Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Sharp pains in the rib area??

Views
Started by STLMom2006, Aug 31, 2009 2:34 PM
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

6 replies to this topic

STLMom2006

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted August 31, 2009 - 2:34 PM

For the last 2 weeks I have had a sharp piercing pain in the left rib cage and my primary Dr said he doesn't know what it could be.
Could it be my tubing caught up in my ribs or something? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm in pain and am at a loss for the reason.

Thanks

FailureIsntAnOption

Experienced bandster

• Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Starting Weight: 330 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 53 lbs
  • Current Weight: 277 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 170 lbs
  • BMI: 44.7
Posted August 31, 2009 - 3:33 PM

Why didn't your primary doc request some kind of tests to determine what may be going on? I would not take a "I don't know for an answer" If you think it is related to the band you should call your surgeon's office and make an appointment.

Threeboys3

• Surgery Date: Aug 2009
  • Starting Weight: 250 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 250 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 36.9
Posted August 31, 2009 - 5:17 PM

I don't have an answer but I also have that rib pain on my port side. I told DH the other day that I felt like I had a broken rib. I'm only 10 days post op so I was just figuring it was that it hasn't been long enough for me???

desperateinDE

Posted August 31, 2009 - 5:27 PM

I don't know but I have been having them too on my left side...I do think its gas though. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and never had ANY gas pains until about 2 days ago when these pains started....

ByeByeBonBon

Focus!

• Surgeon: Ahmad Bali
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2010
  • Starting Weight: 330 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 50 lbs
  • Current Weight: 280 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 190 lbs
  • BMI: 43.8
  • My Blogs
Posted August 31, 2009 - 8:14 PM

I would guess that you're having gas pains. I'm only three days out, but the gas pain I've had has been hellish. Try walking around a bit, or if you have a rocking chair, gently rock back and forth. That has helped me a bit with the pressure.

karibensea

Posted August 31, 2009 - 8:21 PM

I am not an expert however this is the way it came down for me too. Huge pain in that side of my rib cage and come to find out I have my port stitched to the muscle in that area so it was a healing issue.

Yes the port is attached to my ribs sort of speak. Always ck with your doctor in situations like this but I would guess this too shall pass.

:-)

Posted August 31, 2009 - 8:44 PM

I agree that I would not take an I dont know answer from your PCP.....but your lap band doc is prob going to say it is gas pain. Your right it would be odd to have gas pain 2 weeks out but not impossible. Also it could be some sort of pain due to where your port is but if it is not near your port then you can rule that out as well. (the port should also be attached to your abdomen wall not your costocartilage (or muscles over your ribs bc they are thin muscles) Again not impossible for your doc to have done that for some reason. Refered pain from organs on the left is your spleen but unless you have had problems with that before you can rule that out as well...... Another avenue that is prob important to look at is a rib out of place. Question-does breathing make the pain more noticeable/worst/ or relieve it? Most people dont think of this because this is not what an M.D does. Bc of the surgery your body has been pushed around and the gas that your rib cage is not used to can push a rib ever so slightly out of place and cause an unbelievable pain. This can be relieved by a visit to a chiropractor usually with one adjustment with instant relief of pain. Just thought I would give you some things to think about!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Apr 24
    BladeFox

Don't know what happened this morning, but I had a near total embarassing...

Show comments (9)
View All Updates