Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a stitch sticking out!

I was scraping of the last of a tiny scab on one of my incisions when I figured out what I was scratching at wasn't a scab after all! It's the end of an internal stitch!

I guess I'll have to call the surgeon on Monday and see if there is anything I need to do about it.

I was scraping of the last of a tiny scab on one of my incisions when I figured out what I was scratching at wasn't a scab after all! It's the end of an internal stitch!

I guess I'll have to call the surgeon on Monday and see if there is anything I need to do about it.

I was banded the day before you and have one sticking out also....I'm just pretending it's not there for now so let me know what your surgeon says!

The "scab" was probably the glue they put over the dissolving stitches. I'm sure you'll be fine but definitely call and verify.

Great weight loss for both of you!

I had the same thing--and it was a stitch for sure--when I went back for my post-op follow-up with my surgeon, I told him about it and he just snipped the little piece off. About a month later, I had another little stitch sticking out of a different inscission, and when I showed it to him, he took some tweezers and pulled it out (said that sometimes the stiches don't always dissolve all the way). I'm not recommending that you personally do anything yourself--wait for your surgeon! If it bothers you too much, put a regular bandaid over it to keep yourself from scratching. If you've got oozing or blood or you're really worried, call your surgeon--that's what they're there for.

I was banded the day after you and my steri-strips are still on...I did notice on the port incision a small white string hanging out, but I figured it was supposed to be there. So I've left it alone.

I go see my surgeon on tuesday to have the steri-strips removed and actually see what the incisions look like. My surgery info also says that while they say 2 weeks it can take up to 6 weeks for them to dissolve completely. Who knew?

Guess I shouldn't of dropped out of the Physician's Assistant program lol...

Too funny. I had a stitch on one of my lap sites but none of the others. They used steri-strips. I forgot to ask my doc about it at my 2 week visit so around week 3 when all my steri-strips started falling off, I snipped the stitch and pulled it out too.

Hey everyone I am not a professional yet b/c I don't get banded until tomorrow.... but my advice would be don't scratch it put some neosporin on it and leave it alone.....:smile2: Show it to the surgeon when you go back, your fingernails can be so dirty and you are scratching a very tiny opening in your skin which could lead to an infection. As long as it doesn't hurt and there is no redness let the MD know on Monday.... Hope this helps

Same thing happened to me after my surgery. I just mentioned it to my dr at my follow up appt and he pulled it up with tweezers and snipped it off. It was totally painless so you should be okay! Good luck in 2010 :unsure:

I had one as well.. It dissolved on it's own after a while:) No worries.

I was banded the same day as you and I have the same issue. Two of my sites that have scabs, I also have a stitch coming out. I just snipped it a little and have left it alone. My sites seem to be healing well, so I figure the stitches will go away on their own.

My Podiatrist studied under a plastic surgeon before I knew him, and a technique he used on my foot surgery left the end of the stitch sticking out. He warned me ahead of time, and he explained that not putting that knot under the skin made for a fine, almost invisible transition between the scar and the surrounding skin. He was right. My scars are beautiful on my feet, and I couldn't be happier. They are only visible in just the right lighting. Maybe your stitch is something similar to that approach. In any case, I hope it is helpful to hear that it doesn't need to be anchored down to be effective. Take care.

I had that happen with two of my five stitches. I gently tugged on mine and they came out but that doesn't mean I recommend that you do that. I really don't think it's anything to worry about as long as it doesn't start looking infected. I would cover it up with a band-aid to keep it from snagging on your clothes then ask your surgeon about it at your post-op appointment.

Yep, I had the same thing...my outside incisions were glue only, but the last scab came off and an internal stitch (looked like a piece of clear fishing line) was suddenly sticking out. Doc just pulled it up a little and snipped it off...couldn't feel a thing. Really weird though LOL. -BG