Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speeding up surgical drains

Hi guys - I'm 2.5 weeks out from a Tummy Tuck and bilateral arm lifts. I got 4 drains from the TT (out of the butt, which is not comfortable) and was able to get rid of 2 of them at 2 weeks. But I still have two and they are collecting up a lot of Fluid, which makes me concerned that the doctor won't remove them on Tuesday. I know this is an important part of healing, but I can't help but wonder: Is there something I can/should be doing to help move the fluid along and out of me? Change what I eat or how I move? I could really use any advice before I go crazy.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys - I'm 2.5 weeks out from a Tummy Tuck and bilateral arm lifts. I got 4 drains from the TT (out of the butt, which is not comfortable) and was able to get rid of 2 of them at 2 weeks. But I still have two and they are collecting up a lot of Fluid, which makes me concerned that the doctor won't remove them on Tuesday. I know this is an important part of healing, but I can't help but wonder: Is there something I can/should be doing to help move the Fluid along and out of me? Change what I eat or how I move? I could really use any advice before I go crazy.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! Here's my late response, wish I'd seen your post sooner - increase your Protein intake and DO everything the doc says. I was able to have my drains removed in 6 days following my TT w/ MR and have had no problems. I followed the Docs orders to the letter and also increased my Protein intake before and after surgery which I believe aided in my healing.

Hey I am 2 weeks Post PS. TT and Breast Lift. I am wondering how much drainage you are having out of each. I am hoping to get mine out Monday but realistically I think I will lose two and keep two. :( What sucks is I am back to work Monday so if I have drains I am traveling onsite with my drains. Yuck.

I also have a big question for you. Do you have a lot of swelling below the pubic line? I feel like I have a package down there! I hope that goes away but I am worried that I am going to have to have that fixed!

Julie

i think sometimes you just drain a lot after surgery. With my mini Tummy Tuck I didnt need drains however when I changed it to a full tummy tuck and then an extended tummy tuck I did need drains.

Right now I am 16 days post op my last surgery and still have a drain and it drains about 100cc a day. The amount increases with the more activity I do.

So maybe rest lost and try not to be too active even if you feel ok and hopefully things will heal fast and you'll get rid of your drain soon.

I am really starting to hate my drain. It's hard to come up with an outfit every day to hid it at work :S

Hi, it's me again. I'm now 4.5 weeks out and STILL have two of my drains, one of which I know I will lose this week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the other will, too. I wish I'd known about pushing Protein pre and post op. I barely ate my first week and didn't eat much the second, either - but I could definitely have made Protein shakes. Except my arms didn't bend well and it hurt to shake the blender bottle! The other thing I could have done more of was milk the drains. I did it but was afraid I'd pull them out so didn't do it nearly as much as I could have. I admit to being pretty obsessed with it now, and look! the drain(s) are coming out.

I probably did too much too fast as well, but since I live alone, there really weren't a lot of options for me. Protecting the belly meant using the arms and visa versa. Let's just say I'm happy I'm this far out and not back where I was.

Julie, you asked

"Do you have a lot of swelling below the pubic line? I feel like I have a package down there! I hope that goes away but I am worried that I am going to have to have that fixed!"

Answer is yes! but I figured out that it's a combo of swelling (and numbness) and the fact that the TT pulled the skin BELOW the incision line up, making the pubic area look like I'm wearing a codpiece. The swelling does seem to be going down and I'm hoping that when the binder goes away, it will help. After all, when the binders on and squeezing us in the middle, the stuff has to go somewhere!

Hope you're doing okay.

Hi, it's me again. I'm now 4.5 weeks out and STILL have two of my drains, one of which I know I will lose this week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the other will, too. I wish I'd known about pushing Protein pre and post op. I barely ate my first week and didn't eat much the second, either - but I could definitely have made Protein shakes. Except my arms didn't bend well and it hurt to shake the blender bottle! The other thing I could have done more of was milk the drains. I did it but was afraid I'd pull them out so didn't do it nearly as much as I could have. I admit to being pretty obsessed with it now, and look! the drain(s) are coming out.

I probably did too much too fast as well, but since I live alone, there really weren't a lot of options for me. Protecting the belly meant using the arms and visa versa. Let's just say I'm happy I'm this far out and not back where I was.

Julie, you asked

Answer is yes! but I figured out that it's a combo of swelling (and numbness) and the fact that the TT pulled the skin BELOW the incision line up, making the pubic area look like I'm wearing a codpiece. The swelling does seem to be going down and I'm hoping that when the binder goes away, it will help. After all, when the binders on and squeezing us in the middle, the stuff has to go somewhere!

Hope you're doing okay.

Milking the drains does help for sure. My drain sometimes get a little stuck with fat so I have to milk it all the time. Also I found I drained faster if I emptied my drain more often. The first 50cc fills fast. Past that doesn't fill so fast.

I understand living alone and trying to rest is hard. I took no time off work, live alone, have dogs and kept my surgeries a secret so I had to appear normal all the time.

What amount must you drain per day before they remove your drain?

What amount must you drain per day before they remove your drain?

I have to be at 30cc daily total per drain for it to go. I know for sure that #2 will come out, since it's down to 25 cc/day (and last week it was at 65, so there's definitely a change!). Drain #4 still produces 55-60 cc but it, too, is lower than last week. The doctor did say something last week about possibly taking them both out this week because it will be 5 weeks by then. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the support (as I sit and drink my Breakfast Protein shake). Much as I hate the stupid drains, I know they're doing their job. It would be nice to have more options of things to wear, tho!

Well good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm still draining around 150cc per day but I only have one drain. I hope it goes soon.

I hear ya on what to wear. I'm a teacher and so my students are starting to notice the bulge on my hip and some have actually seen it. I can't wear the same thing every bloody day but I dont have that many long shirts.

How are things with the drains? Have you still got one?

I sadly had an accident with my first drain and lost it for a few days and now my doc put it back in. I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and still draining about 150cc a day. This is insane!

So I have a random question about your post op state. Do you find you are stiff once you stand up after sitting for a while? I am not sure if it is because I have my drain (causing maybe a suction feeling or something), but I am so damn stiff in my thigh and stomach area ( where the swelling is).

Hope things are healing well.

How are things with the drains? Have you still got one?

Oops, I thought I had posted but obviously forgot!

I finally got my drains out at the five week point. One was clearly ready to come one, collecting only 20cc or so a day. The other one had more, above the 30cc target, but the doc thought they should both be removed because it had been 5 weeks. I'm finding that I'm a lot more swollen and am keeping an eye on things to see if it's "jiggly like waves" which means Fluid easily removed by a needle. Mostly I feel tight and stretched and in need of a serious diuretic! If things haven't gotten better by Monday, I'm going to give the office a call.

So sorry you are still draining about 150cc a day - is that total or in each drain? Because i was also draining about 140-160cc total at 4 weeks, now that I think of it. Hang in there, you WILL get past it!

So I have a random question about your post op state. Do you find you are stiff once you stand up after sitting for a while? I am not sure if it is because I have my drain (causing maybe a suction feeling or something), but I am so damn stiff in my thigh and stomach area ( where the swelling is).

In a word - yes. At least for the thighs, tho the stomach area is okay. I just try to move a bit more and it helps. But then I forget and I'm stiff again. You're not alone.

Good luck with it!

Anne

You had drains in for 5 weeks?? Wow that is nuts!

I am only recovering from a revision and it is getting frustrating because usually I literally jump right back from any surgery. This one will be the death of me

I only have one drain and i only ever had one drain. This one will def be staying with me till it is draining less than 30cc per day. I don't see that happening any time soon though because it is still draining over 100cc per day.

Maybe if I didnt lose my first drain ( I ummmm accidently cut it off and had to take it out myself. Don't worry laugh but dont hurt your self, it was a funny moment I know) and try to go 4 days without a drain I'd be drainless by now.

I know I need this drain because without my drain I was bursting at my incision and it doesnt look the best right now.

I hope you dont need another drain.

Enjoy your freedom :)