Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had the surgery almost 6 weeks ago, I've lost about 35 pounds since the surgery but I've noticed something about how food works with my body. Every time I try to eat meat I end up throwing it up and it doesn't matter what type. I've had chicken, fish, pork (ham but not a lot like.. a bite cuz I got sick like instantly after I tried it) even beef and turkey. No matter what meat I try I get so sick even eggs aren't safe. Has anyone else had this happen to you? It's driving me crazy because everyone else seems to be fine but I can't even keep it down not to mention when I do manage to I can't drink Water for hours after without throwing up the water too. Is that something other people have experienced or is it just me lol.

Yes, this happened to me. I had to keep going back to well-cooked minced meats and trying whole meats every two weeks or so. Lamb is a little rich for me and I have found that I can eat it one day but the day after my stomach says a definite no. I have struggled so much that it's only the last few months that I can incorporate vegetables into my diet.

With me the vomiting is not immediate, it happens later. I feel a pressure in the middle of my chest that I know will not go away until I vomit. Its only saliva and foam that comes up. On here it's called the foamies. I cannot drink until its gone. Things are much better now almost 11 months out, but I still have days when my petulant tummy will not accept chicken, eggs or cooked salmon.

The biggest bonus to this is I do not have any hunger pangs. I have to drink milk to help with my energy levels and push my calorie count up to an average of 1000 a day. My team are not bothered, they know everything is getting better with time. I am overjoyed with my weight loss, I only ever dreamed of such a big loss.

Go back to your team and ask them for help, just in case you have a stricture. If you do it's easy to remedy

eggs are a problem for a lot of people in the first few weeks/months after surgery. So is chicken - in that case, it's the dryness. Haven't heard as much about the others, but you may be able to eat all of those at some point. Are you able to eat things like tuna that comes in a can or pouch? Maybe something soft and/or flaked might work (??). Or some kind of sauce on the meat to cut the dryness? If not, you'll probably eventually be able to eat all of that again at some point - the first few months after surgery can be touch & go with food.

I have the same issue. My Protein mostly comes from Protein Shakes and I slowly eat 1st Phorm protein sticks (20g). I've never been able to successfully keep down meat since surgery Aug 2 but I still try every day. I'm hoping eventually something I'll keep down.

9 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

eggs are a problem for a lot of people in the first few weeks/months after surgery. So is chicken - in that case, it's the dryness. Haven't heard as much about the others, but you may be able to eat all of those at some point. Are you able to eat things like tuna that comes in a can or pouch? Maybe something soft and/or flaked might work (??). Or some kind of sauce on the meat to cut the dryness? If not, you'll probably eventually be able to eat all of that again at some point - the first few months after surgery can be touch & go with food.

Personally it doesn't seem to matter how dry or moist the meat itself is. I've even made like tuna salads and stuff and it never works out. I'll probably just try and avoid it and stick with plant based Protein since that doesn't seem to make my stomach violent lol at least for the first few months and try again weekly since I can't keep throwing up everything every other day.

I'm 13 months out, and still can't do white meat chicken, or pork too good. Processed meat is just fine.

eggs were tricky. Early on after liquid diet, they made me sick, unless I scrambled them a certain way. Now they're staple, and in one day I may have them scrambled, omelette, and boiled, at different times.

My doc said it was because of your hormones. After a while of suffering, I went back and they gave me two different prescriptions. You CAN control the nausea, you have to TELL them, and tell them again, until you can cope.

Also-I have discovered, on a personal level, that docs will give you the lowest dose. If that does not do it for you, tell them. Don't suffer. On a personal level again, i googled the meds, and saw that an extra would not kill me, took that extra dose, and the next time I went back, I told them. Guess who got a script for an increased dosage?