Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mounjaro side effects

Hello all. I’m needing some advice or help. I had the sleeve December 21 and had lost 80 lbs. I still had 10-15 to get to my goals so I started Mounjaro in may. I’ve done great so far and have lost 12 lbs! We increased my dose to 5mg on Friday; and I’ve been an absolute mess. My body feels insanely exhausted. Walking up stairs I’m huffing and puffing. I can’t workout. I’m exhausted. My anxiety is through the roof. I also am getting married next month as well as moving 3 days after the wedding. I know I have a lot going on and I’ve been truly ok with not being overwhelmed. Friday we increased the dose and I’ve just felt so odd. My body feels like it’s a million lbs heavy and is so hard to do anything cuz it’s so heavy. I feel nauseous sometimes and most foods if not all foods make me feel repulsed. Nothing sounds good. Literally nothing. I’m barely eating. It’s been bad. I just don’t know if this is typical with increasing doses and if there’s anything I can do to feel better? I’m deff decreasing back to 2.5 or even stopping completely. I don’t wanna risk feeling this way. I’ve been just hysterically crying with anxiety and body weakness all day and yesterday. Does anyone have anything similar they’ve experienced??? Thank you!!!

17 minutes ago, jstec2 said:

Hello all. I’m needing some advice or help. I had the sleeve December 21 and had lost 80 lbs. I still had 10-15 to get to my goals so I started Mounjaro in may. I’ve done great so far and have lost 12 lbs! We increased my dose to 5mg on Friday; and I’ve been an absolute mess. My body feels insanely exhausted. Walking up stairs I’m huffing and puffing. I can’t workout. I’m exhausted. My anxiety is through the roof. I also am getting married next month as well as moving 3 days after the wedding. I know I have a lot going on and I’ve been truly ok with not being overwhelmed. Friday we increased the dose and I’ve just felt so odd. My body feels like it’s a million lbs heavy and is so hard to do anything cuz it’s so heavy. I feel nauseous sometimes and most foods if not all foods make me feel repulsed. Nothing sounds good. Literally nothing. I’m barely eating. It’s been bad. I just don’t know if this is typical with increasing doses and if there’s anything I can do to feel better? I’m deff decreasing back to 2.5 or even stopping completely. I don’t wanna risk feeling this way. I’ve been just hysterically crying with anxiety and body weakness all day and yesterday. Does anyone have anything similar they’ve experienced??? Thank you!!!

This is similar to Ozempic and Wegovy, right? I have to ask, why are you taking that if you had surgery? And you will have to stay on it because once you stop, all the weight that came off will come right back on. BUT...having said that... it sounds like your body liked the previous dose you were on and worked well. If you were losing weight, why increase it? I would definitely lower the dose back to where it was before, and then maybe look at doing a pouch reset and starting your bariatric diet over to get the results you want from the sleeve.

I got on it bc I was stalled for 9 months. And that’s not necessarily true. I eat right and I still couldn’t lose more. I wanted it to help with the last few lbs. it’s pretty common. And I increased it cuz I didn’t lose for 2 weeks of the 4 week intro on 2.5mg so we tried the 5 and it’s just been absolute hell. I’m scared to even do the lower dose.

Sounds like side effects, check out Reddit, tons of posts about it. Hope you feel better soon.

Yep, sounds like every side effect I’ve read about. It’s something I worry about: not eating & losing weight only because you feel too sick not because you are making better food choices & establishing better habits. And what happens when you stop the medication? Will you be able to continue to eat the much lower calorie intake needed to maintain your lower weight?

My question is were you stalled or had you reached your set point - the weight your body is happiest at? It’s always much harder to lose below & maintain a weight that is lower than your set point. Your body will keep taking you back to that weight. Not everyone loses all the weight they may want to lose. The average weight loss for sleeve or bypass is about 65% of the weight to be lost to put you in a healthier weight range. From the numbers you gave you had already exceeded that average which is something to Celebrate.

Your choice of course but talk to your prescribing doctor about how to manage the side effects & the what happens after you stop taking the medication.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. No way I’ll be able to eat 400 calories or less lol. I’ve just been sooooo sick like I just can only explain it by feeling extremely weak and fatigued. The anxiety as well. Wow. I haven’t had this bad of anxiety for a long time! I’m not sure if I got to my body’s happy place. I didn’t wanna still be 190lbs. My goal was 180 and I just couldn’t get there. Well today I weighed 176. 7lbs in 6 days. Not good. I should be happy but I’m like oh ****. This is bad. I’m going to go get an IV today to help with the fatigue I’m hoping. I just wanna feel like myself again.

1 hour ago, jstec2 said:

Hey! Thanks for the reply. No way I’ll be able to eat 400 calories or less lol. I’ve just been sooooo sick like I just can only explain it by feeling extremely weak and fatigued. The anxiety as well. Wow. I haven’t had this bad of anxiety for a long time! I’m not sure if I got to my body’s happy place. I didn’t wanna still be 190lbs. My goal was 180 and I just couldn’t get there. Well today I weighed 176. 7lbs in 6 days. Not good. I should be happy but I’m like oh ****. This is bad. I’m going to go get an IV today to help with the fatigue I’m hoping. I just wanna feel like myself again.

Have you stopped the medication? If not, maybe call the doctor and ask if it's ok to maybe lower the dose for a few days and then go completely off it (just to give your body time to adjust to another dose change). Sounds like it would be better to be at 190 than to deal with this just to see the number on the scale be what you want it to be.

18 hours ago, jstec2 said:

My body feels insanely exhausted. Walking up stairs I’m huffing and puffing. I can’t workout. I’m exhausted. My anxiety is through the roof. I also am getting married next month as well as moving 3 days after the wedding.

Hi @jstec2. First, congratulations on getting married! That's wonderful news. I can only imagine the pressure of wanting to get closer to your "goal" for your wedding day. I want to encourage you to pause for a moment. Look at your achievements, and Celebrate them! Seriously, another ten pounds isn't worth this kind of mental health and physical crisis. Don't do this to yourself. You are beautiful. This should be a wonderful time in your life. I encourage you to talk to your doctor and ask about bringing the dose of your medication back to where you felt better, or taper off. Are you connected with your program (if your surgeon offers a program post-op)? Getting married and moving is emotional and exhausting enough without this additional pressure. You've done a great job, and it sounds like you're committed to continuing to do so. Keep focused on the big picture. And start enjoying your wedding planning and journey. All the best! 💟

24 minutes ago, jstec2 said:

Thank you so so much. That was so sweet of you. I will be decreasing or just getting off of it. Just sucks cuz I already paid for the meds too. Oh well. Not worth feeling like ass!!

Way to choose your battles. You got this!! ❤️

I did go back to the place I get it from and got an iv infusion today and it’s helped some. She also mentioned that many of her clients have been coming in and saying they’re feeling extreme fatigue and exhaustion as well. So she thinks it’s a combination of the med, the stress, and possibly a weird viral bug going around. I’m hoping to just be completely better soon!!

22 hours ago, jstec2 said:

Most people who use it need to supplement more often with electrolytes.