Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm new here, my name is Beth

Hi, my name is Beth, I live in Richmond, VA. I'm a 30 year old mom of two and I'm hoping to have a Lap-Band placed soon. I'm 5'10" and currently my weight is 250 and my goal is 165. Overall I'm hoping to prevent some health problems as I get older and enjoy a more active lifestyle without being held back by my weight.

I'm interested to get to know you all here and learn your stories.

Hi Beth

I am new here as well and am looking forward to getting a Lap band. Im hoping it can happen in September sometime. I have to go thru a 6 month program with a dietician to prepare me for surgery.

I would love to make some friends on here to go through this process with.

I am 40, mom of two and am 5'9 and 288 lbs. I would like to get to 160.

Welcome Beth and Mishay...first of all...congrats on taking the first steps towards a healthier you. Just want to share with you that whatever hoops you need to jump through to have the surgery, it's well worth it.

The most important advice I can give you is to do everything you can to prepare yourself physically, mentally and emotionally b/4 your LB surgery. I believe being prepared and well-informed plays a huge role in the success of a LB person. Follow ALL of your doc's rules.

I found that the band will be there to help you but most of the "work" is up to YOU. Making good/healthy food choices, getting adequate fluids on a daily basis, documenting everything you eat to keep track of calories, Fiber and Protein intake will help you along your journey and make you accountable.

I was banded June 17, 2008. I am 54 yrs old (damn) and feel as if I could run circles around any 19 yr old.

Wishing you both the best. PM me with any questions you might have or ask them on this thread and I will respond.

Hi Beth and Mishay and welcome!

This is a great place for information and support.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on all the forums. Just because you are pre-op doesn't mean you can't post questions about post-op on the post-op section.

Knowledge is power. Learn as much as you can before your surgery.

Best wishes on the journey!

Thanks so much. I was told by my dietician that before surgery I should start to prepare for after. So to start eating smaller meals, trying the Protein Shakes, Vitamins etc. Did you do this?

Oh I thought of another question. My surgeon requires an at least 2 week Medifast liquid diet before surgery. Did you drink Medifast? If so how was it?

Im prepared to do whatever. I was thinking I should start a journal for my journey. Im so excited. And I want to know all I can. Thanks for helping.

Hi ladies, I am also pre op. I am 30 years old with no children and I think this is the first time in my life I have truely put myself first. I would love to have some friends to connect with during this process. I'm guessing my surgery will take place around June but I am going through the pre sugery diet requirement. I wish everyone the best of luck!

I made a lifetime change in my diet about 8 months b/4 surgery. I truly feel that it was one of the crucial steps that I made that helped me most after surgery.

I was not required to do Medifast. I did do a 14 day Clear liquids.

Havin

I would love to have a friend on here to cheer each other on. Its so interesting to me what the requirements are for surgery based mainly on the type of insurance a person has. I am reading all I can right now. I ordered some books from Amazon.

I ordered a diet tracker to keep track of what I eat everyday. I have to do the supervised nutritionists visits as well. Ugg. I just hope 6 months comes quickly. I know it will but it seems so far away.

Apples: You look amazing. What would you say were your top five reasons for success? What did you do to prepare yourself for the change?

Thanks so much. I was told by my dietician that before surgery I should start to prepare for after. So to start eating smaller meals, trying the Protein shakes, Vitamins etc. Did you do this?
Oh I thought of another question. My surgeon requires an at least 2 week Medifast liquid diet before surgery. Did you drink Medifast? If so how was it?

Im prepared to do whatever. I was thinking I should start a journal for my journey. Im so excited. And I want to know all I can. Thanks for helping.

Hi again,

I attempted to eat slower and take smaller bites, but it did not prepare me for reality.

Trying Protein Shakes is a good idea. I think one of the companies will send some trial packs, but not sure which (unjury, maybe?). I did a minimum of Protein Shakes post-op, because I did not really like the ones I had purchased.

My surgeon prefers that I eat my calories rather than drinking them, but...

I like a company called Isagenix. They are a bit pricey, but I like the taste. I don't use them often though. They also have bars and Snacks.

Other folk can probably give you advice, too.

I just started using these to change up my Breakfast and get in more Vitamins as I seem to hate taking Vitamin pills, and can't remember!

I did Medifast for my pre-op diet. I can't say I loved it, but it did its job. They do have a wide variety of stuff, if you are allowed to do the full program, which I was.

It also included one "lean and green" meal each day, so I got to actually chew! I had to chug down the shakes. The bars are pretty good. The Soups are bland. The oatmeal..not bad.

I lost 8 pounds in the two weeks I did it. The best part was that the surgeon told me after the surgery that he could tell I followed it very closely because my liver was very small. He said that made the surgery very easy to perform, and much safer for me. :frown:

Just remember, it is time-limited and for a specific purpose. The only person you'd cheat on it is yourself.

Keep asking and learning!

Apples: You look amazing. What would you say were your top five reasons for success? What did you do to prepare yourself for the change?

Thank you for the compliment, Mishay.

#1. Preparedness

#2. I could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. After years of dieting, losing and gaining more back than I lost, I KNEW I would have a tool to help me keep it off.

#3. Determination

#4. Following EVERY rule my doctor set for me.

#5. Journaling my food intake which included calories, Fiber, Protein grams, etc.

Hope this helps!:frown: