Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEaSE SOMEONE TELL ME ??????

Do you have any loose skin , how much did you lose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have any loose skin , how much did you lose?

• alot of loose skin
    • just a little flabby
    • nothing
    • maybe something tonning would help

I am 33 years old and have been fat all my life I am set for January 7th and scarred to death might I add I am soo worried I am going to have alot of loose skin I am 5'6 and weight 250 lbs what can I do to prevent it even just a little bit I am soo confused I dont know whats worst the weight or the afterwrd loose skin I cannot afford plastic surgery and my goal is to be 180lbs so I dont anticipate loose skin that bad.....at least hopefully... someone ANNNNNNY input would be great!!!!!

There is a chance that you are going to have loose skin and that is something that a lot of people that get to their goal weight after being obese, have to face. There is a plastic surgery section on this site where such issues are disscused.

My thing is don't let the possibility of loose skin keep you from getting banded. This is not like gastric bypass, so you won't lose the weight so fast that your skin can't keep up (odds are). I'm sure I'm going to have droopy breasts, saggy arms, and loose skin around my tummy and I'm 25 years old, but the goal is to get thin and healthy. If you lose weight with or without the band, loose skin is possible.

*Make sure to include exercise as a part of your life because it will help to keep the skin taught. Also, stay hydrated. :thumbup:

for most of us the only way to prevent the loose skin is to stay fat and that obviously isn't an option if we are here.

Quite a few people have asked about this prior to even starting the banding process. I'd think it would be the last worry on anyone's mind.

There are surgeries to take care of loose skin but that is something you should worry about after you've lost the weight.

I'm 21, also been fat my whole life. I started at 290 in January and at 205 I am noticing it the most in my arms. There is no toning it, the skin simply isn't attached to muscle anymore. I have a bit of belly that's threatening to hang, but I'm confident that there is still hope for it if I lose weight slowly. But my arms... I'll have to get PS if I want them to be thin like I've always dreamed. I'm not deterred by the fact that I can't afford it. That's what saving is for. Instead of books and DVDs there will be "Give Erin sleek arms" fund.

Honestly, I would rather my whole body be covered in loose skin than be 290 again. I'm so happy, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I am 33 years old and have been fat all my life I am set for January 7th and scarred to death might I add I am soo worried I am going to have alot of loose skin I am 5'6 and weight 250 lbs what can I do to prevent it even just a little bit I am soo confused I dont know whats worst the weight or the afterwrd loose skin I cannot afford plastic surgery and my goal is to be 180lbs so I dont anticipate loose skin that bad.....at least hopefully... someone ANNNNNNY input would be great!!!!!

I think you will do fine. I am 5'3" and started out at 276. I have lost 40 lbs even before surgery! :thumbup: My surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday. Hopefully by using the band, staying on a diet plan (Jenny Craig) and exercise I will keep my stomach flappy skin to a minimum. I really cannot afford plastic surgery or really want it so I am really trying exercise. I wish you the best of luck and don't give up on yourself!!

Pam92:wink:

You'll be fine, exercise like your supposed to and eating right helps as well.

Based on my experience, the experience of others and knowledge of basic body physiology...

You're most likely going to have some loose skin but your age is a bonus because you still have good skin elasticity. Make sure you stay hydrated. Take a look at the women in your family. Genetics plays a huge part in how long our skin remains supple and elastic.

It doesn't matter whether you lose slowly or lose quickly. Given time, your skin will snap back somewhat.

I lost 70 pounds in 5 months (which is only 10 less than you want to lose) when I was 47 and thought I would have lots of excess skin. Six years later (the weight is still off) but the skin snapped back.

I know it's frustrating to think of losing all that weight and still having a body that you're not happy with, but you know what? Flabby arms are better than weighing 250 pounds. No?

I agree with a previous posting. One battle at a time. Lose the weight and get healthy. Give it time then see what happens. With creative attire you will look simply marvelous. It's better than the alternative like looking good for your own funeral. Good luck and blessings.

I agree with a previous posting. One battle at a time. Lose the weight and get healthy. Give it time then see what happens. With creative attire you will look simply marvelous. It's better than the alternative like looking good for your own funeral. Good luck and blessings.

I couldn't agree more.

It is VERY possible to lose lots of weight and avoid lose skin and plastic surgery. Do your research, talk with your doctor and commit to it.

I've lost 130+lbs on my own through exercise and had no lose skin, gain back 60 of that and going through the lapband, I've researched and have found that the balance of Protein and exercise will prevent lose skin and the "need" for plastic surgery.

Everything is not about the number, it's about how and what you lose. You may lose 100lbs but was 50 of that muscle? If so expect to have lose skin. You want to eat as many grams of protein as what you want to weigh. Your muscles feed off of the protein and help burn the fat dropping which is what causes what people call "excess skin."

If you really research it, you'll come to find out there's no such thing as "excess skin" - our skin is designed to grow and shrink with us (yes even after we have "strech marks") if our skin wasn't so resilent we wouldn't have the ability to have stretchmarks, our skin would just rip once we got too big.

Here's some sources:

The Myth of Loose Skin

Avoid Loose Skin After Weight Loss

Tighten Skin After Losing Weight: Quick Weight Loss Leaves Loose Hanging Skin | Suite101.com

Etc... just google and you'll find it.

I have the good fortune to have fitness experts and bodybuilders as clients, they embark their knowledge on me constantly. I've seen a man go from over 400lbs to 235lbs of lean muscle with NO loose skin among others.. Research, exercise, stick to the plan and keep your protein up and you too can avoid excess skin.

Great info from ymjackson1!

Also, make sure you drinks lots of Water and use lots of moisturizer!! I have already started doing both and my surgery isnt' for another 5 weeks. (baby oil after showering locks in more moisture than lotion - just becareful if you apply it in the shower, next time you get in, you might slip!!)

My main problem is my arms. My tummy isn't too bad, but of course you would always like it tighter. But my arms, I swear, if I wave I could knock someone's eyes out with the swinging skin.

Thanks for the links. I've been concerned about it as well. I'm not going to use the skin as my excuse but it certainly is a huge concern! Water, mositurizer & a gym membership is far cheaper than surgery of all my body parts!! I forsure thought it wasn't possible. Thanks again!