Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 6 post-op, and I wouldn't believe I'm banded had I not seen the x-ray

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here, just joined yesterday. :biggrin: I'm 28 and ecstatic to be starting on this journey. Ready to live a life that doesn't revolve around food, and for my five year old daughter to follow in my future footsteps, not those from the past.

I was banded last Tuesday 2/23. It wasn't a bad surgery at all, I'd say it went really well. Not too much pain, the gas-x and lortab have kept that under control, along with walking and following the liquid diet. I may be biased, because I have not forgotten the pain of the c-section I had five years ago. In my mind, I am always thinking of that pain when I think of "worst pain ever." Compared to that, the pain I have experienced since Tuesday is pretty mild. All has gone well, mentally, physically, until yesterday.

No, yesterday, was different. Yesterday I was HUNGRY. I'm still supposed to be liquids only through day 7 (well, that is only one more day now, isn't it?) but no amount of beef broth or crystal light or sugar free popsicles were going to satisfy me yesterday. My stomach was rumbling... grumbling...I felt like Winnie the Pooh looking down at my round grumbling belly.

So yesterday morning I decided to have some cream of celery Soup, had about half a cup of that. And then I had a Protein shake (which is liquid, but not "clear" liquid...) then I had some apple juice, then I had another Protein Shake. Had some Water in between all of these. Beef broth. Then last night I had some runny instant mashed potatoes. THAT hit the spot! I have yet to have any sort of adverse reaction.... which makes me wonder what's going on - shouldn't something be happening - shouldn't I have pain, something?

Today has been the same. HUNGRY. I had half a serving of cream of wheat this morning.

Later, I pureed some leftovers from sloppy joes (no bread of course, just the meat) and had about 1/3 a cup of that. Still not feeling satisfied so I had more of the instant mashed potatoes, about 1/3 of a cup.

Had a Protein Shake.

Then while ago I had half a cup of applesauce.

All of this I have eaten slowly and never to where I felt "full," just satisfied to the point I wasn't thinking about it anymore.

No pain. Everything stays down. No discomfort.

I have lost 8 pounds total, half of that during the pre-op diet and then the other 4 since Tuesday.

I'm not going in for my post-op appointment until 3/12 - I'm assuming that's when I get my first 'fill'.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid - you'd think I'd be glad that nothing has happened yet - but for some reason that makes me think it's not working.

Okay, I'm only 6 days in. I'm going to give this a chance to do what it's going to do, and it's going to be AWESOME!

I am keeping track of my calories - today I am still under 600 and only have one more "meal" for the day. I'm doing okay, right?

Now, if I could stop scratching at my incisions in my sleep...

I'm going to go look through all the blogs now... maybe someone has a similar story...

Glad to be a part of this and hope to make some friends along the way! :laugh:

You are singing my song! I did exactly the same thing, STARVING, HUNGRY the about to DIE type of HUNGRY. So I had runny mashed potatoes too. (I am not advocating breaking your Doctors rules, I want you to call them in the morning and tell them what you have done. They may want to see you.)

But, what I did want to say is....it gets better, I had no restriction with my band until I started getting fills, as a matter of fact I gained weight after the surgery and before the first fill! I was so hungry and then I felt like a failure and that I had wasted my money but it wasn't true. The band just doesn't work by itself, after your stomach heals and you can start getting it tightened you will not be so hungry. It will be OK.

Try Greek yogurt, I bought some today at Sam's and it is fabulous. Most Doctors recommend 1000 - 1200 calories a day. (Once again check with yours) But at 500-800 calories you will be very hungry and will resort to cheating. Get your Protein, it will help you not be hungry. I try to get at least 1g of Protein for 10 calories on any protein source (This rule does not count for veggies.) only for shakes, yogurts, Protein Bars, meat, etc.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

I'm glad to hear that it is going well for you!

This is an inspirational post. Thanks!!

I am having surgery tomorrow and hope it goes just as smoothly. I don't have a c-section to compare it to though. :biggrin:

I hear you! :biggrin:

I have been hungry since day 6 postop. So...it does get alittle better after soft foods. I am now hungry even on solids. I will tell you that I have read here that some gain back weight until after the fills. The time after surgery is for healing more so than dieting.

I am using pure will-power now until my 1st fill in 2 weeks. A good thick protien shake helps until noon, then its just mind over matter.

Get on the scale every day to make sure you are not losing the battle,,If you gain a lb, then I go back to full liquids for a couple of days to refocus.

I tell myself every day that "I love food but it does not love me" I have divorced food, It is now just fuel and sustanence. Good luck, stay focused.!

Thanks LeighaMason - tried the Greek yogurt today - love it! It kept me full all morning. I will definitely be recommending it to others as well!

btrieger - hope everything goes GREAT tomorrow! Congrats!

Chicago29 - thanks for the advice. I did find out my first fill is NOT March 12th - I have to wait 2 more weeks after that. I certainly need some thicker Protein shakes! Let me know how the first fill goes. I'm trying to stay focused! Will have no problems stepping on the scale daily... or several times daily... obsessed maybe? =)

I love this posts because it was very detailed...I'm hoping to get approved soon for my surgery.....thank you! I keep looking you up to see how ya doing!

Wow, you really ate well! I was banded on the 24th of Feb--I am on liquids and clear... until Thursday of this week. My main problem is the gas, and my thought of the band slipping if i over do it. As for the nausea, i am trying not to go there because the constant regurgitation may cause the band to slip as well. I am using these two weeks along with the pre-op diet..., to change my old eating habits. I think that we have to pay careful attention to the "zones". If we are eating to much-the band more than likely needs tightening, and visa versa. Well, best of luck to all.

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here, just joined yesterday. :w00t: I'm 28 and ecstatic to be starting on this journey. Ready to live a life that doesn't revolve around food, and for my five year old daughter to follow in my future footsteps, not those from the past.

I was banded last Tuesday 2/23. It wasn't a bad surgery at all, I'd say it went really well. Not too much pain, the gas-x and lortab have kept that under control, along with walking and following the liquid diet. I may be biased, because I have not forgotten the pain of the c-section I had five years ago. In my mind, I am always thinking of that pain when I think of "worst pain ever." Compared to that, the pain I have experienced since Tuesday is pretty mild. All has gone well, mentally, physically, until yesterday.

No, yesterday, was different. Yesterday I was HUNGRY. I'm still supposed to be liquids only through day 7 (well, that is only one more day now, isn't it?) but no amount of beef broth or crystal light or sugar free popsicles were going to satisfy me yesterday. My stomach was rumbling... grumbling...I felt like Winnie the Pooh looking down at my round grumbling belly.

So yesterday morning I decided to have some cream of celery Soup, had about half a cup of that. And then I had a Protein shake (which is liquid, but not "clear" liquid...) then I had some apple juice, then I had another Protein Shake. Had some Water in between all of these. Beef broth. Then last night I had some runny instant mashed potatoes. THAT hit the spot! I have yet to have any sort of adverse reaction.... which makes me wonder what's going on - shouldn't something be happening - shouldn't I have pain, something?

Today has been the same. HUNGRY. I had half a serving of cream of wheat this morning.

Later, I pureed some leftovers from sloppy joes (no bread of course, just the meat) and had about 1/3 a cup of that. Still not feeling satisfied so I had more of the instant mashed potatoes, about 1/3 of a cup.

Had a Protein shake.

Then while ago I had half a cup of applesauce.

All of this I have eaten slowly and never to where I felt "full," just satisfied to the point I wasn't thinking about it anymore.

No pain. Everything stays down. No discomfort.

I have lost 8 pounds total, half of that during the pre-op diet and then the other 4 since Tuesday.

I'm not going in for my post-op appointment until 3/12 - I'm assuming that's when I get my first 'fill'.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid - you'd think I'd be glad that nothing has happened yet - but for some reason that makes me think it's not working.

Okay, I'm only 6 days in. I'm going to give this a chance to do what it's going to do, and it's going to be AWESOME!

I am keeping track of my calories - today I am still under 600 and only have one more "meal" for the day. I'm doing okay, right?

Now, if I could stop scratching at my incisions in my sleep...

I'm going to go look through all the blogs now... maybe someone has a similar story...

Glad to be a part of this and hope to make some friends along the way! :)

Chicago29, Do you buy your thick Protein Shakes ready made or mix them up yourself? What brands are good? I've only tried EAS and Muscle Milk and while they taste ok, they are more the consistency of chocolate milk and not very thick.

Anything can be made into a shake. :w00t:

Thick Protein Breakfast shake: I put banana creme or strawberry creme muscle milk in the blender, (got it at the Vitamin shoppe) then a scoop of chocolate whey Protein powder, 3 oz of plain yougurt, 1 stick packet of benefiber if needed, 6 or 7 large ice cubes, blend then frappe till thick. You get about 35 g of protien. half of what we need at one time!

Satisfys the chocolate craving.. Or just use skim milk, any flavor of protien powder and ice. Someitmes I add sugar free peaches to vanilla Protein Powder and yougurt for a fruity shake.< /p>

Sounds really delicious! I'm printing your recipe off and will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your story!!!

I am so, so excited that I finally got up the nerve to do something about my health. I am 39 years old and reality really hit me that I am older and it is time to get my life in order so I can continue to live long and enjoy my family life...

That part in your story that caught my attention is the two week liquid diet. That part scares me to death :w00t:. I am sitting here wonder, can I truly survive on liquids for two weeks? :smile2:. I gues that is the old me talking, huh? It appears that you are doing well and taking all the right steps to ensure success early.

Congrats!!!