Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post-op: how many lbs lost?

I know this time is for recovery...but just wondering if others gained/lost weight? My post-op has been full of ups/downs as far as my weight.

3/4 (surgery): 227

3/5: 226.8

3/6: 230

3/7: 227.2

3/8: 224.4

My upper stomach (yes, it looks like I have 2 stomachs) looks like it is full of liquid...it's all watery and jiggly (and not fat-jiggy...a different kind of jiggly). I feel like the blueberry girl on Willie Wonka who needs to be drained. Please let me know your stories!

Lise

Don't worry about it. Your body is really in shock right now and the weight is just Water retention -- part of the swelling and healing process.

I'm having two other problems, though:

1. I am totally HUNGRY! My doc said to get 600-800 calories, but there is NO WAY that I can do this on broth, tea and the 60-70 grams of Protein (in the form of clear drinks, at 60 cal/15 grams). I am so, so hungry!!!

2. I can't burp! The doc said to except to be burpy, and I often get a huge, painful sensation of needing to burp, but I can't get it to come up.

Anyone else have these problems?

Jill65-i know exactly how you feel. I don't know if i am hungry...but i know i miss eating, i can't even watch commercials of food and my husband has to eat in another room.

and more importantly, it's been exactly 4 days and i know exactly what you mean about the gas....it's the worst feeling. i have only been drinking fresh juices and Water and barely bc i am so scared of gagging. i have lost 8 pounds already...but i could care less. i want to feel good again...i want to feel where i was before this. i am strating to think i made a mistake.

I HEAR YAH JILL!!!!

I want to burp so badly I could cry. I am almost a month out and although I can get out the occasional burp I feel plugged up most of the time. The burp rumbles in my belly, starts its way up and stops around my ribcage. This continues until my stomach is so full it cant help but escape, and look out when it does. It sounds like a fog horn but it is such a relief. I cant even force out burps which makes the feeling all the worse. I find drinking warm teas makes it worse also, not sure why. My Dr. said the inability to burp is a good thing for me as I suffered from GERD before the surgery and am happy to say not a trace since, and the band keeps all that acid down there in the bottom of my stomach.

Dr said the worst case scenario is having to go to the hospital to have a tube inserted into my stomach to release the air.

Jill65-i know exactly how you feel. I don't know if i am hungry...but i know i miss eating, i can't even watch commercials of food and my husband has to eat in another room......i want to feel where i was before this. i am strating to think i made a mistake.

This is me 100%. Not sure if I'm actually "hungry" but oh how I miss eating. It seems ever since I got banded there are 5 times as many food commercials on. Before when my husband or kids would make something to eat I didn't even really notice but now I'm like a blood hound. I know I made the right decision as far as weight loss but I'm not very happy now in fact I'm pretty sad. I just want a regular meal, not even a fattening meal just someting I can eat with a FORK!

This is me 100%. Not sure if I'm actually "hungry" but oh how I miss eating. It seems ever since I got banded there are 5 times as many food commercials on. Before when my husband or kids would make something to eat I didn't even really notice but now I'm like a blood hound. I know I made the right decision as far as weight loss but I'm not very happy now in fact I'm pretty sad. I just want a regular meal, not even a fattening meal just someting I can eat with a FORK!

ronwifey: I don't think I am hungry but i do miss eating too. I never realized there were so many food commercials...and I keep thinking...if only i had "xyz" for one last time...My husband is still eating in the other room but I feel horrible for him. i am still not 100% sure I made the right decision...and I am sad too. Although I feel much better today physically so emotionally i feel better. i also miss have a regular meal...i am willing to settle for anything. What have you been eating/drinking since you've been banded? i have only been drinking fresh juices (half cups every 2 hours) I am in Kuwait so the support system is horrible. I felt like for my dr it was a business transaction. I haven't even seen him since my surgery...although I have an appointment with him. When I called him 2 days out, he told me "stop being a baby." And since i haven't told any of my friends here, i think it had something to do with me being so down. I am hoping to go into work tomorrow.

:eek: Hi Guys, I was banded exactly 12 days ago and as of this morning have lost 11 1/2 lbs. I start mushies stage on Tuesday. I wonder if any of you find yourselves constantly thinking about food. I mean what is wrong with me? There is more to life isn't there? I am excited to start mushies but if they are the liquid consistency I have been on for 14 days I don't know if I can take it. Anyone have any suggestions for a great first mushies dinner? Anyway, I am hungry all the time as well. I will eat and get full but an hour or so later I am hungry again. I thought this surgery was supposed to curb my appetite, so what gives? And the burping thing. I can't get one out. It starts in my stomach and ends up stuck in the bottom of my throat. I am still happy to have done this but I miss chewing, that wonderful full satisfied feeling, and BURPING!!!!!! :) Any suggestions?

Hey another North-Westerner!

I was banded last week and have lost 7 pounds. I was up and down for the first few days and expected that. I was not and am not infatuated with the scale. I think of banding like a tattoo, you don't see what the finished product is going to be like until the swelling goes down and your body accepts the change.. I struggled with gas, lots of gas in my stomach/intestines. I have gotten some relief with mylanta. Laying on my side helps a lot to pass the air. I have a tremendous amount of additional pain from the abdominal hernias that my doctor repaired (11 total) I have had two huge surgeries prior to this, I had 10 inches of my sigmoid colon removed due to diverticulitis and a year later I had an incisinal hernia repaired due to the surgery the year prior. That didn't go too well. I got a staph infection and was hospitalized for 11 days and almost died! I had a bunch of abdominal wall damage and had cadaver skin sewn in place to hold things together. Well now as a result I had a lot of hernias on my abdomen. I spent 5 hours on the table last Monday getting those fixed along with the Lap-Band. I still have a lot of pain with my abdomen but the lap-band part of it is going pretty good. I have been eating yogurt, Protein Drinks, Water (crystal lite) , creamed Soups, juice etc. I have one more week of liquids then I get to have mashed potatoes!. I'll be home from work for at least one wore week maybe two. I look forward to chatting with you

The lapband system wasn't designed for 1 week post op and weight loss.

It's meant for weightloss after restriction.

So congrats to all who lose the weight thru dieting!

(I wasn't able to diet...the band was my tool to lose weight)

I am exactly one week post op and lost 7 pounds this week. My weight went up the first few days after surgery too. Dont worry about it! It will come back down. I went to the surgeon this morning and got clearance to move onto mushy foods. Had shaved chicken and cottage cheese for lunch and it tasted like filet mignon!! My hunger pains have gone away! Yeah! The first few days were really bad. Almost regretted doing this. Now that the scale is moving down and I am not so starved I know I have made the right choice. I am now down a total of 15 pounds since starting the pre op diet.

I know exactly how you feel. On my way to the doctor's office this morning I passed all the restaurants I used go to and had a sudden feeling of sadness. I also kind of felt like an ex-junky that can't go back to their old haunts.

My first week I lost about 32 lbs.

Keep in mind that any upfront loss is maybe 40 - 50% fat, the rest will be fluids.

My first week I lost about 32 lbs.

Keep in mind that any upfront loss is maybe 40 - 50% fat, the rest will be fluids.

32 pounds in one week is not only extremely dangerous but I would think nearly impossible!

It's great to see that I'm not the only one suffering. I can't tell if I'm hungry or if it's gas! The surgeon up here in BC... Canada, likes his patients on clear fluids for 1 month. I don't think I'll last a full month. He says it's best for healing and getting started for weightloss.

Sometimes I feel like an addict... wanting a fix... but like an addict who wants to change, I will need to change my surroundings for a while, and like you all say.... those damn food commercials!

Take care...

debbie from way up north, where we have lots of snow!