Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie with questions

i am new to all of this. i just had my lapband done last week.

and i have so many questions but not really anyone to ask.

i had a lot of post op pain and am just now back on my feet....is this normal? will i always have this indigestion feeling to my chest?

can i go back to eating something besides liquids, just in smaller amts?

help

:help:

Hi there :scared: I was just banded on the 27th. I was in an extensive pre-op program which thoroughly prepared its attendants with vast amounts of paperwork re: everything from suggested post op diet to handling social events. I'm far from an expert and quite full of questions myself but I'd be happy to answer anything I can! Would be nice if this all this paper gets put to multiple good uses!

I'm currently on my 2 week post op liquid diet. When that ends I start 2 weeks of diced Proteins and smooth foods...As I understand it after that more foods can be added to your diet.

thanks for answer(s).....

caniopanda!

i did not have an extensive pre op program, i apparently have the

easiest insurance to get these things approved.

so from initial consultation to procedure was about 3-4 weeks.

i tried the Clear Liquids for the first few days and all they did was turn my stomach and so the more dehydrated i became.

i have tried some tiny bites of some of the veggies in the soups

and usually a bite is all i need.

i still have sig amt of belly pain but it seems to be where the port is located.

i will see my surgeon in the next 2 weeks for f/u

i will jump on the scale for the first time tomorrow.....

will let you know how that goes!

:clap2:

yes, i am trying to figure things out day by day

one day i seem to have too little and the next day i am apparently drinking too much and have this indigestion pain

i was banded on the 26th and so am 6 days out.

i feel better but still weak, no energy and in pain.

hopefully staff will be back in office tomorrow to help answer my questions about intake, pain etc

hang in there!:phanvan

For me the pain, is very mild, but I am suprised by how weak I feel. Anyone know how long this weakness s expected to last?

I have questions too. I got banded on the 27th. I feel great physically. Mentally is where my problem is. I've had broth, broth, and more broth. I've had yougurt, SF yogurt and pudding. I don't feel too hungry; however, I don't have a problem eating 6 oz yogurt, 8 oz broth, etc. What's wrong with me? :help:I see people that just eat 2-3 oz. I feel a tad bit of frustration because I'm not full at 3 bites.

I can also eat 6 - 8 oz of liquid, but remember, we have not had a fill yet, so there is no restriction from the band other than so post op swelling.

i get full very quickly

also it is important to know that some people never need a fill, the placement of the band is sufficient. maybe i am one of those, time will tell. my husband is on me to take my Vitamins because i am not eating much at all, even 6 days out

I have some indigestion - my lapband was put in on Thursday, Jan. 24. I feel like I have a lot of energy - but the indigestion is a little bothersome.

I have tried some applesauce and some pudding. I am thinking of eating just my Protein shakes for the next two weeks. That should keep me going. Any thoughts?

I feel bad for you - that you have so little information! I felt like I had information overload before my surgery but now I am glad because it is all stuff I needed to know!

You will feel normal again, I promise. Don't forget you had major surgery so be patient and don't expect to feel 100% too quickly.

My doctor had me on clear liquids for four days after surgery (surgery day was day 1) then I started on soft Proteins (chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, refried Beans, low sugar/low fat yogurt,eggs) for one month. This is to give the stomach/band area time to heal. Be very careful in these first few weeks, you don't want to risk band slippage so don't eat anything hard or fibrous. Around week three I felt pretty much like my old self again physically. Then I started getting hungry! That is normal, so don't freak out. You are supposed to feel hunger, it means the swelling is going down and you are healing. If you don't feel hungry, just wait and you eventually will. That is a sign that it is time for your first fill. I am happy to answer any other questions you can think of. I think I covered the ones you asked so far. Stay on this forum and you should be able to get the info you need.

Oh, and try to get in the habit of eating three meals a day with no Snacks. Don't drink 1/2 hour before and after meals, don't drink during meals, take very tiny bites, chew each bite to the consistency of applesauce- start doing that now before you physically have to and it will get you ready for when you do have to (when you reach full restriction). And remember - it can take several fills before the band is working optimally so don't stress out too much about how much weight you are losing. Be patient. (This is coming from a very impatient person, I'm learning alongside you!)

first off...congrats on your surgery....and yes it is normal to be in pain for the first couple of weeks...you are healing...and no, you will not always have the indigestion feeling in your chest...and I wouldn't not be eating anything solid, unless your doctor said you could...follow the post op diet to the letter...

well almost 4 weeks out and i am finally feeling normal.

eating sensibly but what i want, smaller portions.

energy finally back

no fills thus far

my port incision still hurts more than it should however.

my last wt was 17lb down

so that was very encouraging......

:

weight.png

The best advice I Can give you , is if you have questoins about what you can and can not eat you have to ask your doc. So many docs have so many different policies you HAVE TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR !

If you feel your doc did not give you adequate post op instructions call him and DEMAND THEM ! That is your right as a patient, You should have instructions for the next 6 weeks of what you can and can not eat.

As much as LBT is here for SUPPORT it is not the place or to replace medical advice !

My port incision's was sore for quite some time. Again though if you think your port incision is sore Ask your doctor about it. YOU paid GOOD MONEY for this surgery take advantage of y our doctor and call and ask questions !

HTH

Mindy