Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just tried to set up a logging page at Dailyplate.com. I put in my info and set it to lose 2lbs a week. What do most of you eat calorie wise a day? To obtain 2lbs a week the number seemed a lot higher then I would of thought.

I calculated the number of calories I would need to maintain 140 lbs (my goal weight) for my height, age and activity level. Since it's only 250 calories less than I need to maintain my current weight, I've dropped down another 250 calories so I'll get that 2 lb a week weight loss. So I'm trying to stick around 1300 calories per day. When I have restriction, that's not difficult. In fact, I'd have a problem hitting that mark if it weren't for the fact that I pad my diet with about 110 calorie Protein shakes 3 times a day (mid-meals).

You can calculate your calorie needs here. I did post a long post "calculating your daily calorie needs" about a week or so ago so you can calculate it manually, but the mayo Clinic's calc works just as well.

I calculated the number of calories I would need to maintain 140 lbs (my goal weight) for my height, age and activity level. Since it's only 250 calories less than I need to maintain my current weight, I've dropped down another 250 calories so I'll get that 2 lb a week weight loss. So I'm trying to stick around 1300 calories per day. When I have restriction, that's not difficult. In fact, I'd have a problem hitting that mark if it weren't for the fact that I pad my diet with about 110 calorie Protein shakes 3 times a day (mid-meals).

You can calculate your calorie needs here. I did post a long post "calculating your daily calorie needs" about a week or so ago so you can calculate it manually, but the mayo Clinic's calc works just as well.

thats great, thank you so much. I will give it a try!

I use the "lose it" app as a food journal and it states for me to loose 1 1/2 lb per week I need to eat 1700/day. That doesn't work for me. I realize that 3500 calories is one lb but my BMR must be extremely lower than it should be (and I excercise at least 5 days/week). If I ate 1700 calories/day, I wouldn't gain but I wouldn't loose. I am trying to use the app to keep my calories around 1200. You can also use it to log excercise. If you have a phone that supports apps I highly recommend it!! I love it. I have used it pre and post band.

Each person should calculate their BMR, Base Metabolic Rate, by using a BMR calculator, such as this one BMR Calculator. It will ask you your height, weight, age, and gender. Based on that information, it will give you the number of calories you should take in each day just to maintain your current weight.

If you are wanting to lose weight, then you should subtract from your weekly calorie limit 3,500 calories for each pound you want to lose. You don't want to go too low in your daily caloric intake as you still need to fuel your body's most basic functions like breathing, digesting, brain activity, etc., so if you exercise, you need to add back in those calories so you don't go below your daily intake goal.

Example 1:

Male, age 40, 5'10", current weight 295 pounds

BMR - 2521 calories

Weekly weight loss goal: 2 pounds

No exercising

To determine your caloric goal for the day to lose two pounds per week, you'd take the 2,521 calories x 7 days = 17,647 calories - 7,000 calories (2 lbs) = 10,647 calories / 7 days = 1,521 calories per day.

Example 2:

Male, age 40, 5'10", current weight 295 pounds

BMR - 2521 calories

Weekly weight loss goal: 2 pounds

Exercises 4 days a week and burns 250 calories per session

To determine your caloric goal for the day to lose two pounds per week, you'd take the 2,521 calories x 7 days = 17,647 + 1,000 exercise calories = 18,647 - 7,000 calories = 11,647 calories / 7 days = 1,664 calories.

So as you can see, if you are exercising, you actually want to add those calories back in so you do not drop below what your body needs just to function.

As always, you should consult your doctor to see what he/she thinks is the right amount for you to lose per week, as it will vary by individual (this is my disclaimer).

Don't forget to recalculate your BMR as you lose every 10 pounds or so, as the total number of calories you need each day will lower as you lose weight.

Good luck!

I have an Android phone and I use an app called calorie counter to count my calories and journal my weight. I also use an app called calories calculator to show me how much I should eat to maintain and lose weight.

I just tried to set up a logging page at Dailyplate.com. I put in my info and set it to lose 2lbs a week. What do most of you eat calorie wise a day? To obtain 2lbs a week the number seemed a lot higher then I would of thought.

Splurge on a Bodybugg or GoWear fit. They will tell you approximately how many calories you are burning at any given time of day. You upload the data to the website and you can also enter everything you have eaten on the site. They do the math for you.

I burn approximately 3,400 calories a day and consume approximately 1,700. I am losing 3-4 pounds a week.

I was burning over 4,000 calories a day when I started at over 360. So, if you choose to do the painful calcutaion manually you will have to do it often because it changes every time you lose a pound.