Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please tell me I'm okay!

We had some company at the house this weekend and I didn't want them to know that I've had surgery. So we ordered pizza for dinner and I had 2 slices. :thumbup: I also ate other solid foods while they were here and I'm only 9 days post-op. Has anyone eaten solids this early, and do you think that I've damaged my band or stretched anything? I didn't eat a lot, just the wrong kinds of foods. Am I going to be okay if I go back on my liquid diet now?

Did you get sick at all? My surgeon had told me that the only reason he had me on the liquids, then mushy foods before solids was to make sure all the swelling had gone down before trying regular foods again...

You should call ur doc and ask. Ur in the healing part of ur banding and this could be an issue. best of luck!

~~jessica

The reason we aren't supposed to eat solids this soon is because of the stomach movement involved in digestion. I would think (but I am not a doctor) if you had done any signifcant damage, you would be in pain. Definitely get back on track tomorrow though and call your doctor immediately if you do start experiencing any pain. You can't change what you have done, all you can do is better tomorrow. Hope everything is ok!

no, I didn't get sick. In fact, I wanted to keep eating but made myself stop. I had some licorice and a couple of Cookies, too. (not all at the same time) but I felt fine after that.

Wow, you guys have replied so quickly. Thank you so much for your advise and opinions. I am definitley getting back on track tomorrow! Good luck to everyone of you on your success! Thanks

Edited by lynnie77

I'm 9 days out and scraped the toppings off a piece of pizza today, ate that, and ate one large bite of crust! I felt bad that I did it, but didn't have any pain. At 4 days post-op I was doing fine on full liquids and on Thurs. I had my post-op visit. Because I had no problems they said it was ok to start eating more foods, and to keep it to no more than a cup of whatever I was eating at that time. I've been good until today, but I just was so tempted. My doctor said that I'll get a fill in 3 weeks, and until then I would probably be hungry at times and to try and keep to their food lists and eat small portions when I was hungry. At my Thurs. appt. I had lost 11 pounds since surgery on 6/18 and I don't want it to come back! Good Luck, I know we can get back on track!! My doctor also said if there is a problem there will probably be a lot of pain. I know what you mean by trying to keep your surgery quiet, I ate a couple of bites of food last week (and then gave my plate to my husband) because a friend of mine that is "so against" weight loss surgery has been "watching me" every time I see her out because, although she knew I had surgery she doesn't know why, and quote "she hopes I wasn't stupid enough to have weight loss surgery". (jelousy). Maybe I need to find a new friend!

be careful the purpose in the post op diet is so that your stomach can heal after surgery. Make sure you stick to your diet so that you can get the results that you banded yourself for in the first place. it is only a short period of time. so hang in there

lynnie77 -- I say this to be truthful and in the very best spirit. I agree that what's done is done but do be VERY careful. The reason you can't eat "forbidden foods" right now is that your surg is still new. You could EASILY; 1) stretch out your pouch, 2) cause a slippage, 3) put too much stress on stitches that are holding the new port in place which can result in a hernia in the short or long term. This could all make your band less effective or cause a medical problem for you. In addition, although this is primarily a healing time -- you can get a really terrific weight loss bounce out of sticking to the eating plan.

You don't have to tell people about the band if you don't want to but there are things you can say like: My stomach is bothering me so I'm going to eat light until it settles, or I'm not eating processed foods so I'm going to have something else but please enjoy the pizza, or something else. Pick up a copy of a small book about lap band surgery from Amazon (there are 2 that are good). If you are unsure about something call your MDs office before you do it or as soon as something happens. Don't put your WLS or your weight loss at risk for anyone or anything.

We had some company at the house this weekend and I didn't want them to know that I've had surgery. So we ordered pizza for dinner and I had 2 slices. :thumbup: I also ate other solid foods while they were here and I'm only 9 days post-op. Has anyone eaten solids this early, and do you think that I've damaged my band or stretched anything? I didn't eat a lot, just the wrong kinds of foods. Am I going to be okay if I go back on my liquid diet now?

Well what is done is done... but next time ask yourself this. If u are a recovering drug addict and your friends that u use to hang out with don't know that u have kicked yr habit and they come around asking u if u want to get high with them say naaa im good... don't do it... or either choose a new set of friends. U are starting distructive behavior already, u are setting yourself up for failure. U have to have some sort of will power. The band aint gonna make u stop eating the foods that u actually like, u just wont be able to eat that much of it... Now in a few months a slice or 1/2 slice will be fine but not now you are still healing...

Edited by mstrina27

I agree with what you said MsTrina.

I was on a liquid diet for almost a month post op. That is what the doctor required. It was hard as hell but you have to realize the band isn't going to work all alone. I didn't even eat watered down Soup until week 3. I thought I was going to die lol. If you don't want people to know you've had surgery just tell them you've already eaten or your stomach just doesn't feel well so you're gonna have soup instead or maybe try and eat later. Most people don't give a second thought about why you aren't eating. At least that's what I've experienced. (Maybe no one cares about me :crying:) lol jk I hope everything works out for you. :thumbup: