Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your thoughts on potatoes? Do you eat it or neglect it?

In our Indian cuisine, many of the vegetable curries are prepared with potatoes. So there are days I would have potatoes along with other vegetables. And it of course goes towards my daily caloried intake.

Anyhow, are potatoes part of your daily or weekly routine?

Certainly, potatoes are about the most calorically efficient real food sources of potassium that we have (and potassium isn't supplemented well without an Rx. Many programs suggest mashed potatoes as an early soft food (along with things like oatmeal and cream of wheat) as a means of countering the common early to mid post op lethargy from a diet that's overly low in carbohydrate ( a popular thing in the fad diet world.)

As with salads, the main dietary problem with potatoes is the high calorie junk that is often piled on them, rather than the basic food itself.

Enjoy.

I am not a big potato lover but I do make homemade fries in the air fryer on occasion and My husband makes a lower calories potato salad for holidays that I do indulge In a small portion of. I think as long as you are getting in your Protein and you budget your calories you should enjoy.

I'm still pre op, therefore lacking in real experience. My program forbids potatoes for life and only allows complex carbs in the form of quinoa, Beans, oats, etc. And then, only after reaching goal.

I love to garden and recently discovered the love of growing my own potatoes. I will be eating those potatoes (don't tell :) ). I actually love plain boiled potatoes with salt and pepper. Don't really care for French Fries. Home grown potatoes that I planted myself, weeded, dug up by hand, cleaned and boiled didn't get me to where I am today! I plan to pair them with Protein to prevent glucose/insulin spikes. As long as I meet my goals I plan to eat my potatoes!

Potatoes is one thing that is very easy to over eat once you get farther out!

Potatoes weren’t allowed on my plan as they’re a starchy high carb vegetable. Plus how they’re traditionally prepared is often high calorie (butter in a mash, oil if roasted or fried, cream if scalloped, etc.). And most of their good fibre is in the skin which people throw away. But if they’re on your plan give them a go.

I still don’t eat them. They tend to sit a bit heavily in my tummy. I try a bite or two of mashed or baked every now & again but no. My father was a potato grower & we had to have potato every night. I’m sure he’s rolling in his grave.

Edited by Arabesque

we weren't allowed to eat them early out because of the starch, but I eat them occasionally now. It's been a few years, but I think I started eating them when i was about a year out.

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Potatoes weren’t allowed on my plan as they’re a starchy high carb vegetable. Plus how they’re traditionally prepared is often high calorie (butter in a mash, oil if roasted or fried, cream if scalloped, etc.). And most of their good fibre is in the skin which people throw away. But if they’re on your plan give them a go.

I still don’t eat them. They tend to sit a bit heavily in my tummy. I try a bite or two of mashed or baked every now & again but no. My father was a potato grower & we had to have potato every night. I’m sure he’s rolling in his grave.

My diet plan doesn't want us to restrict anything as long as we keep our portions in check. Potatoes are there too. So I don't really shy away from them and do consume in curries and stuff. Though, I do make sure to keep their portion smaller compared to rest of the veggies. And curries are home made. So we of course stay away from using any heavy loaded fat content like butter, heavy cream or tons of oil. We cook our curries in bare minimum oil.

I think I do enjoy the fact that I don't have to restrict myself from anything as long as I am mindful of not overindulging in anything more than prescribed.

I kept wondering how others' plans are outlined hence the thread lol.

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

I eat potatoes, but not a lot of it. I usually eat them roasted or boiled and they are nutritious and easy on my stomach (especially during the soft food stage as per my surgeon). Interesting fact, boiled potatoes have the highest satiety score of all foods.

My plan allows all types of potatoes but NO skin allowed. I was eating mashed potatoes in the soft food stage and it was heavenly. No digestive issues at all. I recently tried oven baked french fries (with BBQ pork ribs) for the first time. I was able to eat 7 crinkle fries and had no digestive issues. It was the best meal I’ve had so far!

BC1151E4-5BEF-453B-9719-F7F7D0728AFF.jpeg

14 hours ago, suzannethemom said:

My plan allows all types of potatoes but NO skin allowed. I was eating mashed potatoes in the soft food stage and it was heavenly. No digestive issues at all. I recently tried oven baked french fries (with BBQ pork ribs) for the first time. I was able to eat 7 crinkle fries and had no digestive issues. It was the best meal I’ve had so far!

BC1151E4-5BEF-453B-9719-F7F7D0728AFF.jpeg

Just be careful with the pork ribs as you are able to eat larger servings. I recently learned just a half rack of ribs was like 688 calories and 45 grams of fat BEFORE the sauce. And that’s baby back which are the leanest cut. The same amount of chicken breast is 190 calories. Ignore if you already knew this but I had no clue and was totally floored by the calorie and fat content.

Edited by ShoppGirl

11 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Just be careful with the pork ribs as you are able to eat larger servings. I recently learned just a half rack of ribs was like 688 calories and 45 grams of fat BEFORE the sauce.

I only ate what is pictured on the plate. I had one rib. I can only eat about 2 ounces of Protein per meal. There is no way I could eat half a rack of ribs, lol!

15 minutes ago, suzannethemom said:

I only ate what is pictured on the plate. I had one rib. I can only eat about 2 ounces of Protein per meal. There is no way I could eat half a rack of ribs, lol!

Ooh yea I know and that’s why I said just be careful when you can actually eat more because a half rack is a normal serving which eventually you will get closer to most likely. A half rack is only 4 ounces of meat according to what I read online.

Edited by ShoppGirl

26 minutes ago, suzannethemom said:

I’m sorry if that seemed offensive or something. I just honestly had no clue the calories were so high and thought I would share it with you in case you didn’t either.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:17 PM, DaisyAndSunshine said:

What are your thoughts on potatoes? Do you eat it or neglect it?

During weight loss phase I chose to keep them out of my diet despite being “allowed” to eat them as per my NUT.

I didn’t start eating them until a few months into maintenance, but if/when I do, it almost always just for taste (1-3 bites) because they tend to fill me up quite quickly…and i’d rather fill my tum with something more delicious.

If i’m having Soups or stews or curries with potatoes, I generally finish my meal with (almost) all the potato bits still in the bowl, if i didn’t already fish them out earlier.