Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just curious to find out if people measure (or at least measured the first few months). I normally don't measure, but I measured some chicken for my lunch tomorrow and 3.5 ozs was much more than I have been "guestimating." And...when you measure (take meat for example), do you measure 1/2 cup as 4 ozs or do you weigh it?

Just curious. Thanks!

I don't measure my food but I have been considering doing it because I am having trouble guessing how many ounces things are. I bought a food scale before my surgery so maybe I'll start using it...

I was surprised at how much chicken four ounces is when I weighed it out pre-op!

I don't weigh or measure food, but I should start. I'm really resistant to the idea of adding one more step into food prep, though.

nope. Been there done that ad nauseum for Weight watchers. I've weighed my steak a couple times just because I thought I wasn't eating much (and I wasn't, between 2-3 oz) and I measured out my lemon chicken with rice once to see how much of it I was eating (1 cup)

That's it. You can if you want to, but you don't have to, to lose weight. I want to learn to rely on myself and my body's indicators. Eating a "serving" (or two) of things helped get me here now. I try to be totally tuned into myself, not to eating what someone else says a serving should be (even if that serving is only a cup, or less) Just what works for me

When I was on my post-op diet I was a real stickler for measuring food. My liquids I would use a 1/2 cup =4 oz. I wanted to know ezacly what something weighed, plus how many calories was in what.

When I first went into post-op me and my DH went out and bought a bunch of little tiny rubber-maid 4 oz containers to put my broth, and Jello into. The problem that I have found now that I am 1 wk post op is I don't fill full after eating 4 oz. It takes me 8 oz before I feel full. I cant wait to get my first fill... I hate eating that amount but at the same time I know with just eating broth how many calories am I really absorbing?

When I am able I plan on faithfully measuring out my portions and calorie counting, plus working out to get my best weight loss. I hope my extra skin is not too much of a issue. Good luck :)

Right now, only having had surgery on July 13, I've been pretty consistently measuring foods just so I can get an idea of how to eyeball it in the future. Some things I don't measure - like a turkey hot dog, but know that it's less than I think it is so make sure I add some more stuff to go with it.

I don't plan on measuring forever. I've never measured before in the past so I've found it helpful in recognizing that a cup is "about this size."

I do measure my food but I guess it is because I am insecure about figuring out how much to put on my plate right now. Maybe, after I am a veteran at this I will be better at it but right now it keeps me focused and paying attention to not only how much I am eating but what I am eating also.

I also weigh and measure my foods. I'm with greytz I don't feel secure enough right now to be able to eyeball my food and know that I'm not eating too much. Eventually I'm sure I'll be able to eyeball my food and know that I'm eating the proper portion.

I measured right after surgery to try to get an idea of portion size and how much I should be eating, but now with restriction measuring and weighing is really a moot point. I take when I feel is an appropriate amount of meat or Protein (what I guestimate to be 3-4 ounces) and just supplement it with a little bit of veggie, fruit, or dairy. Sometimes I can eat the portion I took, but with things such as pork, I usually am not able to eat as much. I eat what I can eat but I don't worry about portion size like I used to, there's just no need. My band tells me when to stop.

My eyes are "way" bigger than my stomach. I pack most of my food ahead in small glad containers (1 cup) - It's a habit now...packing lunch usually take a full cup & eat half of what I've got for the day. At dinner I don't measure - but it's nice to have the guideline of the smaller container.

I measure my food, 1/2 cup meat, and 1/4 veg. If I go out to eat I don't measure. I am sure when I get more restriction and get used to the portion sizes I won't need to measure, but right now I feel more comfortable measuring my food.

I measure everything when I am at home. When I eat in a restaurant I try to judge 1/2 cup but then I stress that I ate too much. I want to start bringing a measuring cup with me !! lol :tongue2:

I weigh and measure just about everything right now. As has been said already, once I have good restriction it will likely be a moot point. But for now, I want to be sure I'm eating the right amounts--it's too easy for me to underestimate how much is really there. Keeps me honest!

my doctor and my nutritionist both told me that one meal should be between 3-4 tablespoons. as of right now, i haven't heard of anyone else being given this amount.

but it is working for me. one thing i do is that i carry a little tablespoon measuring spoon with me. so if i'm putting food on my plate for a meal, i use that spoon instead of a normal spoon to serve it. definitly helps me know how much i'm eating.