Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pressure in my chest :(

I have this intense pressure in my chest like someone is pushing on my chest bone in between "the girls". I have a feeling that it is the band around the stomach but sometimes the pressure feels like i'm wearing a really tight bra and can't take it off. Can anyone tell me when this eases up and you feel regular again? I know the gas pains in the esophagus should lessen after a couple of weeks but this upper pressure worries me a bit. Tomorrow is my 1 week since banded date :omg_smile:

I had the exact same thing. i got scared and went back to the surgery and he said it was swelling around the band. it hurts....it would feel like it was taking my breath away. it lasted about 2 weeks. my doctor prescribed me an anti-biotic so u may want to call your doc. hope you feel better soon!

I could feel pressure too, but not as bad as you both have described. This is my seventh day post-op, and I don't feel any pressure now. Mine was more of a feeling of tightness.

Not exactly sure what it could be. The only time I've felt that was when I had eaten something that I wasn't supposed to....a bagel of all things.

Wow I am so sorry u guys r having this pain, but I am so glad u did this post. I am newly banded as well (9/4/08) and I too have this same pain. I was wondering if it was gas? I sometimes feel as if I have to burp & I can't fully burp, but whenever I do the half burp thingy I get the same pain in the chest. Mine isn't so painful & it doesn't really take my breath, but this is really the only pain I have had post surgery.

Hi, I had the same thing. I am now 2 1/2 weeks past banding. I get it back if I eat something that gets stuck (BTW that is NOT fun). It does go away after surgery. I had it for about a 1 1/2 weeks. Good luck it does get better.

Thanks alot :sad: Today is my one week anniversary and mentally I'm ready to feel better...just waiting on my body now haha. I figure alot of my problem feelings should go away by end of week 2.

I was banded on Monday and have the same pressure. It has gotten better but its not gone yet....seems to be more common in people who had a hernia repair. Is that the case with you all?? Hope it goes away soon. It is worst when I lay down flat in bed. I barely slept in the hospital because of it. Good luck to everyone just starting out. Ive only had a few fleeting moments of "what the hell did I do to myself!!!" How about you guys?

This is actually my first surgery and i didn't have a hernia. I've been told that the pressure we feel is from our stomachs being swollen and that once it goes back down then we should feel "normal" again and the pressure subsides. This takes about two weeks approximately. Now, later when we begin eating food again and we overeat, the pressure feeling will return because we personally have "swollen" our stomachs up. Our stomachs are no longer in the middle of our belly, they stop at the top now...thus...that's where we will feel the pressure. The current advice I'm following is to give it 2 full weeks and then see where I am and yes, many times ive had the feeling, "What the hell did I do to myself? Was this the right choice?" Right now that's a little difficult to honestly answer but if everyone on the blog site seems to happy with their banded choice then why would I be the only one singled out to have made the wrong decision and it comforting that others feel the same way. I've got to face it, NO PAIN NO GAIN or in this case NO LOSS and until then I'll keep the blogs hot with questions and concerns for all my fellow bandsters haha. Hope my thoughts help :sad: One week down!!

it could be swelling or that your band is too tight. i went to the doctor today 2 get an unfill cause i was too tight and was having major chest pains

Wow I am so sorry u guys r having this pain, but I am so glad u did this post. I am newly banded as well (9/4/08) and I too have this same pain. I was wondering if it was gas? I sometimes feel as if I have to burp & I can't fully burp, but whenever I do the half burp thingy I get the same pain in the chest. Mine isn't so painful & it doesn't really take my breath, but this is really the only pain I have had post surgery.

I'm right with you. Surgery two days ago and this morning after I took a few sips of Water my chest was awful. I figured the band was to tight this morning. I've read about that on the boards. (band being very tight in mornings)

I just wished I could get rid of the shoulder/back gas. It's awful.

Sandra

Well...the pressure in my chest is letting up some and isnt as noticeable being 10 days post surgery, however im having A LOT of back pain just sitting or relaxing etc...mostly in middle and upper back and i cant find a solution :tt1: does anyone have any remedy suggestions or why i might be having this problem or if any of you have experienced it?? thanks tons

Well...the pressure in my chest is letting up some and isnt as noticeable being 10 days post surgery, however im having A LOT of back pain just sitting or relaxing etc...mostly in middle and upper back and i cant find a solution :tt2: does anyone have any remedy suggestions or why i might be having this problem or if any of you have experienced it?? thanks tons

Girlfriend, I'm having the worse back pain. I even went to the chiropractor yesterday and that did nothing.

The only thing that helps me is the heating pad. I sit and sleep with a heating pad. It there was a cordless one I would walk around with it tape to my back. lol

My pain is mainly on the left side.(on right also though) It kinda feels like a knot. It's above the waist area. It feels like a pulled muscle or something.

Anyways, I believe it will go away soon. That's what I'm saying anyways. :rolleyes:

I asked my doc about the back pain, he said its probably due to the fact that after the band you carry your body differently and sleep differently because it feels weird/painful/etc.

WOW! I am so happy for this website. I feel like I have a boot right in the middle of my chest. Sometimes it's okay but sometimes it just feels like I can't take a full breath! This is my fifth day banded and I just hope this goes away very soon. What a horrible feeling.:thumbup: