Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am one of the lucky ones, I don't feel hunger yet. So do I have to eat a meal if I still feel full after an earlier meal ? At times I feel as if I am forcing food down just to make my Protein quota. Is it ok to just have a drink of milk to get to my quota ? I would ask my team but I am a month away from seeing them. Any help is appreciated, thank you

I would think it’s okay to just drink milk sometimes but it would depend on if your team has a minimum calorie goal they want you to be on. I always did a Protein Shake for Breakfast cause I’m not really hungry in the mornings. Still do.

I know you mentioned that you don't see your team for a month yet, but are you able to call or email your program nutritionist or dietitian? I'm still a few weeks out from surgery but we were told to reach out if we had any issues at any point. They stressed hydration and of course Protein needed to be met to help our body heal.

I would agree with @ShoppGirl that an occasional substitution would probably be ok , but they probably would want you to stick to the plan as much as you are able. After you talk to them they might be able to suggest a modification that might better suit your needs if you are having issues, like smaller portions more often or adding a supplement to help meet the nutritional needs, while not making you feel like you are forcing food down.

Good luck! Let us know how you are doing!

OK, you're smart, you work it out.

Why do you think your goals are your goals? Your medical team getting it's jollies at your expense, or do they believe they serve an honest purpose? What purpose might that be? [Snark not intended]

Let's consider some facts: 60g of Protein is considered a healthy amount of protein for non-ops and post-ops alike. Same with minerals and Vitamins that are often supplemented to ensure minimum values, op and non-op alike. Similarly for liquids, again for op and non-op alike.

Missing these goals one day, or even a few, may not impact overall heath in the long-run. But missing them too frequently for too long may be a different story.

So, knowing these facts you should be able to make your choice. Were it me, I wouldn't fret about the occasional lapse. But that's me. But, knowing these facts, when I'm ill I can't even force myself to eat for days or weeks at a time, which has caused problems to compound.

It comes down to the habits you choose to build. Under normal circumstances I push myself to eat even when I don't feel like it as preparation for those times when I simply can't.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

I didn’t feel hunger for more than a year so I ate to a routine because I wanted to ensure I got in all the nutrients I needed. I didn’t want to rely in shakes, Vitamins or supplements. Doing this didn’t affect my weight loss at all and it helped me refocus how I looked at food. Three years out & I still have times I’m not hungry. Actually been going through a hungry but not hungry stage for a good month now. I’m not eating all my usual portions &/or dropping Snacks (I snack to add to my Protein &/or calories). I always try to be close to my protein goal though during these times so eat protein first & will reduce vegetables, etc. If I’m not hungry at lunch I’ll have a high protein yoghurt which isn’t as heavy to digest as meat. I should explain I’m a do I need this next bite or want it eater. So I don’t eat until I feel full but until I’ve had enough & don’t need anymore. I don’t feel too full to eat but more I don’t want to eat but I know I have to have something. I also still eat slowly - like a tub of yoghurt takes about 45-60mins. As @The Greater Fool said it comes down to habits & these were the ones I established which carry me through.

It always seems to be my evening meal that I don't want. I would and could easily swop it for a high Protein yogurt but it seems so wrong ... Is that a legacy from my other 100lbs + life ? I think I have just answered my own question, A thin person would eat a yogurt for a meal.

2 hours ago, summerseeker said:

It always seems to be my evening meal that I don't want. I would and could easily swop it for a high Protein yogurt but it seems so wrong ... Is that a legacy from my other 100lbs + life ? I think I have just answered my own question, A thin person would eat a yogurt for a meal.

I sometimes eat yogurt for a meal if I'm not particularly hungry. Although I do generally try to eat balanced meals since bodies need the nutrients from vegetables, etc. But as an occasional thing, I don't think having yogurt for dinner (or lunch) is bad. I have it for breakfast almost every morning, in fact.

HAHA I feel the same way most of them time.

I just have a routine and force it. But sometimes it is miserable because when I don't want to eat, nothing tastes good and I am like gagging it down.

I just keep telling myself to be grateful to not be hungry because some people wake up hungry and struggle like crazy.

My dietician says to take this time to establish the good eating habits so when my hunger comes back, I will be prepared and already have my body trained.

I quite often eat yogurt for a meal! I have always loved yogurt, but since surgery I love it even more and I would say it's my favorite food now. Sometimes, it's all I want and I find it very satisfying!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

Im only 3 months out but I cant say whether or not my hunger is back. I guess I can say its not back full force yet. I have gone through periods where I thought I was over the top hungry only to find out I wasnt and I get full quick. Ive also gone through a phase where I wanted to eat whatever I could get ahold of or I wanted to snack for no real good reason. Currently I am in a phase right now where Im not bothered if I eat at all. So its a real struggle and I can relate to you when you say you dont want to eat sometimes because your full from the meal you ate earlier. It seems odd sometimes tho lol