Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Froggie, thanks so much for your input. I have experienced that let-down before, but I had not considered that it would happen after surgery. Thanks for the reminder!

Congrats on your success! Every success story I hear just gives me that much more confidence that this will work for me, too.

My date is next week also and I am in the same boat. For me it has been 2 years in the making so my anticipation level is through the roof. Even the liquid diet has been no big deal. I an trying not to have unrealistic fantasy's but it's really hard...So it's just one day at a time.

My date is next week also and I am in the same boat. For me it has been 2 years in the making so my anticipation level is through the roof. Even the liquid diet has been no big deal. I an trying not to have unrealistic fantasy's but it's really hard...So it's just one day at a time.

All of those fantasies can become reality - that is the beauty of the band!!!!! Weight loss, smaller clothing, reducing or even going off meds, improvement in medical issues, being able to walk and breathe, fitting in an airplane seat, not craving and binging constantly, having more energy - it is all waiting for you!

Just don't expect them to happen overnight. It takes time and you have to be dedicated and work the band. It is a wonderful tool that you learn to use over time. So go ahead and have those fantasies. And good luck to you!

:thumbup:

OMG THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!

You guys are awsome and have really helped calm the nerves.Thanks for responding to my post.

Hey there - we are the same age and my surgery is on the 19th! I'm nervous, but not as nervous as I used to be. I am having my surgery at a surgery center vs. hospital. I felt weird about this. I asked my doc if I could take a tour of the center - he was very accommodating and let me go over right away with a staff person (there were no surgeries going on that day.) It was state-of-the-art and everyone was so nice! There are two brand new OR's that were designed to the doc's exact specifications. The pre-op and post-op areas were fine...felt just like a hospital. This really calmed my nerves :thumbup: It's funny...I the nerves build up in me and then when I have to go for an appointment...I feel like I'm doing the right thing when I get there and get around the staff. Most of them have been banded and really understand EVERYTHING. I received a call today about my EKG...they need me to repeat it, so I'm going tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being there again to get a dose of calm!

What Im doing to myself in my head is the worst! Know what I mean? I'm already having open heart surgery just because the ekg is abnormal!!! Geez! But it's only because I want this so much and I'm ready!

I had my surgery 10 days ago and I'm STILL nervous and scared. I guess, just think of the reasons you decided to do this. It's going to be worth it in the end. Just take it one day at a time :thumbup:

Thank you SO MUCH for this forum I have been on these boards for a little while and this board has helped me so much. My surgery date is July 13th and I am struggling with the preop diet but hanging in there I have found that I am very hungry on the plan even with the Protein shakes. I am so afraid that even with my hard work that for some reason the band will not work for me and this was all for nothing.

If I could just put you all in my pocket and have you talk me "off the ledge" a couple times a day all would be great!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's as if I wrote this post myself! I have been on this journey for close to a year and now that I have a surgery date (8/30), I am a big ball of nerves and am on a roller coaster of emotions, but from what everyone says and from what I've observed from this board - it seems normal!

Thank GOODNESS for this board - it makes me feel as if I am not alone.

I thought I was the one the band would not work for. I was just sure ai would be a big failure at this with my history of yo-yo dieting.

Well, what I have found out is that the band has given me an edge to accomplish my dreams of being thin and fit. But the band does not "work for me" in a passive sense, but I have to "work the band" and use it to best advantage in an active way.

I am in charge and when I chose to do the right things (eat lots of Protein, eat Protein first, avoid sweets and slider foods, drink my Water, etc.) my band picks up from there, keeps me from being so hungry and craving, and the weight is coming off.

It is not magic, but it is just the extra I have always needed.

It can do that for you too, if you work with it. It will not do the work for you.

Good luck to all of you who are getting banded this week. Follow what your doctor tells you, give yourself time to heal and keep your expectations realistic. IT WILL HAPPEN!:):welldoneclap:

Froggie, thanks for the pep talk! I'm not getting banded for several more weeks, but I still needed to hear what you had to say.

Thanks again!

I thought I was the one the band would not work for. I was just sure ai would be a big failure at this with my history of yo-yo dieting.

Well, what I have found out is that the band has given me an edge to accomplish my dreams of being thin and fit. But the band does not "work for me" in a passive sense, but I have to "work the band" and use it to best advantage in an active way.

I am in charge and when I chose to do the right things (eat lots of Protein, eat Protein first, avoid sweets and slider foods, drink my Water, etc.) my band picks up from there, keeps me from being so hungry and craving, and the weight is coming off.

It is not magic, but it is just the extra I have always needed.

It can do that for you too, if you work with it. It will not do the work for you.

Good luck to all of you who are getting banded this week. Follow what your doctor tells you, give yourself time to heal and keep your expectations realistic. IT WILL HAPPEN!:):welldoneclap:

You are awesome Froggie!!! That is exactly how I am looking at the band, and can't believe that I only have a couple of days until surgery :ohmy:

You are awesome Froggie!!! That is exactly how I am looking at the band, and can't believe that I only have a couple of days until surgery :ohmy:

You are just going to do great! :cursing:

Take it a step at a time.

First, surgery - it is not horrible, but not comfortable either. Get up and walking as soon as you can, and drink, drink, drink. You do not want to get dehydrated and end up on IVs - not a planned part of the process.

Second, heal. Do not focus on weight loss. Tell yourself you are following all the steps your doctor lays out to help you heal - then if you lose weight, it is a bonus!

Third, create habits. Practice eating on schedule, eating the things you are told you can eat in smaller portions than before surgery, and eat slowly. Water is a huge part of this habit step.

Fourth, fills. Go in for fills. I was terrified, but it is nothing. A tiny stick and you are done. You may have some restiction from surgery swelling, but it goes away after a while. You will not have real restriction until your fills start. Again, do not expect miracles. Just keep working on step three.

Fifth, get moving. As you recover from surgery and feel better, start walking. As you start losing weight bump it up and do more.

Sixth, enjoy! Keep track of your weight loss, keep track of your inches and watch the change! Think frequently about what feels different - breathing better; clothes looser; blood pressure, blood sugar, and pain decreasing; buying new clothes, hearing compliments. These things are even better than the pounds and inches.

Remember, it s a journey, not a miracle that happens overnight. However, in a few months you will feel like it has happened so fast.

Lastly, always read, andf feel free to post and ask questions. There are no dumb questions. Feel free to vent and express and talk about your emotions - and you will have many! It helps to share and there are many of us who will support you along the way.

Good luck and let us know how your surgery goes!!!!!!!:)

Hi, was banded on the 7th july'10. Was v nervous, actually that's an understatement, I was petrified! and cried all the way down to surgery. When I woke up I was fine. Felt a wee bit awful the 2nd day, but 5 days post op I'm fine and starting to feel a littl hunger. When I do a 1/4 cup of Soup satisfies just fine. I can't believe it - eat nothing all day, have cup of soup, a few mouthfuls and I'm completely satisfied. Good luck

Hi, was banded on the 7th july'10. Was v nervous, actually that's an understatement, I was petrified! and cried all the way down to surgery. When I woke up I was fine. Felt a wee bit awful the 2nd day, but 5 days post op I'm fine and starting to feel a littl hunger. When I do a 1/4 cup of Soup satisfies just fine. I can't believe it - eat nothing all day, have cup of soup, a few mouthfuls and I'm completely satisfied. Good luck