Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bright Red BLOOD

After eating some dry Cereal today, I forgot and took a big big swallow of Water, after the pain stopped, I spit back the water and it had bright red blood with it. I called my doctors office and left a vague, "please have him call me" message.

The other time it happened I had some coleslaw that I thought went down the wrong way and I had a swallow of water that time too, that was a couple of weeks ago.

I've also paid attention and when I get the slime it's after I finished my last bitefull and then drank something.

I did notice a funny feeling in my chest, like a little tightness after I spit back the bright red blood.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Pat..that is never a good sign

Please make sure you have this checked..it could mean a number of things. I once had a bleeding ulcer and would spit up blood from time to time..

Where was the ulcer, it didn't feel like it came from my stomach, because the Water felt like it got stuck at the top of my band. I've convinced myself it was probably a blood vessel because it was rather forceful if that makes sense. Since it happened a couple of weeks ago I have paid close attention to be sure there was no sign of dried or old blood. I really think it was a blood vessel, ok there, I've diagnosed myself.

Goodness girl, you have me scared to death!!!!! I would definately call that doc's office back if you havent heard from them by 4:30 or so!

Are you able to drink liquids right now? Any pain?

Nana, do not post here again till you have a doctor's appointment! You worry me, so get on the phone and get to the doc quick hop like a bunny. Hurry back, too.

Ok, I called his office back and had him paged to call me back. I will post as soon as I hear from him. Thanks for all the concern.

My doctor just called me back and said it was probably a tiny blood vessel, that the esophagus was very sensitive and easily scratched. He said it would be like skinning your knuckle. He said I was the first bander he had heard of having this sensitive of an esophagus, he sees it more often with a bypass patient.

I also explained to him when I throw up, even though this was not from down deep, but my chest, that I use force, I once got a black eye from throwing up, (years ago before being banded, the night before leaving on vacation, had to go the entire time with a black eye, my poor DH, everyone looked at him like he'd done it).

Whewww, best believe I'll be waiting the full 30 minutes after eating to drink from now on. Thanks again everyone.

Pat, I wait an hour after eating before I drink anything. Some people wait 2 hours. You mentioned throwing up. Has this been since you were banded? Is it happening a lot? Are you having any abdominal pain?

Wow, that's some powerful negative reinforcement for not drinking while you eat!

That's just what I was thinking!!!!!

I've only thrown up a few of times since the band and it was always due to drinking with my meal or too soon after.. And it's not really like I threw up, it's more like the Water came back because it wouldn't pass through the stomach because of the food in there, at least that's what the doctor explained today.

Like I said it definately got my attention and I will NOT drink Water or anything immediately behind eating. Right after I was banded I use to sneak little sips with my mushy foods, just as a habit, BUT, since I've had a fill, there is no sneaking.

Since I didn't do it often, I didn't realize the impact, but I do now and I will probably wait longer as well. It's kind of aggrivating, I keep a bottle of water on my desk and that has been foremost on my mind, "lots of fluids". I'm still relatively new at this and just because I THOUGHT I knew it all already, welllllll..... no I know NOT!

Thanks for listening and caring.

Oh honey you know ANYTIME anything like that happens you can come here!! I've never had that and I havent been here for a few days but i'm glad to know he said you were ok! Has it happend again?? Feeling better?? Let us know how your doing!

Katie