Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about fills, protein shakes and suppliments....

Apologies for all the questions!

Firstly I am three weeks post op and I am down 15lbs. I have been in bandster hell for about a week (bad hunger, no restriction and no weight loss). This morning I went to see my doctor to check on my scars and mentioned my hunger. He gave me my first fill (I was expecting it next week). I got 7ccs in my 11cc band. This seemed like a lot to me. Initially he filled it so much that Water got stuck. So my first question is this amount of fill normal? What could the effects be of getting filled too quickly? I know another girl (who is a member here!) who has the same doctor and she got band erosion. Anyway I have to go back in two weeks for another check.

Secondly, now I have restriction I can tell it's going to be difficult to get my Protein in. I live in Korea so I want to order some Protein powder from the States. Can anyone recommend some good brands?

Thirdly, the last time I lost a significant amount of weight (70lbs in 4 months - eek!) I suffered from hair thinning. I want to avoid this at all costs. Are there any suppliments that help with this or is it just a case of getting enough protein? Also which Vitamins and minerals should I be taking on a daily basis?

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

As far as the Protein I buy muscle milk from costco online but Amazon.com sells many different Protein Shakes and I always like to read the reviews on them before I buy. One that always has great reviews is Unjury Protein Drink and you can buy from Amazon or directly from Unjury's website. As far as Vitamins go, my doc told me to take Centrum silver Multivitamin, as well as Calcium supplements and Iron. These should also help with hair thinning, also any Vitamin containing Biotin should help with hair issues. Hope this helps some. Take Care.

I was told the Protein helps with the hair and also try B-50.

As far as multivitamin, I was told either flintstones complete or Centrum chewable (they made sure to say not to get Centrum silver for some reason).

GNC.com has a Calcium that is chewable and they are cherry flavored. Be sure calcium contains calcium citrate. gnc.com sells stuff online and I'm sure it could be delivered to korea.

the unjury is a good Protein Powder also.

And (although not as much protein) carnation instant Breakfast is good in my opinion :)

Also don't take multi Vitamin within 2 hours of any other supplement or you are taking them for nothing as your body will not absorb it. And not to take your calcium all at once or you body will not absorb it.

Example:

8:00am calcium citrate chewable

11:00am multivitamin chewable

3:00pm calcium citrate chewable

8:00pm calcium citrate chewable

spread them out throughout the day.

Edited by PuppyBandit

I like the unjury Protein powder the best and order it off their site. Quick to ship and packaged extremely well. chocolate with milk is the best by far. Unflavored I add to a 20 oz bottle with a pack of Crystal Light and can't taste it. vanilla I use with fruits for a smoothie. Don't care for the strawberry and chicken Soup flavor I would not be able to get warm enough to enjoy.

I take Centrum chewables, Oscal chewables for Calcium, and 5000mg Biotin daily for hair. That's it. Lately I've been drinking 2 Protein shakes a day and it has helped alot.

By the way, 7 cc's in a 10cc band for a first fill is almost unheard of. Extremely large amount at one time. The most I ever received at once was 2 cc's and even then they had to back out a touch so I could drink Water. I'm now up to 7.8 cc's and it's a good place. But it may be much different for you. Be very careful...you may have alot of restriction from that one and hopefully it won't get tighter. Get in your fluids and protein should help with the hunger. Also drinking a Fiber supplement like Metamucil can help.

Though I know we are all different, that fill seems like a lot for a first fill! I have a 10cc band and was overfilled for me at 5.5 cc. THey did 2 cc the first fill, 2cc the second fill, 1 cc the third fill, .5 the fourth and .25 came out three weeks later. I go in two weeks and I'm thinking .1 and I'll be perfect!

For vitamns I use Centrum complete chewables, and I like unjury powder. chocolate is my favorite, unflavored mixes well with crystal light, strawberry sorbet mixes well with crystal light lemonade, and vanilla makes great smoothies, or add some extracts to change the flavors up. I agree withthe pp who shared that the chicken Soup can't get to a high enough temp to really enjoy.

Edited by patsal

Hey! band erosion can be caused by many different things like spicy food, caffine, alcohol, smoking, rapid fills etc. There is no one way to determine what causes it.

7cc is what Dr Kang usually gives as a first fill though I declined to get that amount with my first band and I will again with my second band only because

a) I had erosion once before

:) I didnt find big fills helped my hungry I felt the same full filled and completely empty

c) I only have 10 kg to lose so I am in no rush to lose a lot of weight fast.

As for me I was a very rare case (if your referring to me) and even the doc was surprised to find erosion ( it was only the size of a pea as he caught it early).

As for Protein powder and such I have found it in itaewon so if you want to go sometime we can meet up one weekend. I am not sure how much it would cost though maybe a little pricey but trust me it is great :eek:

Thanks for all your advice! It seems that unjury is a popular choice.

Yes I was referring to you! I know Dr Kang is an excellent doctor, I was just a little concerned as I know you've had a rough ride with it all. Even though I have the 7cc I'm not at my sweet spot yet and only feeling a little restriction. I went on base at the weekend and went to the GNC to pick up some Multivitamins and 5lbs of whey Protein powder. Not cheap - about $100 in total. Where in Itaewon did you find it? I live in Itaewon. We definitely need to meet up soon. Are you going to mudfest this weekend? I'll be there!

As for the Protein powder I don't know what's with it - it's making my pee turn luminous yellow. Is that normal? It's banana flavor!

hahaha yellow pee is not from the powder its from the multivitamin in my experience.

Where I have seen the Protein powder in Itaewon near the end where it is close to Noy or nok something station ( heading west). I never asked how much it cost.

Jay Robb (whey) - has 25 miligrams of Protein - made with stevia, 110 calories, and only 1gram of carbs. It can mixed in a shaker with ice and Water and taste pretty good. It can also be added to milk, juice, or stirred into yogart and pudding. www.jayrobb.com. flavors are chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, tropical dreamsicle, & pina colada.

I think if you buy a dry Protein powder, you can get it in a larger quantity and it will last longer. You need to keep up on your Calcium, Iron and Vitamins. Your doctor should check your blood periodically to let you know if you have any deficiencies. I take the Vita Band chewable Vitamin by Bariatric Advantage. I buy it from Amazon and you can also get it from Amazon.Uk. I don't know if you have access to either of those from Korea. It is designed for people with the band and I think the berry flavor is the best. Best of luck!