Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 9, '10, Band Revision Surgery Date

Well, I got my schedule for my revision surgery....July 9th. So I will have a month on my own with no fill. I will say for the first few days I've eaten anything and everything but now I've gotten that out of my system and I'm back down to controlled portions and HAVE TO EXERCISE this next month.

When they go in the will check everything out to make sure my band is all intact, which is good. Kind of like a tune-up :thumbup::) If there's anything they can see wrong with the band at that time, they will replace it. The port is fine as far as they can tell. But I did have the conversation with the surgeon that in the future if what I can eat changes radically from day to day...like one day I can eat Soup and the next day I can't eat the same kind of soup, then that's not normal. I guess the guilt my mother instilled in me my whole life led me to think that clearly there was something I was doing wrong..:smile::)

But the plus side is I don't have to do the two week liquid diet but after puking for five days straight, even that wouldn't have been a problem...:tt2::)

Wish me luck guys

trisha

pennreporter

Edited by pennreporter

Good luck--hope all goes well!

Trishia,

I haven't been on here in a while and haven't seen previous posts. Why are they doing revision if they don't know if your band is OK or not?

I'm curious, because it sounds like you are having trouble with stuff getting stuck? I'm having that problem, one day I can eat like a lumberjack and the next I can't get cottage cheese down. I've had an endo, pressure fill, fluro, the band checks out pefect, and actually is too LOOSE. WTH? I'm PBing nearly every day now. It's very frustrating.

Well, my revision surgery is July 9...I think I posted wrong date. When they did the fluoro before removing fill and then after...band was all the way down towards the bottom of my stomach. After fill was removed, they did the fluoro again, and the band had popped almost back up to where it is supposed to be. They consider just giving it all a break and then readding fill, but they're opted to go back in and restitch it. They seem to think that's why it's slipped because the stitches came out. My daughter's doctor (one of top in the country) said the biggest issue with banding is the port placement and the stitch placement.

Suzanne I can tell you that I was throwing up a LOT the past two months, eating unhealthy because so little would go down...of course, ice cream always went down. But the last week NOTHING would go down, not even ice chips and I was throwing up blood. So I'm looking forward to the revision and hopefully having the band work properly. But I know it takes a couple of months to get my fill back up to where it needs to be...so that part is a little discouraging. Guess I'm gonna have to do what I hate to do ...EXERCISE...lol

But I would really address the issues with your doctor...it doesn't sound everything is working just right.

Trisha

Well, my revision surgery is just one more week away. Yeah!!! I've been Ms. Little Piggy the past three weeks...lots of social stuff going on. Finally had to break down and join the gym today and get over the food pig-out. Can't believe I'd ever say that I'm sick of eating but I am. Can't wait to get my band functional again. I'm assuming it will be at least four weeks before they will start filling again. But I really felt so much better with the smaller food amounts.

So I've had my summer fun :thumbup::)

Trisha

I realized I hadn't been on here in a while. Did not have revision surgery in July of last year. It was put off to try a conservative approach. That didn't work. Went for revision surgery in October, when the surgeon discovered my spleen and stomach had adhesed together. He separated the two organs, threw in a hundred staples and removed the band as a precaution to prevent infection. It was pretty emotional because going in I had no idea that the band would be removed. It's now February, have gained 40 bls since June of last year when band was completely unfilled. I'm with a new surgeon and I go next Wednesday for either a new band or a sleeve. New surgeon is leaving option open for both as he doesn't know what he'll find when he goes in, since he didn't do first or second surgery. Very disappointed with myself that I have gained this much weight back. I'm a horrible stress eater and have decided after surgery, I will probably get involved with some counseling and try to find a local support group, because clearly I need to still deal with my eating disorder.

It's also been a little tough because my daughter has been very successful with her band, (2 years) and has been somewhat critical of my eating habits (like I don't know it myself) but I guess if you've not had any problems with your band and everything has gone along great, it's hard to put yourself in the place of someone else who has had a lot of issues.

So wish me luck next week. Loved my first surgeon but he had such little experience with banding and revision banding, I didn't want to chance it with him again. New surgeons has done hundreds of bands. Both surgeons are big sleeve proponents as it eliminates a lot of the complications with all other procedures...before this is all done, I'll be able to play checkers on my stomach from all the incisions..:):)

trisha

I realized I hadn't been on here in a while. Did not have revision surgery in July of last year. It was put off to try a conservative approach. That didn't work. Went for revision surgery in October, when the surgeon discovered my spleen and stomach had adhesed together. He separated the two organs, threw in a hundred staples and removed the band as a precaution to prevent infection. It was pretty emotional because going in I had no idea that the band would be removed. It's now February, have gained 40 bls since June of last year when band was completely unfilled. I'm with a new surgeon and I go next Wednesday for either a new band or a sleeve. New surgeon is leaving option open for both as he doesn't know what he'll find when he goes in, since he didn't do first or second surgery. Very disappointed with myself that I have gained this much weight back. I'm a horrible stress eater and have decided after surgery, I will probably get involved with some counseling and try to find a local support group, because clearly I need to still deal with my eating disorder.

It's also been a little tough because my daughter has been very successful with her band, (2 years) and has been somewhat critical of my eating habits (like I don't know it myself) but I guess if you've not had any problems with your band and everything has gone along great, it's hard to put yourself in the place of someone else who has had a lot of issues.

So wish me luck next week. Loved my first surgeon but he had such little experience with banding and revision banding, I didn't want to chance it with him again. New surgeons has done hundreds of bands. Both surgeons are big sleeve proponents as it eliminates a lot of the complications with all other procedures...before this is all done, I'll be able to play checkers on my stomach from all the incisions..:):)

trisha

Trisha, Hi! I haven't been on here in such a LONG time that I didn't know about all of your problems. Getting a new surgeon sounds like it was a smart thing to do for yourself. How has everything gone? Are you rebanded or sleeved now? I'm glad your daughter is having everything go well. Go easy on yourself, though. You didn't ask for your spleen and stomach to adhere to each other! After months of being too tight, I'm mostly unfilled and still getting stuck every now and then. Still, being able to actually EAT again feels so good and is such a relief. I hope all is well with you. Willowcat