Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average cost of a lap band

I am scheduled for 6/29/10 with Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles in TJ Mexico. $6500.00 including everything but airfare. I already found a doctor here in the Boston area to do my fills and aftercare ($70.00 per fill). I paid out $3,000 and financed $3500.00 with no interest for the first year. :thumbup:

Thanks Shelly,

I went to the seminar at True Results with Dr. Hollis. The downtown location is closer to me than the Woodlands area. Currently on day 6 pre-op diet.

Dang, mine is expensive, then! Just for the surgery day (no preopcare/meetings/checkups, postop checkups or fills) was a little over $16,000. I was banded 3/15 in Salt lake City, Ut.

I had mine on April, 28th , 2010. the cost was $16,000 in olympia wa. includes the hospital, ,anaesthesiology and two years for checkups & fills,

Hey Cali... I have heard good things about Dr. Hollis. If you dont mind me asking, how much have they quoted you at the downtown TR?

How is your pre-op diet going? Do you have a surgery date yet?

Hi Shelly,

What are you eating on this Cinco de mayo holiday?

Downtown TR quoted price is 12,900 outpatient and 1yr fills. Today make 7days on pre-opt diet. Feeling weak and no energy after 1-2 hrs after Protein Shake.< /p>

Slimband, Toronto, pre and post care, 16,000 canadian, fills for life.

Lena

I was banded April 27th at Detroit Medical Center through Great Lakes Weight Loss. Total self-pay was $10,700. It included pre-op testing, surgeon consult, procedure, anesthesia, 1 night hospital stay in a private room with visitors allowed to stay over, and nutritional consult. 90 days of adjustments also included.

Awesome staff, great surgeon who actually helped me set goals for myself and him, and a team of nurses who know what bariatric patients require. They were at my side for my every need. Could not have asked for a better and economical experience.

In Albertville, AL, (Surgical Associates of Marshall County) mine will cost $15,500 for everything during the first year. I financed through Care Credit, and my payments will be $370 a month for 5 years.

Man I wish in Florida it was $10-$12k.

I spoke to the office local to me and their saying $17k.

Just seems high for self pay. I mean I'm sure the insurance companies aren't paying them that much.

Man I wish in Florida it was $10-$12k.

I spoke to the office local to me and their saying $17k.

Just seems high for self pay. I mean I'm sure the insurance companies aren't paying them that much.

Yeah- I bet they don't pay NEAR what self pay customers do. It may be cheaper for you to fly somewhere else to have it done- Well... It WOULD be cheaper elsewhere. Have you considered that at all? I hear Mexico is sometimes less that 5k. It's 15,500 here, and less than that in other states. I would just research it, find the cheapest (but clean) place, and do it that way.

Good call Malysa, I was just going to say the same thing! Research surgeons in Mexico. Dr. Ortiz is a best selling author and has been on Oprah. His practice in Mexico does the band for 7k, my doctor is Dr. Corvala, he is an Allergan proctor and he charges $5995. Dr. Rumbaut is amazing as well because he himself is banded and has great empathy for his patients. There are some great Mexican doctors, it would be a shame for you to overlook that option.

Most people will have that reaction at first. My family thought i was out of my mind, but then they took the time to educate themselves about it. Now, they feel stupid for ever questioning my research and judgement. :biggrin:

My wife said I was crazy when I told her about maybe traveling to Mexico for the surgery.

A lot pf people have the pre-conceived stereotypical notion that the facility in Mexico may not be as clean as it would be here. From what I have heard, the facilities are extremely clean, and the doctors have been doing it longer than the ones here. Someone had said that the doctor's office there even provided transportation to and from the hospital. Perhaps, if you found out more about it, and shared your information with your wife, she would be more open minded about it.

One thing you need to consider, however, is that if you go there to have the surgery, the cost won't include your fills. You would have to set up a doctor locally, that would be willing to take care of the post-op care for you. With the $15,500 I paid, although a butt load of money, everything is covered for the first year. Even of they have to replace the port, or remove the band (God forbid)-

Lots of things to think about! Best of luck making your decision :biggrin:)