Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Took nine months-is this normal???

I had my lapband 7/6/09 and I've had so many fills I've lost track. I would feel restriction the first few days after my fill but then it seemed to go away and I don't know why.

The other day when I saw my doctor again I told him that maybe this lap band thing isn't working for me. I had 7 1/2cc in my band and I could still eat an egg mcmuffin. I have never thrown up or PB'd, never felt nauseated. I can eat absolutely anything including bread. I asked him if he could fill it to the brim. He helped me sit up after the needle was in my port (didn't really hurt, just barely) and had me drink Water while he put the saline in until I could feel that it was blocked and the Water stopped. Then he withdrew a little until I could feel the water go down. I'm at 8 1/2 cc now and I'm finally feeling restriction. I think my band only holds 10cc! I don't understand why my experience happened like this. He just said that everyone is different but that he's never put this much in any band before.

I had originally lost 34lbs within 3 months of the surgery and it seemed to be working but maybe I stretched it or something. I thought I was pretty careful but I have no other explanation. I started to get discouraged and eating bad stuff again and gained five pounds back.

Now that I had this last huge fill I'm able to eat 1000-1200 calories a day and make really healthy eating choices. I've been eating lean turkey lunch meat w/berries and a few slices of cucumbers. I'm just confused as to why it all happened like that but at least it's working now. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I feel like I'm abnormal.

Sounds like you have had a rough time. I was banded the week after you but have had reasonable restriction 3/4 of the time - I must admit I still eat too much on occasion and sometimes not the best things. I read someone else had stretched their osephegus and was able to eat too much - I think they had a barium swallow to identify it. Has your doctor not suggested any other tests to be sure?

I have discovered by reading hundreds of posts, that there is no such thing as normal. Everyone's experience is different!! I thought I would hit a plateau by now but I have found the key is the miles and miles I walk every day. Are you exercising? Nothing expensive about a walk. I started with a couple blocks and when it got easier, I increased until now I am averaging 5 1/2 miles a day. I was amazed at how I was able to find the time when I decided I like the way I feel after my walks. My goal (wish me luck) is 7 miles every day!!! Maybe you will get a jump start now that you have restriction and will get excited about moving around a little more... Hugs!!!

You are on the higher end for how many cc you need for restriction, but there's nothing 'not normal' about that. I think what makes it tough for someone who needs more fill is that the doctors and PAs get nervous about overfilling so they prefer to give small fills once you get past half the capacity of the band.

For anyone who has self-doubt (and, honestly, who of us doesn't), we then start wondering if something is wrong w/us or doubting that the band will work for us. We just gotta push through and keep getting fills as often as possible until we get to the right point, though.

On my third fill, I got .75 bringing me up to 5.25. They were so sure this was gonna be the one. But, I was still battling hunger and large portions. I told myself before my 4th fill appointment that I was not gonna let them stop short this time. Unless the Water was really stuck, I was gonna keep asking for more (the PA who does mine always leaves the needle in and does the drink, fill, drink thing). I ended up getting 1.25 more on my 4th fill which took me to 6.5 and now I have really good restriction. I could probably get it even tighter, but I am happy w/this level for now.

every1's different n the best bet is that you need to be filled at 7+ to get good restriction (not true 4 all but 4 some) right now Im at 7.7cc in a 10cc band and I have restriction but i def think if I hit 8 I would b at my sweet spot...Im not going to stop until I cant handle it...But Im glad u finally hit restriction, u are not abnormal

Hi, I was happy, well not happy but, to hear your story as mine is almost the exact same but I did just had a fill on the 15th and I am 6 months out and just felt restriction for the first time last month. I am at I believe now 7.5cc. Dr. told me they can fill past 10cc if needed.

The OP does not surprise me at all. I am 4 months out and just now feeling "true restriction". The "wait time" after being banded is a long period. I have even heard of people who didn't start losing until after a years time. But if you keep close to your doctor and communicate and have patience it pays off. Best wishes!!!

Thank you guys so much for all of your advice and input. It is so nice to know that other people understand.

My doctor hasn't said anything about a barium swallow. He just said that everyone was different but when he had put in 7 1/2 cc he said that this should do it because everyone felt restriction at that point. When I didn't feel that much restriction, it really freaked me out. They're all very nice in his office and he's a great doctor but it's humiliating to keep going in there with no weight loss and, in fact, I had gained five pounds back. I almost didn't want to go in the last time. I was going to stop going but a friend of mine encouraged me to go.

I just wasn't prepared for how long it would take after the surgery to feel restriction. I think that my surgeon and his office explained everything really well except that. They did say that it would take repeated fills but I had no idea that it would take nine months. It makes you feel like you spent all of that money and put yourself in jeopardy by having the surgery because of possible complications that can happen and you're still struggling to lose weight. I almost wish I had done the gastric bypass but I was too chicken. A friend of mine from work went to the same doctor and had her surgery a month or so after mine but she had the gastric bypass and she looks like a model now and had no complications.

I am going to start walking again. I used to walk a couple of miles a day and I felt really healthy and rejuvinated and the dogs liked it.

Thanks again! :)

I also took along time to reach restriction. I also had the same doctor you have and couldn't understand why I never felt it. I finally at 11 months asked them to fill it as tight as possible. Well then I could not eat more then 2 bites till I became very uncomfortable. I have been like this for 6 months, do not have hunger, can not eat much, have not lost any more weight then before final fill. I guess I will schedule another appointment and see what is up. It is frustrating to have reached 2 years and be only half way there, but the scale is still stuck at the same spot and not climbing, which as happened to many in my support group. Keep up the good work though it is still better to be 60 lb down.

I'm not sure there is a "normal." I have 7.3 cc in an 11 cc band--and am not at restriction yet. Close, but not quite there.

The only thing that strikes me as unusual is that your surgeon has not experienced another patient who has needed 8.5 cc.

I also took along time to reach restriction. I also had the same doctor you have and couldn't understand why I never felt it. I finally at 11 months asked them to fill it as tight as possible. Well then I could not eat more then 2 bites till I became very uncomfortable. I have been like this for 6 months, do not have hunger, can not eat much, have not lost any more weight then before final fill. I guess I will schedule another appointment and see what is up. It is frustrating to have reached 2 years and be only half way there, but the scale is still stuck at the same spot and not climbing, which as happened to many in my support group. Keep up the good work though it is still better to be 60 lb down.

I have never seen the doctor since surgery 25 months ago, just her PA

We can't lose if we are too tight. One of two things keep this from happening. Either we go into starvation mode, where our body thinks we are in a famine, and it slows down everything. Or we tend to eat a lot of slider foods, and the calories add up much quicker than we thought. I have watched this in my daughter. She lost 95 lbs after banding, but cannot lose at all when she is too tight. She eats icecream, pumpkin pie, yogurt, whatever goes down easily. I haven't been too tight yet, but a couple of times I wondered. Both times were right after a fill. I loosened up in a couple weeks though, and now I can eat real food. Very small amounts of it, but I can eat. This is why they don't recommend people doing their own fills. Because we are over weight paople, we are naturally creatures who think if a liittle bit is good, then a whole lot is better. I suggest you log your food intake and calorie intake and see where you really are. You most likely need a slight unfill. It is okay to eat. I really hope you figure it out soon. Hugs!!!

Keep your head up and remember you are unique in this process.

Lorraine

We can't lose if we are too tight. One of two things keep this from happening. Either we go into starvation mode, where our body thinks we are in a famine, and it slows down everything. Or we tend to eat a lot of slider foods, and the calories add up much quicker than we thought. I have watched this in my daughter. She lost 95 lbs after banding, but cannot lose at all when she is too tight. She eats icecream, pumpkin pie, yogurt, whatever goes down easily. I haven't been too tight yet, but a couple of times I wondered. Both times were right after a fill. I loosened up in a couple weeks though, and now I can eat real food. Very small amounts of it, but I can eat. This is why they don't recommend people doing their own fills. Because we are over weight paople, we are naturally creatures who think if a liittle bit is good, then a whole lot is better. I suggest you log your food intake and calorie intake and see where you really are. You most likely need a slight unfill. It is okay to eat. I really hope you figure it out soon. Hugs!!!

Thanks for the reminder.I will call and make an appointment to have it unfilled a little to see if it helps let the Protein go down easier. I know I should have gone here for support but figured I had hit a plateau, But I think you might be right since I feel like I am in starvation mode, and you are right about slidders, although I don't eat anything except brothy Soups, and things easy to go down. But even that is not giving me the nourishment I need.

Thanks again.

K

OP, are we separated at birth??? I can sign my name under each of your posts in this thread. With the exception that I've got my restriction at 9.5cc in 10cc band. If you search my posts you'll see how much frustration it used to cost me.