Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded with EXTREME nausea

I was banded on the 13th and did fine in the hospital. On coming home and trying a Protein Shake I became very nauseated and it has not stopped. I have very little problem with Water but anything else causes gagging, no vomiting but misery. I've called the doctor for an anti-nausea medication. Is there anything else I can do? Does this happen to many people?

It is probably what they used to put you to sleep. When it works out of your body, it will get better. Calling your doctor for medication was a smart move. Try drinking some warm broth or tea. Sip on it slowly. Ice chips help too.

Try some warm sugar free Jello. You know, make up the jello and drink a little before putting it in the fridge to set. I have used this since childhood at times of illness and it really works great.

I was banded on the 13th and did fine in the hospital. On coming home and trying a Protein shake I became very nauseated and it has not stopped. I have very little problem with Water but anything else causes gagging, no vomiting but misery. I've called the doctor for an anti-nausea medication. Is there anything else I can do? Does this happen to many people?

If warter is working for you perhaps you need a few more days of clears. That what my doc suggests. Stick with what works until u feel better. Go get some broth and sip. My doc said saltines can me used to help nausea, u just have to let them get mushy in your mouth.

ask your doc to perscribe you a anti-nausea patch. They last 2 days. I was given one before sugery and took it off day after I got home. Wasnt nausious once.

I had nausea from the pain killers in the hospital. It was so bad, that they took me off them. By the time I got home I was fine, until day 5 and I was hit hard. I was dry heaving so bad that my doctor wanted to admit me for a few days. I really did not want that so he had me do an IV of fluids and prescribed me the anti-nausea meds that they give cancer patients on chemo.

After a day they kicked in and I was on them for about 6 days and now no more nausea. I really feel for you because I know it's hell! Have you doctor prescribe you some meds. It's not good for you to be so sick and heaving - especially when your band should be settling in. Best of luck!

Hi I was banded on the 12. I also had extreme nausea, i have only been able to take in 8 oz in two day, eating sugar free popciel and Jello very slow.Hang in there keep posting to get help. I also have been weiry sorry abouy the spelling...

the sublingual anti-nausea meds they gave me made me gag and get nausea from the gagging. Some people really like them tho. I had the patch behind my ear, but not sure how much that helped. Time was the only thing that really helped me. Hang in there.

The Protein Shakes are thicker than the other liquids you are drinking and can quickly fill your new "pouch". Make sure you drink them SLOWLY, allowing your stomach pouch to empty between sips. This will help prevent the nausea. Remember, even though you haven't had a fill, there is swelling at the point of the band and healing needs to take place. You will be fine!

I was banded on the 12th, and this is the first day I'm allowed Protein. Since you can tolerate Clear Liquids, I'd stick with those.

Give the doc a call to see if (a) they want you to take something for the nausea, and (:thumbup: whether they think your pain meds might be the culprit and, if so, they want to change them, too.

I had an episode of nausea/vomiting yesterday, and the culprit was a STUCK Vicodin; once it worked its way free, I felt so much better. Now, when I take them, I break them into halves, then each half into thirds. Much better!

Feel better fast!

I was banded on the 13th and did fine in the hospital. On coming home and trying a Protein Shake I became very nauseated and it has not stopped. I have very little problem with Water but anything else causes gagging, no vomiting but misery. I've called the doctor for an anti-nausea medication. Is there anything else I can do? Does this happen to many people?

I havent had surgery yet,actually on March 3rd. I was reading my manual today and it said to stay on Clear Liquids for a few days because sugar and colored drinks have that effect, its not uncommon. Thats why they transition you from clear to regular but everyone is different and if your feeling nausea to try clears until you can tolerate more, hope this helps.

I havent had surgery yet,actually on March 3rd. I was reading my manual today and it said to stay on clear liquids for a few days because sugar and colored drinks have that effect, its not uncommon. Thats why they transition you from clear to regular but everyone is different and if your feeling nausea to try clears until you can tolerate more, hope this helps.

I think the sugar might have had something to do with my nausea, because the day it started was the day I began mushies. Right after I had some pudding is when it began. My dr had me go back to liquids during the nausea phase. The transitioning is really tricky, so take it slow.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice. I called my surgeon and he gave me some anti-nausea medication which has changed everything. This is my fourth day post surgery and will be the first day that I'll get all my Protein in. I think the nausea would still be there without the med. I know I don't want to feel that bad again! I still have no appetite since the surgery. I won't complain about that. I am down 12 pounds since surgery. That seems like a lot to me. I expect I have some dehydration. Thanks again.

Okay just had my first bout of an overwhelming sudden hit of nausea.... whoa. After reading the posts I think maybe it was too much sugar in the tea that I was drinking... like 8 grams? Wow won't try that again :(