Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

My name is LaShonda and I am a 24 year old single mother who weighs 388 lbs. I have been researching the lap band for about 9 months now...and recently have gone through some steps in getting it over the last month. I started my journey with the idea that this might be an easy road for me, but I have come to realize that it is not. However I have prayed about it and have come to the conclusion that this is what I want to do. I started in at 403 lbs the heaviest I have ever been, since then I have tried numerous diet pills and diets. But with my High blood pressure there is not a lot of things I can take.

Good news is I have lost 15 lbs and plan to lose more, also I have attend a seminar and my psych evaluation is in July. After I see Dr. Williams I can then have my insurance approved and make a consult visit with Hurley bariatic clinic.

Seminar date: 6/9/2010

Psych visit: 7/14/2010

Start Weight:403 lbs

Goal weight: 185 lbs

current weight: 388 lbs

weight.png

Good Luck!

I also had about 200 pounds to lose, and had my surgery on March 5TH. I started at 350 and did not have a pre-op diet, so my surgery date was also my start weight. It has been 3 months and I am already down 49 pounds. It is deffinitly not easy, but very managable. I try not to look at the 200 number, instead I have broken it down into more reasonable numbers. My first goal was 50 pounds (2 more to get into the 200's), my second to get to the 100 pound mark and my temporary goal is to reach 200lbs. I hope to make it to around 160, but by setting smaller goals, it seems to be reachable.

As I have started losing the weight, I am now able to walk. I found a great walking buddy and even though it is the last thing I want to do at night at 9pm after working, cooking dinner and helping the kids do homework and get ready for school the next day - I still do it. I can now walk 3 miles! Yes my feet still hurt - but I feel great everynight before I go to bed.

You can deffinitly do this - for yourself and for your child.

Please contact me if you ever have any questions.

Cynthia

Hey LaShonda,

I am also a single mom and know how challenging it can be. Eating is what I used to do when I was stressed, tired, disappointed, etc. I was only banded this past Tuesday and I know I will have to make a daily choice to make this successful. I have been waking up with hope since I have been banded. I haven't even weighed myself but know I will be successful. I will stick to what the doctors say and go to as many appointments as I need to stay on track. The most amazing thing is that for the most part I do not feel hungry. I have found a Protein Shake that I LOVE and become full quickly. I wish you the best of luck! We are here to support you in any way we can.

Hi LaShonda,

I also gave my decision a year thought and prayer. A friend of mine had it done a few years ago and told me about it last summer. I was very interested in the procedure but scared as well. So I decided to give myself a year to decide and research. Now that I have made up my mind I'm very very excited. I start my pre-op diet in 5 days and my surgery is booked for July 8th. Most people report that they wish they had done this years ago, so for me I want it done as soon as possible.

Good luck with your decision!

Hey LaShonda,

I wish you well on journey and great job with the current weight loss!! I have been trying to get the Lapband for some time now but the insurance I had has this as a restriction. I no longer have insurance through my job because I am not working due to a knee injury I sustained while working out. I have to have surgery on my knee on Tues. I currently have medicaid and I dont know if they will pay for me to have it done? I am researching all I can and i have also tried to purchased private insurance but they won't cover me due to my BMI being 51. What do I do?

Thanks... I too Have Medicaid and it is covered. I am sure it will be a process but I am so down for it. This will change my outlook on a lot of things and maybe even get me a better job.

I hope to have it done before I attend Grad school next year. I have health plus partners in Michigan, I did have care source but they don't pay for the psych visit that is require and i could not really afford it. I pray and know that it will be approved and my life will be better.

:( Everything will be ok pray about it and call your family doctor.

I weighed 382 pounds at my highest weight. I felt that if I didn't do something I was on my way to some major issues besides the diabetes I already have. I paid the 17K out of my hard earned life savings to pay for my surgery. I am glad I did and would do it all over again. I am down to 325 now. I am not losing as fast as other folks but, hey I have a major back injury and I am on my fifties. Nevertheless, I feel great and am taking less medication than I was. I prayed about it for 2 years and I know I made the right decision. God Bless you and best of luck with your journey.

I'm about a month post-op and it has not been easy. Even my husband says it's the easy way out but I've had to work at it and make conscious decisions. I've even had to sit at BBQs and sip protien drinks while everyone enjoyed chicken, corn on the cob and burgers. As i incorporate a regular diet I'm also learning to listen to my body signals and hunger. There are going to be times where you are going to want to throw in the towel, and yes even pre-op you may feel this way. But just keep in mind your ultimate goal to live a healthy and happy life. Good Luck! And keep posting!

Hey I have 200 to lose also. Got banded June 7th!! Hang in there chick you got this, with prayer and dedication:wub: I feel we all will be true success stories!!!!:(

I had a minimum of 144lbs to lose when I first started (just to get me in the lower portion of what's considered overweight). Even now, 54lbs down, I think "yeah, 54lbs is great, but I stil have X amount left to lose", and it seems almost impossible to me. I try and take it in small portions, 10lb increments. For example, I'm celebrating being in the 260's right now, and my next goal is to be in the 250's (something I havent been in probably 8 years).

You can do this! I'll be saying a prayer for you!

Congratulations on the 15 pounds lost so far. I am new on this journey as well and wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Everyone...I am struggling to work on my weight as much as possible. I have always had a weight problem and for me I just want to be healthy. I would love to go shopping and a plus size store and fit the clothes....Tired of shopping at plus plus size stores....anyone else feel that way? so at 199 or 200 lbs i will still be a big gurl...but just a healthy one. I love being big just not unhealthy and nasty looking.:smile2: