Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I went to my doctors appointment on Thursday excited and ready to go. The coordinator (Tammy) came in and said everything looks good, I have even lost some weight and we were going to start the pre-surgery diet tomorrow!! I was never so happy to have someone tell me I was not going to b able to eat... then

The surgeon comes in and tells me that the psychologist had some concerns about how I would handle the changes post-op and there were concerns about possible binging (not to say that he is saying I have a problem with this nor is he diagnosing me with this)...

this has NEVER been an issue for me and I have no idea where he is getting this but I now get to go see him for a few appointments and when he feels everything is ok we can reschedule...

The surgeon was great about it he said that we could not care and go ahead and do the band and just deal with things if they came up but he wanted to know that I was ready to make such a huge life altering decision and that we were partners in a colaberation.

Which is great to know that he cares but I was so stoked and felt just devistated... but managed to get home b4 i broke down and cried over it.

I see the psychologist again on Monday at 10:00 so we will see what his concerns are and what other hoops I am going to have to jump through to get another surgery date.

I have of course been to work and cancelled my sick leave and am waiting still somw more.

More to come after Mondays appointment I guess.

Thanx for listening to the rambling,

Kim

Unless the shrink is being holier then thou know it all then find the silver lining in it all. You will be able to stem off any possible problems, and or you can take that extra time to make sure you have everything you need post op.

Silver lining to everything, at least I try to think there is.

Kim, I am so sorry to hear about your postponement. Talk to the psych. and find out exactly what the concerns are and work through them as quickly as possible. Let us know what happens. We are pulling for you!!

I am sorry for your disappointment and inconvenience(rescheduling sick leave, etc.) Please don't take this negatively, but try to think of it as being totally prepared for a huge change in your life. Many people post on this board after surgery with comments like "I want my band out NOW!", "Why did I do this to myself?" and "I'm so frustrated, it isn't working!" Instead of being one of those people later, be the person who really, sincerely works with the psychologist to address any underlying issues instead of looking at it as "Jumping through hoops". The physical part of the surgery is easy for most people. The mental game and the life adjustments are the biggest parts of the procedure and it is better to be prepared. I went to Mexico and had no psych eval. I have a history of depression and I'm sure it would have sent up red flags had I done my surgery in the USA. That being said, I love my band and am extremely happy with the results. I do wish you the best!

That sucks... but everything happens for a reason... so just focus on u, and everything will be ok..

Kim,

I completely understand how you feel. Here is my story. I was scheduled to have the band in Aug. Started my two week liquid diet, and the day before surg the office called me and told me there was a problem. My blood test showed that I had high Calcium levels and the Dr would not do surgery until I found out what was wrong and got it fixed. Come to find out I had hyperparathyroidism and had to have one of my parathyroids taken out in Nov. I was absolutly devistated and cried for days. It was for the best, I could have had serious Cardiac problems during surgery. I, like you had taken sick time off. Thank god my boss was able to stop the process and I could go ahead and work. It was hard to explain it to co-workers since they did not know why I was taking time off. I have since had my band Jan 3rd, and have lost 58 pounds. Please hang in there, waiting just makes you so much more ready and informed. Good luck to you and so sorry this happened.

Hang in there. My EKG was abnormal and until that is resolved - no surgery. I am using the extra time to try and be better prepared. For me that means getting into an exercise routine and chew, chew, chew.

Good luck!:)

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I would be devistated. I sure hope my psych doesn't do this to me. I clicked with him on the phone but during my visit I clammed up because of the way he talked to me.

I know this is really hard for you, but try to use this time productively, and not just as a hoop to jump through. One of the very BEST things I did for myself was see the psychologist through my WLC (I still see her). This can be a huge life change - or not- if you are not really ready for it. Lets face it, we didn't come to the drastic decision of persuing WLS because we have been successful at dieting and exercising.

Guess what, if you aren't prepared to change your eating behaviours and patterns (and the lap band does not force you to change your behaviour - it is incredibly easy to "eat around the band"), you will find the journey frustrating and possibly not successful.

I agree with those who have recommended that you sit down with the psychologist and talk about his/her concerns. I am assuming that the psychologist has some experience working with obesity and wouldn't have raised the concerns if some red flags had not been raised.

I don't use my psychologist to discuss my deep dark secrets and unresolved feelings, but rather we talk about ways that I can use my strengths to succeed in this journey. I think I have grown so much and therapy has been a key part of the journey. I don't think I would be where I am today without that assistance. I truly believe that I have learned enough about myself, that for the first time I have the coping skills and the awareness to not only lose the weight, but keep it off.

Chin up, good luck and work hard. You can do it :)

Keep smiling and it will all work out. I will put some high energy thoughts out there for you. Chin up stay in there think possitive.

Ruth

Well I met with the doctor and he was suprised to see me. He said his intention was to make sure that counseling was available after the surgery should I need it, not to postpone the surgery. He did say that I scored (in his opinion) to low on the test he had me fill out about my food habits and was wondering if I was trying to just say what he wanted to hear, or if I was hiding something. I tried to reassure him that there are no problems with binging, I just like food, period. Yes there are times when I have eaten a meal and finished what was on my plate even though I was full, but I do not sit in my kitchen floor and eat the cabinets bare, or use food for a vice if im upset. I was honest with him about my past and growing up and he kept asking over and over if I was sure there was not anything I needed help with. I guess me not drinking because my father did, or not abusing my children because I was abused is just to weird... or its just that uncommon that the cycle is broken. But at any rate he said he would call and talk with the coordinator and she could get with the surgeon and he would call and let me know how that went. I have approved appointments with his office should I need them post-surgery, but for now I am, I believe good to go. He did not even feel like we needed to make any more appointments at this time. I am glad to be in hands of people who do not just shove people though, but on the other hand it was ackward sitting there trying to assure him that there are no hidden issues that we need to deal with.

I was actually kind of worried about the psyc part of the process anyway because I was scared I'd over think things and I work in Human Services and deal with those standardized forms for mental screenings and even score them so I think that might be a small part of it as well.

So I am awaiting word from the surgeons office as to when we can reschedule the surgery and get back on the road. I know that a few weeks is nothing compared to being able to have a tool that will help me get healthy and enjoy the rest of my life. Now that the emotion from the rescheduling is gone that is :thumbup:

It is good that you got some clarification - Thursday must have been a very confusing day for you! I think it is a good thing that the psych wanted to be available to you post-op. It's a major life change, so it warrants "going forward" discussions.