Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please keep my little girl in your prayers...

He has diagnosed her with Panic attacks/anxiety disorder, Obsessive compulsive disorder and possibly Bi-Polar disorder.

I feel your sadness. My 18 yr old son was diagnosed with all of the above mentioned when he was 16. It is not easy seeing your child suffer like this I know first hand. My son is on Zoloft as well as depacoat for the mood swings and an occassional xanax. There are good medications that have helped my son tremendously to lead a happy productive life. There is hope. If I can be of any help to you please feel free to PM me or email me anytime. Hang in there and know you are in my thoughts

We went for the EEG last week and should have results sometime this week. The zoloft is starting to make some changes, she is still really moody and that isn't going to change anytime soon. We have had to put counseling on hold as her couselor's husband passed away this weekend, hopefully we can resume those visits soon. We have a sleep study sometime in April, it is really hard to get into the hospital that does them in our area. There is only 1 facility in the entire Chicagoland area that works with kids under 12. So there is a waiting list. I will keep you all updated as I know more. Thanks for all the prayers and private messages. ~Mandy

Mandy-

I just read your posts, and want to say PLEASE know you are doing all of the right things. I have personal experience with these same types of issues with my son. When he was 8 years old he started having very sudden and extreme mood changes. So bad that he was no longer functional in school. He would literally throw himself on the floor in the principal's office and throw a tantrum like a 2 year old at the age of 8. Before this, he had been a perfect little prince. Of course, being in the medical field, I needed to have a reason why. After months of counseling and behavior modification steps, we were finally able to get to the trigger of his anxiety disorder/depression was triggered by 2 events for him. One...was being bullied at school by a teenager, Two was watching the news before going to school right during the time of the 9/11 attacks where he saw a piece where they were interviewing children whose parents had died in the event.

I hope I am not overstepping my boundaries here, but I just have to say something. After 4 years of Zoloft, I still get friends/family ignorantly saying, "So when are you going to take him off of that stuff?" My answer is, "Never...as long as he still needs it." He is old enough now, that he takes his meds at the same time on his own accord every day. My husband and I know instantly if he has gone 2 or more days without it, due to the same sudden changes in his behavior (weepy, depressed, mouthy, angry, anxious). This is the only confirmation that I need in my mind to know without a doubt that the drug does definitely work, and without it...he would again become less functional. People that haven't gone through this don't understand. My thoughts on medicating children are...Thank GOD there are meds out there today that can help. Yes, there are docs that overprescribe as a quick fix. But if there is a definite DIAGNOSED chemical imbalance in the brain causing behavioral changes, this is a PHYSICAL problem. These same relatives/friends wouldn't go up to their grandmother with Congestive Heart Failure who is on Lasix and say, "So...when are you going to go off that life-saving medication?":confused:

Hang in there and stay the course. Zoloft takes more than just a week to see optimal effects. I will also put you and Abigail on our prayer list at church. Sending many hugs and prayers your way.

Robyn

Mandy,

You and your little one are in our prayers.

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I hope it all works out in the best way for your little Abigail.

Amy

:faint: Today was bad. The psych doctor called to give me the EEG results. Abi is having seizures, lots of them, we see the neurologist tuesday. ( I had to cry to get an appointment that soon) I am worried and relieved all at the same time. She is having non-epileptic seizures. We are not sure of the cause, but they are sending her for a sleep study and a catscan to rule out a brain tumor. That would totally explain the nose bleeds, behavior, panic attacks and everything else that is going on with my baby right now. I am praying that is not the case but the doctor says that is worst case. She will go on depacote (sp?) and we will see if that makes her better. If not there are about 20 other meds that we can try but depacote seems to be the most successful and has the least amount of side affects. We are going to continue the Zoloft to help her with the panic attacks, they may be a result of the seizures. I will let everyone know what I find out on tuseday. Thanks for the prayers, please keep them coming. ~Mandy

I sincerely hope your fears are laid to rest. I will certainly keep you and your daughter in my prayers. God bless you..

im praying for you and your little girl. its very hard to see your little one go thru that. i pray that God will give you peace and assurance and will be with the physicians as they diagnose her and find out how to treat her.

Mandy, I've been very slack on keeping up with the boards lately and have only just seen this post. I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

I also just saw this post. I am pleased to hear that the Dr's are getting her thoroughly checked and hopefully they will have a good Dx soon so you can move forward past the unknown and start healing your beautiful little girl! Both of my sons are special needs and I know what it feels like to be in 'limbo' waiting for all the testing to be done. Hang in there and know that you have friends who are thinking and praying for you and your family. God Bless.

:hug: Hey girl! I'm still saying my prayers for you & your little one! Sounds like you have got a good doctor! Sometimes these days that's a rare thing to find. I hope you get nothing but the best possible news Tuesday!

Holy cow.. I have just found and read this entire thread and I'm in tears. My god, Mandy, I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through. The fears, the worry, the tears. Are you taking care of yourself through this? This kind of stress can take a huge toll on your own physical and mental health. If you need help getting through this, talk to your doctor and get some. No matter what that little girl is going through, I know in my heart that she needs her mommy to be well and strong, you are her comfort even though you may sometimes feel like her target of the anger and depression. I know from experience that in times like these we tend to try to blame ourselves somehow. Only you and God know what you've been going through. Bless your heart, and hers. You are well covered in prayers girl, so be brave, all things happen for a reason and everything will work out for the best.

*special hugs to you and your family* Susan

I would like to thank everyone that has responded either here or in PM form. I have recieved more support that you can imagine from my LBT family. However, if you are going to blame my marriage, or family members for my daughter problems, please don't bother. It is of no help to me or the situation to have blame, guilt or whatever put on my head. I am doing the best I can and ALL of the doctors say it is not a family dynamic issue. My daughter has a medical problem/chemical imbalance not a social or family problem. Again, thanks for the support, if that is what you have given. Hugs to all~Mandy

Mandy, I don't know what was in those PMs you received, but it doesn't sound like all of them were helpful. I will believe the best, that whatever was in them came from the perspective of the person sending it... and that they meant to be helpful, and not hateful.

My DD had to have an EEG when she was about 2, to rule out seizures, and I know how stressful these tests can be, esp. on Mommy. My nephew has seizures, and used to take depokote, and now, finally, has an electrical thingie implanted that helps him divert the seizures. He is 20 now. Sweetie, you have good reason to be scared and worried, and I wish I could just put my arm around you and stand by you during these oh-so-difficult days and weeks. I am praying for you and your family. May God hold you up and bring you the ability to comfort yourself, your daughter and your husband. May He guide the doctor's to make wise decisions. God bless you.

Cindy