Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work after surgery?

Hello,

I just found out that Carefirst approved me for the LAP-BAND® (or Realize Band). What is the least amount of time that anyone has taken off of work? I just started a new job on April 5th and can't take off of work. I work night shift with every other weekend. I plan to schedule my surgery on a Friday morning before my weekend off. So I would have Friday evening, all day Sat, Sun and Mon. to recover. I would then go back to work Monday night. Is this realistic assuming there are no complications with my surgery? Also I sit at my desk for most (95%) of my shift. Thanks!

~Keke

With your age (being young) and the fact that you can sit most of the day I think you'll be fine with 3 days off. I had mine done on a Friday and went back to work on Tuesday - but I had to leave after a 1/2 day of work because I got faint and ill. The exceptions here are that I was 37 (10 years your senior) and I had to travel from central Indiana to TJ Mexico. (I don't fly well, I get extremely motion sick). The travel was the hardest part for me - We (my husband and I) had to fly from Indy to Chicago, then Chicago to San Diego and a driver for the hospital drove us into Mexico. If I hadn't had to travel, I think I would have been fine all day Tuesday going back to work. I did however work the rest of the week without incident.

weight.png

I took a week off of work, but even my first day back at work...just getting myself ready (shower, ironing clothes, etc) WORE ME OUT. The advantage I did have was that I sit at my desk for most of the day...but anytime I had to get up and move around...I was plum TIRED!

You might not be in too bad of shape going back so soon...if you can just fight the urge to pass out =)

I had surgery on a Thursday (at 9a) and planned on returning to work the following Monday, which would have given me the evening after surgery and 3 full days to recover. I am 26 and my job is not strenuous at all (I'm a therapist). Had it not been for the large hernia my doctor repaired, I think I would have felt well enough to return to work on Monday. However, I ended up not returning to work until Wednesday because I was still suffering from horrible chest pains when I inhaled and was only able to take very shallow breaths, which left me dizzy and weak. Good luck!

I took wed,thurs,friday off and the weekend. I could have easily taken off 3 days and would have been fine.

I had my surgery (with hernia repair) on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I didn't really have any issues other than shoulder & neck pain from the trapped internal gas. I drank lots of fluids and took Tylenol and Gas-X strips.

If you have a sedentary job you should be o.k. Just take it easy and leave if you have to.

Good luck to you!

I had surgery on Saturday and went back to work on Tuesday. Assuming all goes well you should be fine.

I was 58 when I got my band, and I also went to work on Tuesday with a Saturday surgery. I work on my feet in a beauty shop. It was really busy, and I had to trouble at all. I did get tired, but I figured out early on, that drinking the Water is the key to that. As soon as I sat down and drank a glass of water, I was ready to go again. You will be fine!!!

Hugs!!!!

I have not been banded yet. My advise is to simply tell the truth. Speak with your supervisor and explain the long road you have traveled to get to this point. Tell him/her what your plans are for your work schedule and get them on your side. Can you offer some flexibility in your surgery schedule to accomodate your employer who may have production needs you may not be aware of?

If I were your supervisor I would really appreciate you for encluding me in your planning and not blindsiding me with an unexpected problem of your absence.

Just my $0.02. Good luck to you.

I am trying to schedule my surgery for the July 4th weekend. I will try to have surgery on thursday 7/1 and then not go back to work until 7/6 - tuesday.

I am self employed so the boss has already given my the time off with pay.:ohmy:

Best Regards and God bless

Hal

I had surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I have a pretty sedentary job and didn't have any problems. I was just tired out by the end of the day.

You guys are very brave! I took three weeks from work, I was banded on the 31st of March and went back to work yesterday, April 19, but I don't think is enough time to get accustomed to your new lifestyle and changes.... I too spend my days at a desk, but like someone else said, just getting my clothes ready, making sure I have something for lunch, ironing, doing my hair, make up, I am soooooo tired.... but happy, do not regret it, I think this was a good decision, we will get there......hang in there and if you do have to go back to work right away, try to get as much rest as you can while home, if you can, have someone else take care of the meals and the house, etc., most of us, I think, have gotten to this point because we take care of everyone and everything else before we take care of us...good luck to you, you will not regret it.

I was able to go back after about four days. I just needed my husband to help me put my shoes on because it was sore when I would bend over and I didn't want to pop a stitch. I think you'll be just fine. Take care! :smile:

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and took the rest of that week (which I needed), and the following week (which I could have worked, I did work from home). I didn't have any of the shoulder pain many people have, luckily.

Each person is different, but I agree with letting your boss know you are having a medical procedure done and you hope to be back in full capacity but might need some accomodation. I told my boss I was having a minor medical procedure, and he just said "take whatever you need". He didn't want details.

Make sure you plan properly when going back to work though, pack enough fluids, alternative Protein drinks, SF Jello, etc. so that you have enough.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do plan to talk with my supervisor, but I just wanted to get a general idea about the minimum amount of time I would need off. I work at a hospital so if I mention anything about any kind of surgery or procedure, I will have to be examined in employee health and have a note from my doctor before being allowed to return to work. I was really trying to avoid all of that, but I guess I should just be honest and hope for the best. Thanks again everyone!

I was banded on Friday, worked from home on Monday and back full speed Tuesday. Tuesday was a bit rough but I just went to bed early that night and was good going forward.