Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I won my surgery on the radio - it is 6 weeks from today and for the most part I am still excited. I don't have my first consult until next week so I really don't know much specific to my surgeon - just everything that I have learned from this forum.

Well, when you win on the radio, the station likes to let everyone know over and over again who won the contest, so my name has been on the radio many, many times. I live in a pretty small town, so most people know your business anyway, but it seems sort of strange that people start talking to me about my surgery and I really don't know anything yet. I try to explain the best I can and hope they understand it all. It just seems strange.

Then, there is the part of me worrying that I won't be successful in this attempt. I have gained and lost so many pounds it is hard to keep track of it all. Since so many people know they will be watching to see how I do, which I won't mind if I am successful, but you always worry that you will be the one it doesn't work for. I know I am rambling, there are just so many unknowns right now

Plus, once I have the surgery the radio station and the newspaper want to follow how I do. It just seems so unreal, I guess waiting two months after I won to do the surgery may not have been the best idea, but we leave for vacation in two weeks and then I have to do the two week liquid pre-op so I really couldn't schedule it much sooner. I didn't really want to do shakes while camping in Florida.

Well, winning was a great big blessing because I wouldn't be able to do it any other way, so me being a little uncomfortable being in the spotlight is a small price to pay for such a great gift.

I am stepping off my soap-box now. Thanks for listening.

Deena :thumbup:

Deena,

I give you a lot of credit for sharing your journey with everyone...that is really amazing. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted!!! There is a lot of great information on these forums...as you are finding out. :thumbup:

Congratulations on your win.

I am sure you are both excited and apprehensive. It will be weird going through the process in the spotlight but it will probably help keep you honest to.

Good luck with the op and the the rest of the weight loss journey. When you need help lapbandtalk has heaps of info and a very good support network.

All the best.

Congratulations on the win!

With the luck it took to win the surgery, how could you not be successful? :thumbup:

I can understand the trepidation about being in the spotlight, but I guess it is your "payment" for the surgery. There is no free lunch, afterall.

Come here for support, we'll be here for you!!

I don't blame you a bit for postponing due to your trip.

Maybe you can think of some sort of pat answer for when people approach you about the surgery.

Like yes, I did win. I am doing very well, thank you. How are your kids?

Anyone else have ideas? Divert their attention and move the conversation to other things as rapidly as possible!

And here is my nosiness...are fills included in the win? :thumbup:

Best wishes!

Hey Deena!

Wow! Congrats on the win! How cool! The good thing about everyone knowing is it'll give you even more incentive to succeed! I'm sure they all would like to see you succeed as well!

Have a very fun and safe vacation! and keep us posted! Good luck with everything!

well good news is you've become a famous person!!! LOL - but on the other hand, i do understand your concern, so i guess try to make the most of your experience and i wish you the best of luck!!!:thumbup:

I won the surgery and aftercare for one year. The value they stated is $25,000.00.

I think that will cover all my fills and follow-up.

Just imagine the potential you have to help inform others about this tool. You never know who elses life you may change. I had a good friend that had lapband before me that helped me with all my questions. Goodluck to you as you begin this journey. You just may be the role model for someone else you may never meet. Enjoy the ride!

Wow congrats!!!!!

Congrats on the win, but ouch on the taxes! Hopefully there is a way to skirt that into deductible medical expenses so it is a wash or at least lessens the tax burden!

everyone knowing is just another gret means of accountability. With so many people supporting you and cheering you on, how can you not have great results!?!

Not sure that it will be tax deductible, will be nice if it turns out that way. Even paying 20% in taxes it will still turn out to be a good deal.

Not sure that it will be tax deductible, will be nice if it turns out that way. Even paying 20% in taxes it will still turn out to be a good deal.

I hope 20% is what you are taxed, others who have won large prizes that I know have paid 50% of value in taxes.

I've won a trip to Hawaii and a Ford Explorer.

I ended having to pay 42% taxes. 37% federal and 5% state income tax.

Both of these were luxuries though, surgery is hardly that.

I probably need to talk to an accountant to start planning ahead for next year. Better safe than sorry.

I've won a trip to Hawaii and a Ford Explorer.

Holy cow- that's cool-- I'm gonna hang out with you with that kind of luck!:biggrin:

BusyMom- Congratulations! That's awesome! Try to find a way to make all the publicity work for you-- as accountability, as support, or whatever works. It's so exciting.