Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I crazy to do this???

I went to my first consultation yesterday for the lap band..and now I am really anxious to do it. They had one of their "go to girls" talk to me..and I swear it didn't even look like she had the surgery! She looked like she had been petite and tiny her whole life!!! I was shocked. I know this would work for me. But I kinda think I'm too young?? I don't know. I'm 20, 5'3 and I weigh 208. I have two kids who I blame this fatness on lol. My stomach is big OF COURSE and my arms are huge. I have a nasty double chin and ugh, I'm just so unhappy and so uncomfortable. Ive been chubby my WHOLE life. I know if I did this surgery I could lose all the weight I planned to and more. But i'm just so worried about the price. I wasn't approved by my insurance so i'd have to self pay. its 11,000. Am I crazy? Do I really need to do this? I feel I do. I know I could never be petite and tiny if I did this by myself.

I dont think you are crazy for doing this at all. If you feel like i do, you may be desperate for change. I had my consultation today. They told me they would not be able to do it. I was so discouraged yet again. I have to go to Columbus Ohio to get it done, due to the fact that i am very obese. But that is ok, I am going to keep pushing forward and trying to get it done. This will only be my third dr. THis is rediculus. I feel like i am crazy and running into walls for doing it to. I am not giving up and you should not either. Look at the benifits in the long run. This is what is keeping me going. :thumbup:

Best thing I ever did. I was self-pay too and it is worth the money for me. Research it good and make sure you know what you are getting into and if you think you can follow the rules go for it. I did and am so happy I did

Cheri

Do not let him scare you he is moving all over the threads spilling his words of hate. He is not even banded.

Cheri

Edited by 123crod

I also have a right to say what I want to.

stop telling people not to listen to me. I find it rude. We both have the right to express our opinion and then thats it. You dont have to tell people I a msome lunatic just because I have a different opinion and circumstance

Axel,

While it is truly lovely that you know how to use Google, the opinion of someone who merely reads internet articles isn't very useful. The fact is, she came to this forum looking for the advice of people who have been banded and have some real life experience. There are band failures, but I can also find you internet articles about three-headed alien dogs and babies born to 86 year old mothers.

It is important for anyone looking into this procedure, to question and ask advice. But if you don't have any experience with the issue, you're not doing anyone any favors by ranting. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean it's justified.

Cindy

I went to my first consultation yesterday for the LAP-BAND®..and now I am really anxious to do it. They had one of their "go to girls" talk to me..and I swear it didn't even look like she had the surgery! She looked like she had been petite and tiny her whole life!!! I was shocked. I know this would work for me. But I kinda think I'm too young?? I don't know. I'm 20, 5'3 and I weigh 208. I have two kids who I blame this fatness on lol. My stomach is big OF COURSE and my arms are huge. I have a nasty double chin and ugh, I'm just so unhappy and so uncomfortable. Ive been chubby my WHOLE life. I know if I did this surgery I could lose all the weight I planned to and more. But i'm just so worried about the price. I wasn't approved by my insurance so i'd have to self pay. its 11,000. Am I crazy? Do I really need to do this? I feel I do. I know I could never be petite and tiny if I did this by myself.

Alisabeth,

You are right...you are young and it is a whole lot of money.

You seem really motivated and you may do well with a non-surgical option, but if things don't work out, don't wait forever. If you don't make a big lifestyle change right now, your weight will get progressively worse and then surgery will be your best option. I know it's hard to deal with weight issues when you've got two little kids. Everyone always needs something, but sometimes Mom needs to come first.

I spent my whole life running from one diet to another and I hate to see anyone do that. It doesn't work and it leaves you heavier every time. There are many options in the weight loss world. Do your research, figure out what you want and go for it!

Cindy

[:thumbdown:QUOTE=123crod;1548454]Do not let him scare you he is moving all over the threads spilling his words of hate. He is not even banded.

Cheri

Cheri, I think it is a "little odd" that the person is using the name "Axel" to spread his negativity, because Alex is the founder of LBT. This person has some hidden agenda in my opinion. I'm also suspect when people post& don't include info in their profile.

Edited by icequeen813
forgot to add another statement

Alisabeth-- I am very happy that I spent $10,200 for my band, I studied the surgery carefully, decided that I was ready to make the life style changes that are necessary, I found a Dr who had done hundreds of band surgeries and then had it done. I have lost 100 % of my excess weight and I have stayed between 130-135 for 3 months with no effort at all.

Here is a good web site to get factual information, www.pubmed.gov it is where clinical studies are posted by the government. Use the search for adjustable gastric band.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

stop telling people not to listen to me. I find it rude. We both have the right to express our opinion and then thats it. You dont have to tell people I a msome lunatic just because I have a different opinion and circumstance

You seem like an expert with your experience and all but wow, where did you get your info? The failure rate could be true although it seems high to me. I think too many people go into this thinking its a cakewalk. You have to put work into it to get the results you want. Most on here seem to get to goal and beyond. As far as the complications, there are risks with anything you do in life. If you follow the rules your dr gives you it greatly reduces the risks of complications and failure. Most complications are caused by not following the rules. For instance I hear people say they eat solid foods right after a fill. Your body needs 1-2 days to recoop.(amt of time depends on dr).

Most important point, your only 20(I wish they had this when I was 20)do it now because it gets harder the older you get. I say do it now, but like someone said, research it until you feel comfortable with your decision you have time.

Last point, what are your risks if you dont do something. I dont know your history but we've all been where you are. Young, thinking "Ill lose weight on my own" only to keep putting it off or trying and failing, all the while gaining more and more weight as time goes on. I say do it now because you can greatly increase your quality of life while your still young enough to enjoy yourself.

RESEARCH is key, this may not be for you!

Edited by loserbob
f

I'm 20, 5'3 and I weigh 208.

I wasn't approved by my insurance so i'd have to self pay. its 11,000.

Hi Alisabeth, based on your height and weight your BMI is a little over 36, which is where mine was when I had surgery. I can completely relate to your desire to have the surgery and be healthy!

I was 43 when I was banded, I wish I could have done it when I was younger.

You say your were denied by insurance, does your insurance cover weight loss surgery? If so, what are their requirements? Many companies deny a first request and you have to appeal. I did, and I won. So the fact that you were denied the first time doesn't always mean they won't cover you.

Each company has specific requirments, but generally for a BMI between 35 and 39 you need to have a co-morbid condition such as high-blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, joint problems, and the like. Your doctors can determine if you have any.

Check out obesitylaw.com they can help with appeals and their services are free.

according to the fda trials people only lost on average 35 percent of their excess weight. this means you would only lose about 30-40 pounds or so. Not worth risk of a surgery. LAP-BAND has many late complications, it erodes . doctors dont like to tell you that. also you vomit a lot and food can get stuck and come back up. The doctors call that productive burping which i think is decieving. I read productive burping hurts and obviously not being able to take down food is dangerous

As to the above.... none of the WLS procedures give 100% of weight loss; patients have to do their share of the work. See this link for more info:

Weight Loss Surgery Comparison | WLS Basics | Weight Loss Surgery

It has a chart of various procedures and pros/cons of each along with percentage of expected weight loss at five years. Band has the lowest percentage of excess weight lost, but to me it has the lowest change of our natural anatomy. If you do your share, you can lose 100% of excess weight, I did, as did many who post here.

Productive Burping is not vomiting. It is as the name suggests BURPing. Like a baby spits up milk, sometimes a band patient burps and a bit of stuff comes up. There is no retching involved. Burping doesn't hurt.

Food can become stuck with a band, as it can with bypass. You can reduce the risk by taking small bites and chewing well. Having food stuck does hurt. A stuck episode will usually resolve in short order. While you cannot eat more food while the episode is going on, once resolved, you will be able to consume food again.

Erosions can occur, I was warned of the possibility. It is a risk we accept when we choose to be banded. Other procedures have risks as well. With malabsorptive procedures you can become malnourised. With bypass it can leak. With sleeve you can get a stricture.

Keep researching and asking questions!!

I think if you can find a way to afford it, you are not crazy for wanting to have the procedure. I am 4'8" and weighed 215 just before I had the procedure on 09/08/10. I've lost 30 lbs (including from when I started on pre-op diet) now and people are really noticing. I turn 40 this next year and I was just ready to be healthy and to look good of course. Good luck to you.

if you tried to loose that weight for quite some time and nothing worked you may as well do it. 11k for extra years of life - I would take that deal