Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Yesterday!

Hi!

Nora here from Illinois. I am a 25 year old wife and college student. I was banded in Oak Brook, IL by Dr. Brad Watkins on 9-13-10. My procedure went perfectly as did my 1 week pre-op liquid diet (though if I never see a Protein Shake again, I won't be too disappointed:biggrin:) I lost about 10lbs in that week, but it was difficult-especially in the beginning. I also started walking again and walked about 5 days that week (30mins-1 hr each day).

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, but I'm trying to move around as much as possible. I am not able to find a comfortable position when laying down as of this point. Pain is bearable-I'm taking my liquid Vicodin, and I'm trying to follow my instructions to the "t." I am not hungry at all.

My highest adult weight was 240.4lbs (March 19th 2010) and I weighed 207.8 yesterday morning before surgery. My goal is 130lbs (I am 5.5 1/2)

I had a SILS procedure (single incision laporoscopic surgery), though there are 2 additional (very tiny incisions) that were used for the light source and the liver retractor. My port as well as the trocars were inserted through my navel (my port is attached to the muscle under my navel). I am most sore there. Also dealing with a sore throat from the intubation (and my chattiness from the feel good drugs lol), and I also have pains in my shoulders from the gas they pumped in during the procedure.

I've been a long time reader of these boards and felt like now would be a great time to be a part of the community, so I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys!!

Hey gratz on your Surgery! I was banded on the 7th. Everyday gets better, and better!

Hi Nora.

It sounds like you are doing great. You already lost quite a bit of weight, mostly pre-surgery. I'm still waiting for my procedure. I'll be banded in 3 days, on 9/17.

I appreciate hearing from people who have been banded so I know what to expect post op. My doctor performs SILS and has a cool video on his website describing it so I was particularly interested in how you felt afterwards.

Keep in touch.

Maxi from New York

Hi Nora,

Glad to hear the surgery went well! Even happier to hear that you had it done by Dr. Watkins. I actually met with him yesterday and he mentioned he did 2 surgerys in the morning. Amazing one was you and I found you on this website! I'm really excited and almost 100% sure im going to go with the procedure! How long did it take for you to get the procedure done after your first consultation? Did your insurance cover it? Im waiting for a call back from the office with an answer regarding my insurance coverage! I hope to get it done in November latest December hopefully.

This forum is great....lots of different stories and my questions are getting answered :thumbup:

Hey!

Very cool that we "ran into" each other on here:)

I am not heavy enough for my insurance company to cover the procedure, and I was not willing to do a 6 month medically-supervised diet beforehand anyways (the amount of hoops they make you jump through seemed so stressful to me). I was a self-pay patient and it was an extremely smooth and quick process. My first appointment was on 8-16-10. I was there about 4 hours and got to ask TONS of questions. Not only is Dr. Watkins himself great, his medical and office staff are super as well!

The following week, 8-24-10, I came back for a shorter pre-op appointment. I was banded yesterday 9-13, and will be going back into the office for my one week check up on 9-20. My first fill will be 4 weeks after the surgery, 10-13.

I really hope that if you decide that this procedure is what you want, go with Dr. Watkins! I have dealt with many different medical professionals in my life for various ailments, but the team at Synchrony Health Chicago Weight Loss is second to none. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the band or how I'm progressing. I would love to share my story with you and it would be super if I could help answer any questions you might have (I didn't know anyone who was banded beforehand so I didn't get the chance to ask some of the things I really wanted to know:)

Thanks!

Nora

Edited by nkl1201
Wrong dates, grammar lol

Nora,

I am very anxious! I am still waiting for the call. Im going to call tomorrow morning. I hope my insurance covers it and if not o well im still going to do it! Money will not hold me back lol Im kind of nervous but excited! Yes, the staff and doctor seem very nice! I was speaking with one of his sec for a while and she was very informative and answered questions straight forward. Is your port in you belly button? I'm kind of afraid about being able to see the port or feel it. Or the scars? Dr Watkins says they are very small and when I am going to run around in a bikini you will not be able to see it! hehe he's very nice and funny also. I noticed you are around the same age as I am and he mentioned that most of his successful highest/fastest weight loss patients are young like me. I hope it will work for me. How are you feeling?

Hey Fay!

Yes, I did have the SILS procedure (Single-Incision) with the port behind the belly button, though it is technically 3 incisions. The belly button one is the largest one though I can't see a darn thing there..just has some steri strips around it and I have no bruising, bleeding, anything. I haven't touched it, and I am not worried about feeling the port or anything. I have the Lap Band with the lowest profile port so I should be fine, according to the Dr.

The other incisions are so tiny...I was told I can put Mederma or Scar Guard on them after the steri strips come off in two weeks. He also said I was a good candidate because younger, lighter patients tend to be some of the most successful and he wants there to be the cosmetic incentive to being able to run around in a bikini (geez I can't wait...don't even remember the last time I could wear ANYTHING midriff baring:)

I am feeling so-so. Most of my pain is actually in my neck/shoulders from the gas they pump into you as well as my hernia repair. I had no idea I had a hiatal hernia, but he says practically all his patients have had one and by reparing it, thethe band will be more secure, etc.

I'm taking it easy..walking around the house a lot and trying to stay hydrated.

Hello I am interested in getting information in regards to Dr Watkins..I live in close to Oak Brook and that may be better for me...I am currently set to have my surgery at the Day One clinic downtown and I am self pay so I can go with whom I want...Please let me know I like to know more about the procedure you had...thanks Jackie

Hi-

Originally, I also was going to go with Day One (Oswego office-Dr. Woodard), but decided I wasn't ready at the time (this was last fall). My experience with Dr. Watkins in Oak Brook, however, has been fantastic. The entire self-pay process was extremely organized and I feel that the price was very competitive (though to me, quality of care and technical expertise can't really be defined monetarily-this is too "big" of an event to try to do just because of a "deal.") I was even able to get the SILS (single-incision laparoscopic surgery) which I wouldn't have been able to do with Dr. Woodard at the time.

I had two pre-op appointments, and everything was so very thorough. I have TONS of info, from the pre-op diet, to discharge instructions, a detailed post-op nutrition plan, etc. My first appointment was on 8-16 (if I remember correctly), then I came back a week later for some pre-op work (blood, ekg, metabolic testing, etc.) and finally started my one week of pre-op liquids on 9-6-10. My surgery was this last Monday, 9-13-10. So far, I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about the entire "team" at Synchrony Chicago Weight Loss. My surgery went very smoothly, and the care I received at the Oak Brook Surgical center was actually better than any medical treatment I have received anywhere before. From the nurses to the anesthesiologist, to of course Dr. Watkins, everyone took such amazing care of me that I can't really thank them enough! Please let me know if you have any more questions. Best of luck! I don't regret this choice for an instant:smile:

Yay! Nora! So happy to hear all the positive outcomes! and from what I hear Dr. Watkins is the way to go! Im super excited and I got an email back from Melody and my insurance accepts this procedure! But I have to do a 3 month diet :unsure: So looks like Dec is the month for me! I'm getting really excited now!