Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for an affordable reconstructive plastic surgery after WLS.

Six years ago, my doctor asked me if I wanted to live or die. I was termed “morbid obesity”. I decided that I wanted to live. I was over 300 pounds, had high blood pressure and could not walk without breathing like a freight train. I had tried all the diets and had lost some weight and put more back on.

My entire adult life has been a roller coaster of gaining and losing weight. I did every fad or commercial diet that came down the road. I was able to lose over 100 pounds in the past at two different points in my life. But I just couldn’t keep the weight off. After a number of years, my health was really starting to suffer. In October, 2004, I finally hit my highest weight of 312 pounds and I was absolutely miserable. I was on medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar.

My joints especially feet, knees and ankles hurt all the time. I have arthritis and some days I felt like I could barely walk. I knew I needed to exercise to help me lose weight, but how do you do that when you can hardly move? I was suffering from asthma, also.

Several times a year my asthma would get out of control and I would have to go on steroids. October, 2004 was one of those times. The steroids made my blood sugar go even higher and I felt awful. I thought I was going to have to go on insulin. I looked and felt bad and decided I could not live the rest of my life like this. In fact, I was afraid the rest of my life wasn’t going to span very many years if I didn’t get my weight under control and get healthier.

The weight reduction surgery was the answer to life.

I had the Gastric Bypass surgery five years ago and it was a daily fight to keep the weight off. I took off 200 pounds and I am only sorry I did not have the surgery sooner. Yet, in my defense I was not mentally ready for a change in life style and the surgery itself. Surgery is not easy for the first three months but after that the benefits are so great. I can now do the sport I love which is horseback riding and I can mount my horse by myself.

Unfortunately for me I wasn't happy with my weight loss because of the skin that now hung from my body. I wanted to have the skin removed and I also had a hernia which needed to be repaired so I went to see a plastic surgeon.

I wanted an estimate for a Tummy Tuck, thigh lift, arm lift and a breast lift with implants and a neck lift; when my surgeon gave me his quote he nearly killed me! 45.000 US$.:)

For me it was unimaginable to pay such amount.

So I investigated on Internet an alternative to have my surgery done but at an affordable cost.

I put on Google “affordable plastic surgery after lap band” and I find a lot of websites and Medical Tourism agencies that provided plastic surgery outside the US. This option seemed very interesting and above all because the price was very cheap compared with the cost of plastic surgery in the US.

After a serious investigation of 7 months I finally decided to go to Latin America (to Bolivia). I made contact with the MakeoverTravel agency on September 2007 (2 years after my WLS).

MakeoverTravel gave me all the information I needed, about the medical team (surgeons, anesthetist, cardiologist…), the hospital where my surgery would take place, the hotel where I would stay, the number of weeks I had to stay in Bolivia; etc… From the first contact I felt very confident and I immediately felt that MakeoverTravel was a very professional medical tourism agency.

I decide to go there on December 2007. I stayed 3 weeks in Bolivia to carry out all the surgeries I wished.

I had a Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift with implants, Thigh Lift, Arm Lift and neck lift. I paid for this full package something like 11.000 US$; I don’t remember exactly the amount but it wasn’t more than 12.000 US$. :thumbup:Anyway if you compare with the 45.000 US$ they asked me in the US!!!

This surgery has changed my life as dramatically as the WLS did. I have no regrets at all, and feel better about myself physically than I ever have. My doctor told me he had never seen someone heal so fast, and he said it was because of my positive attitude, which made my day.

Of course it has been a long road but great things come to those who wait. It has been a blast. My life has changed so much since that day they rolled me away for surgery. I couldn't' have wished for it to be any better than it is. God has truly blessed me.

I can’t say enough about MakeoverTravel, Dr. Javier and his staff. I was made to feel comfortable every step of the way. All the medical team was wonderful on the day of surgery and set me completely at ease. I am very pleased with my experience and would recommend MakeoverTravel to anyone interested in plastic surgery outside the US. If you can’t afford a plastic surgery in your country I think that having a plastic surgery abroad is the best alternative.

It was well worth the trip !

Perhaps my secret joy is meeting someone I know but haven’t seen and the surprise at my new appearance. I love it and I love my new life.

Thanks for listening

Oh my Gosh you give me so much hope! I have about 250 to lose and Im down 100 of that and I have been thinking how in the heck will I be able to afford plastic surgery ( I am gonna need it BAD) I had to pay for my lapband surgery and I had a hard enouph time coming up with that$15000. I had some ? . Was that airfare too? I want an armlift Tummy Tuck, thigh lift and breast implants. I could never afford 40-50 grand geez!. How were the facilities. and the docs? Did they speek good english? Also what if something goes really wrong? do they take care of it or ship ya home messed up? Again Thanks for the hope. Im so glad you got everything done. You worked so hard to get it:)

Hi Marmar, The airfare wasn't included in the price but from Miami, the price for a direct flight to Santa Cruz (Bolivia) is of 700 US$, with American Airlines it’s the price I paid. Once in Bolivia, MakeoverTravel provides you a personal assistant; your assistant will accompany you everywhere. She will go with you at all your appointments with the surgeons or with the medical team, she is totally bilingual so you will never have any problem of communication. The medical team is just incredible and the surgeons are kings in plastic surgery.I don’t think you will have any problem after your surgery but in case you would have, MakeoverTravel offers a medical warranty. It’s better you check it in their website because I don’t remember all the aspects of this warranty but I know it is very well and it totally covers you in case of any problem.I hope I answered your questions.Good luck.Nurit.