Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Pouch Question

Views
Started by silly_weasel, Sep 14, 2013 3:45 AM
3 replies to this topic
3 replies to this topic

silly_weasel

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2012
  • Weight Lost: 48 lbs
  • BMI: 30.2
Posted September 14, 2013 - 3:45 AM

So I'm a bit confused on how food goes through the pouch. I've read that our pouch is 15% of our whole stomach and that's where the food sits when we it. It fills up quickly being so small and that's why we stop eating. Then it takes an hour or so for all that food to squeeze through to the bigger stomach. But I also read somewhere, that the food we eat actually squeezes through during the meal, taking about a minute, and that's why we have to wait a minute between the bites.
Can anyone help to clear this up for me please?? Thank you :)

B-52

Bariatric Legend

• Surgery Date: Jan 2011
Posted September 14, 2013 - 4:45 AM

Depends upon how much restriction one has.....it takes me the longer side for food to pass through mine....I eat till I cannot eat anymore....and that is a very small amount...I have to stop.....giving me automatic portion size and control....another characteristic of the Greenn Zone..portion control.
Also, I have drank water 20-30 minutes after eating and had it come back up with some of the food that was still in the pouch.
I cannot drink while eating, or for a time there after for that reason.

Other people will have different experiences....again, depends on the restriction one has.

Mis73

Bariatric Legend

• Surgery Date: Jan 2012
  • Weight Lost: 232 lbs
  • BMI: 32.4
  • My Blogs
Posted September 14, 2013 - 9:45 AM

Studies have shown that food is supposed to pass through the pouch in about a minute. This is why they say to take small bites and wait a minute between them, to allow food to pass through between bites.

Food piling up on top the band and not passing in the first minute or so is dangerous. It can not only stretch your pouch but lead to band erosion. You do not want the stomach acid necessary for food digestion sitting on your band.

This is also why many surgeons are changing their rules about drinking while eating.

I can't find it at the moment because I'm not on my lap top, but you can even find one of the studies proving this here on these forums. I believe Alex (board owner/founder) posted it about a year or so ago.

drehn88

Junior Guru

• Surgeon: John Marsden
  • Surgery Date: May 2013
  • Starting Weight: 250
  • Weight Lost: 57
  • Current Weight: 193
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 33.1
Posted September 14, 2013 - 10:25 AM

There are videos on youtube from Dr. O'Brien called the Eight Golden Rules. They are on LBT somewhere but I can't find them right now. All the videos are a must watch in my opinion. Dr. O'Brien is a leading surgeon in lapband. In my opinion, and others, LB patients don't have a "pouch". If you've ever done a barium swallow you will see that we don't have a pouch above the band. If you create a pouch that's called dilation and the beginning of a lot of LB problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics