs I do consume are mainly from my veggies.

thanks everyone, i thought it was ok to have some carbs i do mostly get Protein from each meal and most of the time it is protein that is higher than the carbs. thank you again now im kinda curious about fast food cause some have a lot of protein it just depends on what you get is it still bad to get fast food?

thanks everyone, i thought it was ok to have some carbs i do mostly get Protein from each meal and most of the time it is Protein that is higher than the carbs. thank you again now im kinda curious about fast food cause some have a lot of protein it just depends on what you get is it still bad to get fast food?

Again...depends on a number of things. Wendy's is one of my favorite places to eat when I'm out during dinner time...or the Greek place. At Wendy's I'll get a single with cheese, hold the bun and a side salad. At the greek place I get the greek salad, hold the pita bread.

i just avoid white as much as possible - but I do choose the wholegrain varieties and I do eat moderate quantities of bread, rice and Pasta - but there's bread and there's bread. I wont buy supermarket stuff, I only buy organic, stoneground etc. That' way its a pretty low GI food and eaten as a balanced meal with Protein, it wont cause that huge insulin high followed by the low and the cravings. Well, it doesnt for me anyway, in fact these are the filling foods that keep me going. If you focus on also gettiing a good quality protien source with each meal, then as a bandster, your limited stomach space will mean that the carb content of your diet will drop quite significantly anyway - gone will be the days of several pieces of bread, rice AND Pasta, a couple of Cookies all on one day!

I think a high carb, high fat diet is a pretty bad one for health and weight, but you dont necessarily have to go low carb either, a simple readjustment of the balance more towards Protein and vegetable sources with limited quanities of grains will be enough for a lot of people to improve their weight and health markedly. Others choose to take it further - it can help their health and it can result in very fast weight loss.

You have to use your head though - just because a food is high protein doesnt make it a healthy choice! A McDonalds burger is a crappy choice of protein - poor quality beef, huge saturated fats, etc. A piece of salmon with the more heart friendly fats or similarly nuts - better choice most of the time and indulge in Mcdonalds occasionally only. Its so hard to keep track of, and it tends to all lead back to moderation because once you embrace one nutritional law, you're breaching another. Red meat, for example. Great source of many nutrients, Iron and protein, but a diet high in red meat is a huge bowel cancer risk. Similarly red wine, great health benefits but also a breast and bowel cancer risk. Oily fish, fantastic for your heart, but watch the mercury. Dairy - good source of protein but a lot of saturated fat, yet choose the low fat variety and you're missing out on a lot of Calcium and Vitamin d, because your body cant absorb them without the fat that goes with them! It'll do your head in if you think about it too much - so moderation moderation moderation!