Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering how many carbs everyone allows themselves. Sometimes it's hard to get away from them, as they are in veggies and other healthy foods we eat. I have been hanging anywhere from 90-140 per day. Is this too much? Knock on wood, the scale is starting to move again and I don't want to mess it in any way....

well I reviewed my food log for the past two weeks and may daily average was 158 & 170. Based on your signature I am about 35 lbs heavier than you. Right now I am focused on calories, fat and Protein. Once I get that under control I might worry about carbs.

I try to eat around 20% of my calories from good carbs (veggies, fruit). Since I am eating 1500 cal per day, that would be about 75 g per day.

But I also never eat fruit or veggies by themselves as they will affect my blood sugar. Instead of an apple or a pear, I will eat half an apple or pear, along with some cheese, cottage cheese, Peanut Butter, a hard boiled egg, or another source of fat or Protein.

well I reviewed my food log for the past two weeks and may daily average was 158 & 170. Based on your signature I am about 35 lbs heavier than you. Right now I am focused on calories, fat and Protein. Once I get that under control I might worry about carbs.

That has been my focus too--calories, protein and fat. Then my sister goes and mentions that when she reduces her carbs, she notices more weight loss. Just another thing to track, great! LOL

GAH! One more thing to consider. Thanks for the advise. Maybe I will add that to my radar next week :scared2:

I try to eat around 20% of my calories from good carbs (veggies, fruit). Since I am eating 1500 cal per day, that would be about 75 g per day.

But I also never eat fruit or veggies by themselves as they will affect my blood sugar. Instead of an apple or a pear, I will eat half an apple or pear, along with some cheese, cottage cheese, Peanut Butter, a hard boiled egg, or another source of fat or Protein.

minimeme - do you aim for 60% Protein, 20 carbs, 20 fat?

I really need to reduce my fat and apparently my carbs. I have been trying to hit 40 carbs, 30, protein, 30 fat...but it is usually more like 45-25-30 :scared2:

My nutritionist said 130 carbs a day. Have to admit I am probably getting 50-70 all from heathy options. I only keep track of protien and calories. Generally eat very low fat (ie. eggbeaters instead of eggs, only very lean meat).

Hi,

My nutritionist told me not to worry about carbs because as I go along, I should be adding in more veggies and fruits, which will up my intake. The key is that these are all "good" carbs. However, since I use fit day, I end up counting them anyway. On average, I take in no more than 130 and the scale is still moving about 2 lbs a week.

Best,

Lauren

As a general rule, I don't worry about fats or calories. I keep closer track of carbs since they most directly affect my sugar levels. On any given day I try to keep them below 60gm, but I lose more quickly if I can keep them below 30.

/

Dont count them, dont restrict them and dont base my diet on Protein. I eat whatever I want of fruit, vegies, wholegrains (such as wholegrain bread, crackers, cereals) and I do limit white carbs like white bread, white rice and Pasta, Cookies, cakes etc. Those arent good for anyone.

Through having a lapband i've naturally gone from eating things like bread daily to only having a slice or two a week (if that) and not eating Pasta and rice that often either, because once I've eaten my Protein and vegies, there's no room. I am a bit fanatical about fresh fruit and vegies and make sure I get enough of those every single day and to be honest, after say an apple and Peanut Butter for Breakfast, a salad and chicken for lunch, where is there ROOM for more than a cookie or something?

So I eat way less carbs than I did, which I think is important for everyone. But I dont think you have to cut them out to lose weight, well, not everyone anyway. I need them, I cant run well or exercise well without some. i havent found it at all necessary to count them and limit them consciously.

But I sure dont need the recommended 4 slices of bread, plus all the carbs in other foods every day either.

I dont consciously limit fat really, but I do watch what sorts of fat I eat. The danger in upping protein is taking in a lot of saturated fat and whilst strangely high fat diets can work for weight loss, that doesnt mean you're not clogging your arteries up with horrible stuff. So my fat tends to come from olive oil, avocadoes, and fish, less so than red meat. I tend to totally avoid deli meats, the very thought of what's in them makes me want to hurl, but i'm quite partial to nice cheeses and have to limit myself.

Edited by Jachut

My doctor is uber-conservative when it comes to carbs. Right now, my intake is incidental--I haven't yet added in vegetables. But once I do, the emphasis will remain on Protein, with carb coming only from veggies. Eventually (once 75 percent of excess weight is lost), fruit and whole grain will be added in moderation.

So, right now I'm taking in an amount that is similar to that on Atkins induction--about 25 g/day. Even during ongoing weight loss, it will be <100 grams most days.