Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Have Nighttime Reflux Coughing Or Vomitting?

I've been having nighttime reflux/coughing/vomitting with varying degrees of severity for some time now. It doesn't seem to matter when I eat my last meal. When I lay down to sleep I wake up in the middle of the night with coughing and vomitting. This happens most nights of the week. I have the head of my bed propped up, I try to sleep with lots of pillows (I usually end up slideing off of them and sleeping flat), and its worse if I'm on my left side than on my right. When I get up and vomit, my stomach contents are primarily liquid and phlegmy, no solid pieces of food. So there's no blockage of the band opening.

I had an UGI done 12/2009, diagnosed a hiatal hernia; repaired 03/2010. Band tightened 07/2010, untightened 10/2010. Vomiting improved after unfill, but not gone completely. Does anyone have any insight on how to help this?

talk to your doc about nexium.. I was told to prop up my bed but only use one pillow. Multiple pillows actually put too much pressure.

I've been having nighttime reflux/coughing/vomitting with varying degrees of severity for some time now. It doesn't seem to matter when I eat my last meal. When I lay down to sleep I wake up in the middle of the night with coughing and vomitting. This happens most nights of the week. I have the head of my bed propped up, I try to sleep with lots of pillows (I usually end up slideing off of them and sleeping flat), and its worse if I'm on my left side than on my right. When I get up and vomit, my stomach contents are primarily liquid and phlegmy, no solid pieces of food. So there's no blockage of the band opening.

I had an UGI done 12/2009, diagnosed a hiatal hernia; repaired 03/2010. Band tightened 07/2010, untightened 10/2010. Vomiting improved after unfill, but not gone completely. Does anyone have any insight on how to help this?

I should have mentioned that I've been on Nexium, Prevacid, and Prilosec, with no noticable relief.

talk to your doc about nexium.. I was told to prop up my bed but only use one pillow. Multiple pillows actually put too much pressure.

I had the same symptoms. A barium swallow showed a slip; I had surgery on the 18th to repair. Was back to work on the following Monday. Went for my post op yesterday and had 4ccs of fill put in my empty band. It was a long night last night, lots of gurgling and hicups. I guess I have to get used to the band all over again. At least I have no more reflux. The waking up in the night choking was getting really old. I would call your Dr. and ask for an x-ray to see if the band has slipped.

I had the same symptoms. A barium swallow showed a slip; I had surgery on the 18th to repair. Was back to work on the following Monday. Went for my post op yesterday and had 4ccs of fill put in my empty band. It was a long night last night, lots of gurgling and hicups. I guess I have to get used to the band all over again. At least I have no more reflux. The waking up in the night choking was getting really old. I would call your Dr. and ask for an x-ray to see if the band has slipped.

Pam:

Sounds like you may be too tight too - lots of gurgling and hicups. You might want to check in with your doctor. I'm on band #2 after a slip last spring. I'm nervous about getting another slip because I'm not so sure I'd do band #3.

Hope you both feel more comfortable soon.

Sue

I had similar problems. I would start to fall asleep and would suddenly wake up choking and it was always liquid. I have to drink Water before going to bed because I take a sleep aid and it would just be a struggle. I would dread night time because I knew what was coming. I also started getting really sick with coughs and chest/throat soreness all the time.

Finally I went back to see the doctor and he ordered an upper GI test. It turns out that my band was so tight that the space for food to go through was the width of a hair! When I got to my surgeon's office with the results of the test, the nurse heard me talk and commented that I sounded very hoarse, and that the band was probably too tight (I guess that's a symptom). For some reason, even though the dr. only did two fills, and very small ones at that, it was too much. He had to remove all the filling and that finally helped with the night time choking.

You should contact your doctor and let the staff there know what's going on. They've heard it all before and can probably give you ideas on what to do and you can both decide if a test is needed.

Unfortunately for me, although the unfilling helped, I had way too many other issues going on and decided to have the band removed. My surgery removal was two weeks ago and I am still recovering but I think I rather do it on my own.

Good luck to you and I hope you find some relief soon.

Sarah

Wanted to bring this issue back to life and see if anyone else out there is having or had the same problem. My reflux started when my band slipped back in Oct of 2010. Had surgery to reset the band in place. The reflux subsided for approximately 2 months and then gradually became worse as my fill was being added. This past July I was completely "unfilled" and in August I was diagnosed with Aspiration pneumonia all due to reflux caused by the band. All along taking Nexium 2x per day. Needless to say the pneumonia has struck again so the band is being removed tomorrow. I have mixed emotions, but am so looking forward to finally getting a good nights sleep. I just hope that everyone realizes that the choking/vomiting in the night can cause you to aspirate which can kill you, this is not something to take lightly.

Wanted to bring this issue back to life and see if anyone else out there is having or had the same problem. My reflux started when my band slipped back in Oct of 2010. Had surgery to reset the band in place. The reflux subsided for approximately 2 months and then gradually became worse as my fill was being added. This past July I was completely "unfilled" and in August I was diagnosed with Aspiration pneumonia all due to reflux caused by the band. All along taking Nexium 2x per day. Needless to say the pneumonia has struck again so the band is being removed tomorrow. I have mixed emotions, but am so looking forward to finally getting a good nights sleep. I just hope that everyone realizes that the choking/vomiting in the night can cause you to aspirate which can kill you, this is not something to take lightly.

Just wanted to get some information from anyones that had the band removed -- my husband is on his second band and it's not working, but even worse he's starting to wake up in the middle of the night choking. It's very scarey to see him go through this and I think we might be at the point in wanting to have this damn band removed. What kind of issues are there in having the band removed? It is a struggle with insurance, etc? Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Just wanted to get some information from anyones that had the band removed -- my husband is on his second band and it's not working, but even worse he's starting to wake up in the middle of the night choking. It's very scarey to see him go through this and I think we might be at the point in wanting to have this damn band removed. What kind of issues are there in having the band removed? It is a struggle with insurance, etc? Any info you can provide would be helpful.

I had my band removed on Oct 20th. That night was the first night in months that I had absolutely no night time symptoms ie, reflux, choking, etc. It is amazing to finally get a good nights sleep. The surgery was very quick and I was feeling myself in just a couple days. My insurance covered the surgery 100%, I think having the diagnosis of Aspiration Pneumonia was a plus. The band had to come out!

This is just like my story, but I went to my doctor (after two months of this) and he took our 1.5 cc. I slept that night for the first time in my bed all night! Then the next day I was able to eat and keep everything down. Please anyone going through this, go see your doctor. It is a simple solution and for me I feel great!

I had a similar situation, I had the band out this am and am so much happier.

I had slippage, too! But did not have the band removed. The surgeon repaired my band and I now have 3 1/2 cc in it. I am at peace with my band. I have no more nighttime coughing, spitting up etc. Loving my band again. Karen

I just had my band removed yesterday. OMG I feel so much better. Like I know it's not there anymore. I elected to have the band removed because of the awful reflux, night time coughing and throwing up. I was also diagnosed with gastricparises (spelling??). I decided that I did not want any problems down the road with a revision. My insurance covered 100%. My doctors office said it is easier to get the removal covered than a revision. I was trying to revise to the Gastric Sleeve, but my insurance said no. I am up and walking around, no pain. good luck in everyones journey. When the band is working correctly it works. Happy Turkey day to all.

I’ve had my lap band since 1995, suppose to be deflated completely. For the last few years, I’m having horrible GI issues, choking on thick, liquid mucous at night, coming out of my nose. Occasionally so bad that I can’t breath and wake up gasping for air. I’ve tried sleeping elevated, sitting up. I never get a good nights sleep. I’m already on nexium which helped with the acid but not the reflux. It’s been so long since the band was placed I’m worried it’s adhered to my stomach and can’t be removed without causing worse complications. I’ve had several bouts with bronchitis, and chronic cough. My weight has fluctuated. I occasionally have to vomit when my stomach rejects something I’ve eaten. Wondered if anyone has suggestions on what I can do.