Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Light Headed During Liquid Diet

OMG...I'm there with you! I've been on Clear Liquids since yesterday and my head is absolutely pounding. I had to meet with a client this morning and have no doubt that she thinks I'm a total idiot. I can handle the hunger but the dizziness and fogginess is awful. I switched from bullion to real chicken broth hoping that the 1g of Protein would make a difference.

OMG I am so glad you said that about the fogginess! I'm a total space cadet! Wheewww first day back to work after being on vacation for a week and man o man! Its ugly up in here! : ) Thanks for being there with me.

I called my doc and they suggest a little gatoraid she thinks my electolites may be off a bit. We'll see. I have no gatoraid here at work and I'm too scared to go to the gas station. There is a McDonalds attached! YIKES!!!

I will admit that I just had 2 tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese and a carrot. I'm not sure that it did anything but I was starting to feel a little crazy :biggrin:

This is what I am afraid of when it's time for my pre-op diet. WHen I first went in for my consultation the PA said they were doing a high-protein, low-carb pre-op diet at that time, but thinking of changing it to liquid. I hope not!!!

I would be ok with a full-liquid diet but the clear 5 day clear liquid pre-op diet fries the brain. I read that it takes a couple of days for your body to adjust. By then I'll probably be in the fetal position and slobbering on myself.

I totally agree with Luna. The low carb with Protein would be fine with me. This all clear stuff is for the birds! I am doing better today than I was yesterday but again I'm back at work and that helps!

Luna dont feel bad about your carrot episode. Last night I made myself a bowl of broth well strained veggie Soup. I drank that and was like hmm... I'm still hungary. So I made myself another. Still didnt help so I had a SF Jello. Guess what "didnt help" so I ate 2 more sf jello's still hungary so I had yet another broth. After all of that two hours later I was hungary again. I took a small tortilla and put a bit of cheese on it nuked it and ate it. I felt so much better and I wasnt hungry anymore.

I know I shouldnt have but I too was going nutz! I'm staying strong today but I am still dizzy and lightheaded.

Kathy - I have seen so many different diets being on this board that its truly amazing. Everyone on here has it different. You'll be fine discuss it with your doc and I'm sure you can get to something a little easier than mine. I'm 10 days clear liquids only. They let me go to 7 days because I was on vacation last week but man o man is this a challenge!

Stay strong and "grounded" for us that are lightheaded! LOL : )

I am already banded, bt my pre- op diet was a milk only diet. Where I can drink all milk coffe, yougurt, milk and stuff like that. I thot i wld go crazy so I foned my doctor and tld him I was goin crazy, so he tld me to do a calorie counted diet of 1000cals a day.

I'm on day 13 of a 14 day Optifast (protein shake) diet. The doctor said absolutely no food and I did fine for 4 or 5 days, and then started getting dizzy and lightheaded. I called my doctor's office and they told me that I needed stay on Optifast all day but then have a low cal, low carb, high Protein meal for dinner because it sounded like my body needed more calories (duh!!). I've been doing much better with that! I would love to know why some doctors want you on one diet and others on something totally different.

Hi. I am new here and this is my first post. My surgery is Wednesday.

Because my insurance approved so quickly (it only took them one day!) and because I had lost so much weight already (11lbs in 3 weeks) my doctor told me that I could do 6 days of liquid diet pre-op. I am now on day four and it is a little hard to concentrate on work because I am a little light-headed.

My thought is that it will be worth it after Wednesday.

Lewser- you are so right! It will all be worth it Friday. I just pray I can stay strong. I'm doing okay today but the past two days have been kinda hard. I found Wyler's checken bouillon with herbs and spices. It's totally yummy! Saving my bacon totally.

I think this is why my doctor requires a Protein Shake for Breakfast, lunch and a high Protein small sensible dinner for 2 weeks before surgery. I dunno if I could do all liquid.

I am only on day 4 of the "2 Protein Shakes and a light low carb meal a day" pre-op diet. I feel like a zombie!!! And today I bent over and thought I'd faint. yikes.:wink2: How am I going to do this for 10 days???

I think this is why my doctor requires a Protein shake for breakfast, lunch and a high Protein small sensible dinner for 2 weeks before surgery. I dunno if I could do all liquid.

That is exactly what i have to do... Now dont get me wrong the chicken broth is yummy... but i also drink v-juice, crystal lyte.. and lipton has an instant cream of chicken Soup and damn it that crap good... wow... 60-calories.. pretty tasty i might add exp. when u r hungry... and I also drink sugar free red bull.. hell that helps so much... but like froggi said at least i can eat 1 meal a day... and i just got finished swollowing that without putting it in the microwave...lol just kidding..:wink2: