Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to pay more attention at the grocery store!

As many of you know one of my personal favorites is Greek Yohurt. Well I was zoning at the grocery store picking up my weekly truckload and saw a new flavor, Mango! Mmm I thought that sounds good. Well I get them home and they are 2% not nonfat. So I ponder that and say I'm not throughing them away! Who know that 3 g of fat could matter soooo much! Boy do they taste good and so much more creamy. Don't worry I'll be back to my nonfat when these are gone.

Enjoy them :) Nothing wrong with a little treat.

I don't think 3 gms of fat is a big deal. I buy the 2% greek yougurt. Same with cottage cheese. I think the creaminess is worth a few gms of fat.

That's funny I just bought Greek yogurt for the first time and am eating it right now...I bought the fat free and I don't like it! I normally buy regular yogurt (Activia) and 2% cottage cheese because I don't like fat free versions of most stuff. I'm making it work to have the better tasting stuff within my calorie allowance. Enjoy your treat, it sounds yummy! (I may try greek yogurt again but I won't get the fat free next time).

Just check the sugar content on it. Yea, my book says no fruit yogurt for that reason. But I'm sure it's not THAT bad.

My Nut. has never said anything about fruited yoghurt and she knows I have it everyday for Breakfast. I consider it one of my fruit/veggie servings for the day. Tacit approval or wishful thinking?

nu2ywg, I add Splendra to nonfat Greek yoghurt because it is just super sour. Yeh I know artifical sweenter but I won't eat it without. Also since I'm eating it as a meal I add half a scoop of vanilla whey Isolate which brings it to about 25 g. Protein (also add 1 Protein scoop of kashi go lean protein cereal)

Often when you read the labels of fat free and low fat items and compare it to the regular item, there's way more sugar in fat free. I was buying tzaziki last night, and I compared the labels. There was only an 8kj saving between a serve of each of the products, but the regular fat had 0.2grams of sugar, the fat free had 6.8grams!

Now, I think its a tad obsessive to panic over 6 grams of sugar anyway, so it wouldnt worry me, but you really gain nothing nutritionally or calorie wise by choosing fat free or low fat in a lot of instances. If you eat reasonable portions, it just doesnt matter.

but I wouldnt throw them away either - if you like them, who cares? I personally didnt get banded to sweat small stuff like this and I certainly didnt get banded to feel guilty over eating fruit yogurt. That's splitting hairs and does nothing for a good long term relationship with food, to worry about every detail like that.

3 g of fat is 27 calories. All other things being equal. Is the extra creaminess and flavor worth 27 calories? Also, fat can help keep you satisfied longer. It might be a trade-off you are willing to make.

Not having the labels side-by-side, there may be other differences as well.

Honk, you should discover stevia! I'm trying to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible but stevia is natural (from a plant) and you can buy it in individual packets to add to coffee, yogurt etc. :)