Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey I am new to this process and have my first class 1/27. Did the surgery not work for you ?

2 hours ago, sargechick said:

Hello all. I'm new to the group. I had my surgery 16 months ago. My surgeon is starting to push for me to start weight loss medication. My insurance will not cover any revision surgery. What arw your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

I personally think it’s absolutely fantastic that science and medicine are creating new ways to help treat obesity! Sometimes you need more than one tool.

I would suggest a lot of research and asking a lot of questions. All of the medications come with potential risks so I would suggest you research those as well.

Also, most of the research shows that the medications will need to be take for life (maintenance dose) BUT there is not enough research done on the WLS population because most of the trials exclude people who’ve had WLS.

Good luck and let us know what you find out ❤️

Hey I am new to this process and have my first class 1/27. Did the surgery not work for you ?
It did. I lost 127 lbs. But I really could lose 100 more. Since I can't go back to revision, bypass, they arw suggesting medication.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

Before surgery, my surgeon put me on Ozempic, to treat my diabetes and jump start my weight loss. It worked great!

I've heard of this before - and I've heard some of the meds they have now are more effective than they used to be. Not sure what I'd do - but if you and your surgeon think they'd help, it could be worth a try. But then, that's totally up to you.

My surgeon is pushing it too! I don’t know if it’s a result of new research, or research they want to publish, or they want their stats on weight loss to look better. I’m still loosing very slowly and am happy with that (18 months out). So, I’m researching the side affects, and searching my odds. The minute you go off the meds the weight comes back. What’s your end game? It might be the right medication for you. Do you have a stable income and insurance that would support the medication for the rest of your life? Are you diabetic or COPD or something that loosing more weight would help you control? There’s a lot to consider. It’s a personal health decision each person would need to make for themselves.

4 hours ago, sargechick said:

It did. I lost 127 lbs. But I really could lose 100 more. Since I can't go back to revision, bypass, they arw suggesting medication.

Wow that's very interesting! Did your weight loss slow down significantly? I think it's great that your surgeon is concerned about your last 100lbs. I've seen amazing things on these newer weight loss medications. Keep us updated!

I think there are a few questions you need to answer first:

1. Why are you struggling to lose that last 100 pounds?
  2. What are you expecting medication to do for you that you can't do on your own?
  3. Can you afford it? Most of the newer glp1 agonist weight loss medications (e.g. Ozempic, Saxsenda, Rybelsus and others), are not covered by insurance. If you are self pay, they may cost $1,200 to $1,500 a month or more. Keep in mind (as some have pointed out above), most people that lose weight with these meds gain the weight back when they stop.
  4. If price is not a consideration for you, can you even find the medication? Some of these medications are in critically short supply right now.

I am 65 and had my sleeve surgery 12/30/2022. I had to go back on Ozempic the second week simply because the cravings were driving me crazy. Worked nearly immediately.

Do you what you must to make it work. The obesity is more dangerous, more debilitating, and more life enjoyment stealing than weight loss meds. Help your surgery work for you! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app