Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I wish I had known before I got my band

I did the in-depth research on the various weight loss surgeries. I asked the questions. Did more research. Asked more questions. I lurked on this forum and other band forums for months. Despite that, I discovered some things post band that I wish I had known before surgery. Would it have made a difference in whether or not I had it...or whether I had chosen another method than band...I don't know.

When I was lurking in the forums, trying to make up my mind, there were very few negative posts about the band. When someone did post that the band wasn't working for them or they were having difficulties, other posters told them 'the band didn't fail you. You failed the band." It left the impression that the band works for everyone who works the band...and that's just not true.

I wish I had known...

That the band would not restrict the quantity of food I can eat. I got the band because I thought it would make me feel full or make me stop eating...which is how it was advertised at the time and what people were saying it did on the forums. Perhaps it works that way for some but it has never worked that way for me. Even at my sweet spot I can eat as much as I could pre-band *if I choose*.

That the band is not consistent, even at the sweet spot, at controlling hunger. Since the band tightens and loosens even a bit on its own, there are days where the hunger is intense and days where it's controlled. On the hungry days, all I can do is white knuckle it. Sometimes I'm successful, but sometimes it goes on for enough days that I lose it.

That the band can cause phrenic nerve pain that may or may not go away and which may be persistent enough and painful enough to affect my sleep, whether I can sit in a car or plane long enough to go anywhere and my range of motion and general health related to trying to prevent that pain.

That eating would become a daily challenge. Foods that were fine one day, would not be fine the next depending on whether my band tightened or loosened a fraction. That, despite taking small bites and chewing well, I might still find myself in a restaurant unable to eat the meal I had just paid for because my band had tightened.

I'm not trying to convince people to not get the band, or to do vertical sleeve or bypass instead. I just think it's important, and wish the surgeons would be more up front about these problems, so we can make more informed decisions about something so important. For many people, these forums are where they get the information they need when trying to make that decision, so it's important that we be just as honest about the difficulties we've faced with the band. Not to scare them off but so they have *all* the information and not just one side of it.

After 16 months I am in the process of getting my band removed due to the pain it is causing me. Bypass is not an option. There are worse things in life than being fat and, in my opinion, bypass is one of them. At this point in time, I can't bring myself to do the vertical sleeve either. It's just far more invasive than I'm prepared to go at this point.

I've kept journals since I was a teenager. My husband suggested I pull the journals from the period when I lost 70 pounds without the band...and kept it off for almost a decade now. When I look back at my journals from that time, some days were good days...some were bad and I had to whiteknuckle it. Much like I do now except I didn't have to deal with the pain in my arm, stuck and sliming episodes or wondering whether I was going to have to excuse myself from the dinner table. So, I've pretty much decided to give it a go on my own.

One thing the band has done for me is make me far more aware of my eating habits and create new ones that make me more successful at putting down that fork and choosing the right foods. As a result, I no longer take insulin and my diabetes is under control with diet alone. So it's not an experience I regret. It's just life. We make the best choices we can with the information available to us and, if it's not successful, we regroup and revise.

Just my .02.

:DHi,

I am soo glad to hear this info from you. I wanted to hear some honest info out there too, about the lap band. That way we know that we need to look out for these issues too. My lap band is set for 3/28 Mon. at 11 am. and I still can't make up my mind..

My problem is I have to take anti depressants that can't be crushed,cut or dissolved. So I am afraid to go down the tubes again mentally. I will ask the hospital now.. My psyc said to just crush them, but the pharmasist said I can't.. Any info appreciated.

thanks

oceanswaves

:DHi,

I am soo glad to hear this info from you. I wanted to hear some honest info out there too, about the lap band. That way we know that we need to look out for these issues too. My lap band is set for 3/28 Mon. at 11 am. and I still can't make up my mind..

I have no problem swallowing any pills. I take an anti-depressant as well and it is about the size of a thumb tack. I actually have very good restriction (possibly too tight). I don't crush anything. I take ibuprofen 2 at a time with no problems, Vitamins, etc. My doc who has had the band himself says most people really don't need to crush or cut.

Go luck and go for it. You may regret it if you don't try it!

If a small pill can't fit down there, then no way food can haha. So I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe they can switch you to something you can crush? It's only for like 3 weeks before you can eat.