Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 years postop... the long haul.

A perspective on what it is like YEARS after gastric sleeve. I was sleeved in January 2018. Start weight was 265 lb, and I am now 174lb. I wanted to get to 160, but haven't got there. I am 5ft 9.

Am I glad I did it? I'm conflicted on this. It's SO permanent. I get very tired of not being able to eat a normal size meal. Going out to eat is expensive and frustrating, cause I can only eat about 1/4 of what is on my plate. Cooking seems to take away any appetite I might have (it's like the smell kills my appetite), so by the time I am ready to serve a meal to my family, I cannot eat a bite.

I still suffer nausea and vomiting, yes even 6 years down the track. Even if its just dry retching and there is nothing in my stomach. I suffer from reflux which I never had prior to surgery, so I take a PPI every day. I also take Vitamins, because my food intake is so tiny. But a lot of the time, I throw them back up. I am chronically anaemic due to lack of red meat or substantial leafy greens. The only thing that seems to help is to take tiny sips of iced Water to try and settle the retching.

Eating a small meal can take an hour, because I have to wait for my stomach to empty before I can take another bite. Eating sugary or carbohydrate foods makes me sweaty and shaky, and I still battle bouts of dumping syndrome (I am not diabetic). I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome due to the surgery, and I burp lots! Hardly ever prior to surgery. This is all awkward in company for lunch or dinner, and I don't feel I want to announce to all dinner companions (who may just be friends of friends) about my surgical history!

I have lost 90 lbs, dropped 3 dress sizes, but if I had my time over, I wish I could have lost the weight through diet and exercise. I really do.

So just know... there is no going back from this surgery. It's totally permanent.

Edited by Saxons
Spelling

sorry to hear you're dealing with this - but just to let others know, this isn't a very common experience.

Gosh. Thank you for sharing OP but lots of us have had a very different experience. So sorry that you've had such a difficult time adjusting to your surgery.

I totally agree that most people on this forum have tried to lose weight in the traditional ways (diet and exercise) and failed many many times. I'm not sure how you are relating that to your current experience though.

Please may I ask you - if you had to do it all again and not have the surgery and stay at 265 lbs whether that would now be your choice?

To stay at 265lbs wouldn't be my preference, with or without surgery.

I think what I am trying to say, that if I had a crystal ball prior to surgery, then I might have decided to really worked very hard with a dietician and personal trainer, rather than altering my body anatomy and physiology so dramatically and permanently.

I have 2 friends who have also been sleeved who have had disastrous outcomes. One is down to 100lb and is quite sick, she has been admitted to hospital numerous times. The other has had gastric leaks, and has had 4 repeat surgeries to oversew the gastric suture line. Another has developed pancreatic cancer (unrelated to gastric sleeve), but she is battling to get enough nutrients into her to fight the debilitating effects of chemo.

I just think we all need to recognise this is a huge anatomical and physiological change to our bodies, structure, digestion, Vitamin intake which lasts for the whole of our lives.

OK then what I'm hearing is that you regret having surgery based on what you can now eat and also on what your friends have experienced.

Please be assured that what you can eat now compared to the future will be totally different, and soon!

23 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

OK then what I'm hearing is that you regret having surgery based on what you can now eat and also on what your friends have experienced.

Please be assured that what you can eat now compared to the future will be totally different, and soon!

Well after 6 years, nothing has changed much since the end of the first year. So I think I am stuck with the result I have. It's just a heads up to those potential patients considering gastric sleeve surgery to go in with your eyes wide open as to the both positive and negative outcomes.

I appreciate you sharing this with us. I hope I don't feel the same way when I hit 6 years, but I think it's so important to share the reality of how unnatural it feels to eat after these surgeries. We will never eat a "normal" sized meal again, and I think everyone going into this surgery needs to know that.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:55 PM, Saxons said:

I wish I could have lost the weight through diet and exercise.

Studies show that the likelihood of losing this much and maintaining without surgery is basically 0%. So, the real choice was staying where you were (and likely gaining more) or WLS.

I'm sorry that you're struggling. Your outcome seems to be quite extreme, both physically and emotionally. Are you working with your WLS team to address? Engaged in therapy? This constellation of challenges seems to be beyond what you can address without help from medical professionals.

Edited by maintenanceman

17 hours ago, bariatricks said:

We will never eat a "normal" sized meal again, and I think everyone going into this surgery needs to know that.

Yes. But that's the whole point of WLS. If we could eat "normal" size meals again, without restriction, we would likely regain most/all of the weight as we all have done with countless diets.

I too am sorry you are experiencing so many difficulties. There always is a chance for side effects like with any surgery & it seems like you & your friends got the bad hand unfortunately.

Like @maintenanceman I too wondered if you are working with your team & surgeon to find solutions or ways of managing your challenges.

Sure I have a couple of issues I manage from my surgery. I experience the foamies more frequently than most & it varies from one occurrence to the next as to what set it off. It’s not a daily or even weekly thing but it happens. But my tummy always was a little quirky & it still is. I take a PPI every day because my previously managed & mild reflux is now a constant. Though some of my old reflux symptoms side effects (like hideous hiccups) are much improved which is a win in my mind. Rather have these couple of issues then still be at the weight I was. Because believe me I tried to lose my weight many, many times over the years. Sure sometimes I succeeded at times but it never lasted. This is the first time in my life (& I’m 58 now) I have lost weight & been able to keep it off as I have with this surgery.

How much are you able to eat? What do you consider is a ‘normal’ sized meal? So many meals & portions we are served are double or even triple what we should be eating & our view of a ‘normal’ sized meal have been screwed. The smallest piece of steak I can order anywhere from high end restaurants to a pub is 250g (they’re even often called a petit serve 🙄) which is more than double the recommended 85g (cooked) portion size for an adult.

I hope you receive some help & support soon.

As others have stated, sorry you are going through so many issues and I appreciate when folks state the other side of things. That being said, I would say that many (if not most) of us who have had the surgery haven't experienced the post operative effects that you have had.

Personally, it's been 3 years for me. Without a doubt, the best decision of my life. I've been fortunate to have basically had zero negative side effects. This IS a life altering surgery. You won't be able to eat what you previously referred to as a "normal" sized meal. What we considered normal pre-surgery certainly wasn't healthy or we wouldn't have been obese...

I believe anyone considering the surgery should read EVERYTHING (positive and negative) and make the choice that is right for THEM.

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I think what you are experiencing is not the norm for people who have undergone this surgery. I just had the surgery 6 months ago but (knock on wood) have not had any of the complications you are experiencing. I know this is the best thing i have ever done for myself and am thankful everyday that i had VSG. It is permanent, but so is the weight we have unless we get help medically to lose it. The chance to lose and keep off 100lbs plus is 0% as someone else mentioned above. I appreciate your honesty and letting others know that these things can happen, but for someone considering this surgery, please dont be discouraged as the outcome this person had is not the norm. A majority of us think this is the best thing weve done and wish we did it sooner in life!

this scares me but what scares me more is being so overweight never being able to there for my kids for anything. I have lost 100lbs gained it back, lost 40lbs gained it back, I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and self image. Now I am turning to surgery because I feel as tho is my last option to get my life under control. I am aware of the habits that I have will need to stop, the amount of food I eat needs to stop, the alcohol consumption will need to reduce. I am willing to this because this will help me in the long run.

I am so sorry your going through this and this does make me more nervous about undergoing this surgery :(

32 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

this scares me but what scares me more is being so overweight never being able to there for my kids for anything. I have lost 100lbs gained it back, lost 40lbs gained it back, I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and self image. Now I am turning to surgery because I feel as tho is my last option to get my life under control. I am aware of the habits that I have will need to stop, the amount of food I eat needs to stop, the alcohol consumption will need to reduce. I am willing to this because this will help me in the long run.

I am so sorry your going through this and this does make me more nervous about undergoing this surgery :(

Read the many positive results a large part of us have on here. Although there can be some negative effects in some people, the majority of people on will say it was the best thing they have done and wish they had done it sooner.

3 hours ago, NCL04321 said:

Read the many positive results a large part of us have on here. Although there can be some negative effects in some people, the majority of people on will say it was the best thing they have done and wish they had done it sooner.

I got through this app and look for the positive affirmation that the decision I am making is a good one. Thank you for saying that! :)