Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please don't think I'm judging just trying to understand

I was banded on May 11 and feel very good so far. Port incision is still sore, I'm a little hungry but other than that I'm very, very happy with this decision and have shared my story with anyone who will listen. My brothers girlfriend was instrumental in me getting lap band. She had bypass a year ago and lost over 100 lbs. I had always thought about lb and once I got some information I knew it was for me. She has recently had her gall bladder removed which I know is an occurance with either surgery. But I hear her talk about all other kinds of problems such as dumping, thinning hair and now she has low sugar and is passing out. I went on a bypass forum to try to understand it more to offer her support and came across some real horrible sounding things. Besides what I thought was the worst side effect, dumping, they are really suffering from low sugar, copper deficiency, Iron, Vitamin D and Calcium difficiency, major Constipation, and even eye problems. I would never want to post this question on their board because I dont want to appear insenstive, but can anyone help shed light on why someone would choose bypass over lap band (besides dr.s advice for some underlying medical condition?) if there are so many side effects. Am I naive to believe that bandsters are free of so many of those undesirable side effects? In essence I'm wondering if there's something I don't know about the side effects of the band that would make those side effects bearable. I hope this doesn't come across as condescending. I really just want to be informed. thanks

I also know 2 people who had bypass done. One of them has gained a good bit of weight back. They also have to take supplements the rest of their lives. I think the risk of streching your stomach back after bypass is greater than with lapband. I dont regret one minute of having my band. I too dont understand why someone would choose bypass over lapband.

I am not banded as of yet, but I think I can understand why some folks would choose the gastric bypass as opposed to the lb. Fo many, if they are extremely obese, it may be a matter of life or death. A given, in my mind, to choose a rapid weight lose method. For others, they may not have the ability to control their addiction to sweets or binge eating, in which case, the bypass will give you a very strong and pretty immediate reaction - dumping. For others, it may be that they desire that instant gratification of losing rapidly. Not saying this is a good or bad reason, just stating what I have learned from some of my friends that chose the bypass surgery.

For me, I think I wanted to still feel in control of my body. It is so out of control with my diabetes, blood pressure and sleep apnea, that I wanted it back. I am choosing to get banded because it allows me choices in my life while still keeping a firm touch on what and how I eat. I have done a lot of research (as most who are on this forum have) and the band seems the best option for me. It is not going to be without its own issues, such as carefully eating my food, possible slippage, pb'ing and others, but I believe that I can handle them.

I hope that this answers your question.

Elgrad

I think sometimes if people have alot of weight to lose they get the GB because they lose it faster than if they get the LB even though after about 3 years everything evens out. Maybe LB wasn't an option for them. Maybe their insurance only covered GB and not LB. There are alot of complications with GB. Even with out the LB GB would never be an option for me.

I was able to find a thread where people gave their reasons for bypass. Most did want the faster weight loss, and they also were afraid of being able to 'cheat' the band. And I suppose the most important reason was the cure for their diabetes. I don't know if it is trading one problem (diabetes, overweight) for others (vitamin deficiancy and blood sugar disorders) I'm just glad that there are options out there and that insurance has indeed jumped on board in many instances, but there is such a long road ahead to advance this to be available for anyone who needs it. thanks for all your input

my friend had her bypass surgery about 6 weeks ago...so far ...so good....i was trying to talk her into the band bcuz i was worried about all the complications...she eats very greasy food and doesnt dump...her weight loss has been a lot slower than mine...i'm sure thats due to her eating habits...but i was surprised at how quickly she recovered...she hasnt tried sweets....but greasy food does not make her dump...maybe she is one of the lucky ones...maybe its too soon....we are the same height...i weighed 3 pounds more than her pre-op...she has lost 26 pounds in 6 weeks...i had lost 37 in 6weeks...bypass isnt always faster.....

It really just depends on the basis of the eating problems for a lot of people.

If you choose to eat sugar on the band, you won't lose either. GB has a dumping syndrome to try and discourage you from this, but some just deal with the dumping and keep eating the sugar.

The band takes good aftercare and more will power. Some are able to do it and others are not. Same with GB.

gastric bypass and the band are not the only options.

There is also the gastric sleeve which has great results and a very low rate of complications.

I've heard that some people don't won't to have to worry about getting fills and unfills and going through everything to get to their sweet spot. Also the small chance that the band could leak and have to be replaced.

My mom got gastric bypass because she's older (48) and had a very significant amount of weight to lose (she's lost 200 pounds!) She felt that the band wouldn't do the trick because of the fact that her metabolism is slow due to age and because of the overwhelming amount of weight she had to lose. She's about 130 pounds now... I think that gastric bypass is a better choice for some people, especially if they are older and over 200 pounds overweight. If your metabolism just isn't strong enough to get healthy by restriction alone, I can understand why someone would get GB. It was definitely tough for her though, she did lose a lot of hair and have problems keeping food down. She's 2 years post-op now, though, and has regained all her hair and is very healthy and happy (and looks great, too!)

Personally I chose to do LB because I did not want to deal with all of the side effects of GB. I know people who have done LB and others that have done GB, and they are all relatively happy. It is a personal and sometimes monetary decision (because of ins, and finances) that you have to make. ma - all I can say is to be supportive and offer help in any way that you can.

I tried the band first and am one of those old people almost "50" and have type II diabetes, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea and developed HBP, high cholesterol and GERD after being banded. It just wasn't the right procedure for me and had it removed after 14 months.

My 20 yo daughter had RNY a year ago and has dropped 140 lbs and developed a new life. It can be really difficult to find the right surgery to have, there needs to be a better way of figuring it out! I am hoping that with my revision to RNY I too will be successful! My daughter has never had dumping syndrome and some people never do. I think the percentage is 40%. She takes four pills (supplements) a day for life. You're required to have blood work taken at increments to make sure you are not lacking in anything. I have a 40 BMI but many co-morbs and know now that my only chance is the RNY. I wish I could have done it with the lap band just wasn't in the cards! Good luck to you!

My mother is having the GB next month. I am getting banded next month(hopefully). She chose GB because she has over 250 lbs to lose. I only have about 90-100 lbs to lose. My mother was in a car wreck several years ago and left her bedridden for nearly a year.That is when she started to gain lots of weight. She almost has no ankle cartilage left. So for her 450 lb body to stand on that leg it hurts really bad. So she is going with the GB to lose weight quick so she can finally beable to walk with out as much pain. I am supporting her in her decision and she is supporting mine. Like others have said, it depends on your situation. Each is a WLS and they basically have the same results. Losing weight.......

I'm a nurse who went through GBP with my ex-husband. He's had a lot of absorption issues and, after reaching his goal weight, has been yo-yo'ing with 15 lbs. He dumps with anything too sweet and with odd things like turkey. He never lost any hair, but his immune system is definitely weaker than it was when he was heavy. He's forever emailing me with symptoms of some virus.

I chose the band for myself simply because I didn't want to alter my body's chemical state. Nearly all Lap Band complications are mechanical. I know people with bands who've lost as much and as fast as with GBP and then I know people who've lost 30# and nothing more. It's all in how you use it.

I have a friend who's currently in the process of getting a mini GBP. I'm curious to see how she does compared to us.

I chose the band for myself simply because I didn't want to alter my body's chemical state. Nearly all Lap Band complications are mechanical. I know people with bands who've lost as much and as fast as with GBP and then I know people who've lost 30# and nothing more. It's all in how you use it.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!