Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AYFKM??? -2 lbs since Feb. 2? Seriously?!?!

I had surgery on 1/27/11 and weighed 275 on my surgery date. Starved on liquids till my follow-up appt on 2/2, only to discover I had lost a whopping 2 lbs even while starving every day since surgery. I can't weigh myself daily and have to keep my scale in the garage so I won't obsess. Hopped on a scale this weekend at the gym and again at the doctor today (my GP - had a cold) and I am down a whopping TWO FREAKING POUNDS to 271 in the past 3 weeks. Seriously??? I have been tracking every bite that goes in my mouth since Feb. 2 and am generally between 1200-1500 calories a day. I am 5'11" and the Lap Band food Diary says I should be burning an average of 3200 calories per day, without exercise. I have added walking and went 4 times last week. What gives, people??? By my calculations, I should be losing at least 3 lbs a week, not 2 lbs in 3 weeks. This is why diets never work for me. I never seem to lose and I'm like, well what's the friggen point? If I'm not going to lose anyway, I might as well eat what I want and how much I want. I have been SOOOO good, tracking EVERYTHING, even Vitamins, eating small meals, using my tiny utensils, eating every 2.5-3 hrs only when I'm hungry, making good choices and getting lots of Protein and keeping my calories in check, all without restriction. I am at the point of saying F*ck it and just giving up till I have my first fill on March 2. Now I'm worried that I won't even lose any weight with restriction. Everyone else I've seen on here has had fantastic results the first 1-2 mths, even if they slow down later. Anyone out there experienced this kind of frustration and disappointment and STILL reached their goals? If so, I really really really need to hear from you!

Cat

Are you hungry? How much Protein are you getting?

I've had really good luck, but my weight loss has slowed down. I'm lucky to lose 1lb a week. I take thyroid medicine and my thyroid levels have been out of whack, which affects my weight loss. I've been flip-flopping around between 167 and 170 for this past week. I'm so close to being half way to my goal (I'm only 4'8") that it is a little bit frustrating.

Just hang in there. You can do it!

Are you hungry? How much Protein are you getting?

I've had really good luck, but my weight loss has slowed down. I'm lucky to lose 1lb a week. I take thyroid medicine and my thyroid levels have been out of whack, which affects my weight loss. I've been flip-flopping around between 167 and 170 for this past week. I'm so close to being half way to my goal (I'm only 4'8") that it is a little bit frustrating.

Just hang in there. You can do it!

Hungry at least every 2.5-3.5 hrs, and I always wait to eat till I'm hungry. I get a ton of Protein, a minimum of 60 g but usually closer to 90 g daily. My husband thinks my metabolism may have slowed down, but then why do I seem to be the only one on here not losing in the first month? Is everyone else just that much better at exercising like fiends right out of the gate to keep their metabolism up? I walked a few times the first few weeks, but didn't really ramp up until last week, when I walked 4x. I'll continue to ramp up the exercise in the continuing weeks, but not convinced that this is the issue. Would love to hear from others out there with any feedback or similar experiences!

I hear your frustration. Please understand until you get filled you are going to have increased hunger because you are somewhat dieting right now. This is what bandster hell is! I am only 3 months out, and just had my 3rd fill; I have 5.7 cc in a 10 cc band. As of yesterday I have lost 38.2 pounds. I am at what they call there sweet spot. Some people find it at 2 fills some at 6+ fills. No matter, you lost 2 pounds. Would have lost weight by eating whatever and not exercising? Try not to be so hard on yourself, depression puts weight on you. Have you gone to a doctor to talk about your depression?

I hear your frustration. Please understand until you get filled you are going to have increased hunger because you are somewhat dieting right now. This is what bandster hell is! I am only 3 months out, and just had my 3rd fill; I have 5.7 cc in a 10 cc band. As of yesterday I have lost 38.2 pounds. I am at what they call there sweet spot. Some people find it at 2 fills some at 6+ fills. No matter, you lost 2 pounds. Would have lost weight by eating whatever and not exercising? Try not to be so hard on yourself, depression puts weight on you. Have you gone to a doctor to talk about your depression?

Not depressed at all, and this is a bit of a sensitive subject for me. Seems that the default assumption when someone is upset, angry, frustrated, etc. by their situation - they must be depressed. That is NOT the issue. Being frustrated to begin with and then seeing a thread for January bandsters in which everyone is losing significant amounts of weight did end up in a crying jag, however. Point taken about the alternative - would not have lost ANY lbs and probably would be heavier at this point if I had not done this. I just get tired of feeling like I'm in the worst case scenario with everything in regards to the band. I'd like some of the ease and success that others seem to be having!

P.S. Congrats on your success! 38+ lbs is awesome!

Cat

You seem frustrated to the max. Take a step back, breathe, and realize some things.

For one, there is no set amount of weight you *should* be losing. I don't care what any calorie counter, exercise counter, or piece of gym equipment tells you, there is NOT a set amount of weight you should be losing. With the band the average weight loss per week is 1-2lbs. Some weeks you'll hit this range, other weeks you won't. There is no guarantee of what you will or should be losing.

Also, the scale is not the only measurement of your success. Do you feel better physically? Have you dropped any clothing sizes? Have you taken your measurements and compared? The scale is just one part of your weight loss journey.

How far are you walking? How fast? I didn't lose a lot of weight while just walking. Maybe you can incorporate something a bit more strenuous that will get your heart rate up. Try some cardio or maybe even light weight-lifting. You can find PLENTY of free exercise videos online.

I say be patient, play around with your calories, exercise more, and...breathe.

You are not the only one by far. I was banded 12/20, I lost the first week post op, the stalled til I started eating normally 3-4 weeks later. Now I am losing, albeit slowly. Usually only 1 lb per week, maybe a little more or a little less. I would love to lose faster, but right now it is not happening. I have no fill yet until march 4th, maybe that will kick it up a notch. So right now I have no restriction and there is nothing I have found that I can't eat (not that I want it to be that way). So no you are not alone. I have only lost like 24 lbs (on iPhone not sure of exact loss) and 9.6 lbs of that was pre op, and 9.2 the week post op, in 2 months. Wishing for more

Yea, just breathe, and take a step back.

Lower your calories a little bit? I know it's generally between 800-1200 to lose weight. It's easier to eat less calories, than to burn them off. You have to burn 3500 excess calories to lose a pound. It's really hard to burn 10,000 excess calories a week to lose 3 pounds! Unless you are extremely heavy, then little activity burns way more calories.

Also you just had surgery a month ago, the first month is generally healing... and then you get back on real food it slows again. My weight loss didn't really start until then.

I am the ultimate slow loser. Today I had like my 10 fill and after 6 months am at 10.6 CCs. I understand you are trying to stay under 1,500 cal but I would also review what you're eating. Take a look at what your trigger foods are. For me it's crackers, chips (even low fat), Cereal. Until you have restrition you can eat all you want. Personally I had trouble with Bare Naked chocolate granola, ate it by the hand fulls; and honey roasted crunchy Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Had to stop cold turkey.

Regarding exercise I highly recommend lap swimming. It is easier for over weight people to do because it's easy on the joints. When I started (way before banding) I did an hour. I still do an hour but am now able to work a lot harder.

I'm a slow loser as well. I average about a pound a week despite the fact that 'according to the charts', I should be losing 3-4 pounds per week given that I'm eating a fraction of what I used to and I'm exercising...something I never did.

On the plus side, it's obvious I've lost weight and many people think I'm losing more than I actually am because my body is firmer, less bloated, reshaping where the fat lies (not so much in my belly anymore).

I'm not worrying about the weight anymore. For me it's all about creating healthier habits and controlling my diabetes. Losing weight is just the bonus.

I agree with Elfiepoo that for me the weight distribution has been different in this banding process. Ten years ago I went on a MAJOR diet lost well over 100 exercised daily (including weight lifting). It was more of a low fat diet. I find this time with more of Protein based diet (low fat somewhat low carb) that I am taking lower sizes at a higher weight!

I have been banded just over a year and have been a slow loser as well. But, I have been very happy with my loss. I've lost on average a pound a week. Sometimes it's frustrating, but I keep telling myself "at least I'm not gaining a pound a week!". One of the benefits of losing slow is not having the hanging excess skin that by-pass patients have. Hang in there and don't be hard on yourself. Remember, this is a lifestyle change.

I know exactly how you feel. its hard for me to give you positive feed back b/c i am in the same boat. I am very frustrated about my weight loss and just about ready to quit. I had the surgery on 12-15 and I am down only 16 pounds with one fill. I have a little restriction but I feel like I can eat anything I want, but I am not.. So I know.. Lets hang in there and see whats happen..

Keep your head up...

I am the ultimate slow loser. Today I had like my 10 fill and after 6 months am at 10.6 CCs. I understand you are trying to stay under 1,500 cal but I would also review what you're eating. Take a look at what your trigger foods are. For me it's crackers, chips (even low fat), Cereal. Until you have restrition you can eat all you want. Personally I had trouble with Bare Naked chocolate granola, ate it by the hand fulls; and honey roasted crunchy Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Had to stop cold turkey.

Regarding exercise I highly recommend lap swimming. It is easier for over weight people to do because it's easy on the joints. When I started (way before banding) I did an hour. I still do an hour but am now able to work a lot harder.

Thank you so much to all of you! Seeing that even the "slow losers" end up with big success over time is very heartening. Ya know, I just get these goals in my head of how much I want to have lost by XYZ date, and my body is not cooperating. I have lost an inch off my waist. Honk, did you post somewhere else that you use a waterproof MP3 player? If so, could you give me the deets on that? I have very sensitive ears and swimming is sometimes difficult as a result, but maybe with earphones this would be less of a problem. I can't do any weight training or yoga till I get clearance from my doc at my 5 week post op appt on March 2, so till then I'm pretty much walking or walking. Would be nice to mix it up a bit.

Cat

Not depressed at all, and this is a bit of a sensitive subject for me. Seems that the default assumption when someone is upset, angry, frustrated, etc. by their situation - they must be depressed. That is NOT the issue. Being frustrated to begin with and then seeing a thread for January bandsters in which everyone is losing significant amounts of weight did end up in a crying jag, however. Point taken about the alternative - would not have lost ANY lbs and probably would be heavier at this point if I had not done this. I just get tired of feeling like I'm in the worst case scenario with everything in regards to the band. I'd like some of the ease and success that others seem to be having!

P.S. Congrats on your success! 38+ lbs is awesome!

Cat