Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I know I'm "new" to all of this. I'm 13 days post op. The first 5 days after surgery, I had lost 7.5 lbs. By the 7 day mark, I had hit a 9 lb weight loss. I was SO EXCITED so I figured I'd weigh myself maybe every 4 days after the 7 day mark. I was REALLY looking forward to my progress, and I was so shocked by the original fast weight loss I just couldn't help myself.

Keep in mind -- I'm STILL on the all liquid diet. Well, the last 6 days, I have lost 0 lbs. ZERO! I' got down to 244.0 lbs, then days later 244.5 lbs and today 245.4 lbs. So technically speaking I've actually gained 0.9 lb. HOW?!

Can someone help explain? Is this normal? I'm following all the rules. The only thing I'm not doing anymore is working out since I haven't gotten the clearance, but I can totally go on long hour walks as my "exercise" for now. That's the only plan I have at this moment...

My other confusion and worries lie in this: If I'm on the all liquid diet still, and I'm post surgery, IF I haven't lost ANY weight in the past week, I'm already getting nervous/anxious for when I am allowed to eat solid foods (hopefully starting tomorrow) and how maybe I'll gain weight.

Edited by Vivis

8 minutes ago, Vivis said:

Hi! I know I'm "new" to all of this. I'm 13 days post op. The first 5 days after surgery, I had lost 7.5 lbs. By the 7 day mark, I had hit a 9 lb weight loss. I was SO EXCITED so I figured I'd weigh myself maybe every 4 days after the 7 day mark. I was REALLY looking forward to my progress, and I was so shocked by the original fast weight loss I just couldn't help myself.

Keep in mind -- I'm STILL on the all liquid diet. Well, the last 6 days, I have lost 0 lbs. ZERO!

Can someone help explain? Is this normal? I'm following all the rules. The only thing I'm not doing anymore is working out since I haven't gotten the clearance, but I can totally go on long hour walks as my "exercise" for now. That's the only plan I have at this moment...

I'm almost 4 months post-op, (I put the wrong date for my surgery, and can't seem to find how to change it) and the only thing I can say is that there is NO NORMAL. It will come off. Your body is still in "shock." Don't get discouraged.

you are reaching your first stall... you will have more stalls along your journey. I am 3 weeks post op and i am currently in a stall. I have not lost weight in almost a week and actually gained about a pound. It will run its course and will loose again.

That small of an increase could be anything. Retaining Water, full bowels, etc. Fluctuations of a up to a few pounds can even happen within a single day. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. And as for the few days without losing it’s possible that you hit your three week stall early. It’s so common that they have that name for it. It happens “around” the third week for most. If the little fluctuations are going to bother you you may be better to weigh yourself less often because stalls do happen and so do those small fluctuations. As long as the overall trend is down you will be fine.

The best thing to do is to stay off of the scale for a while in the beginning. Stalls happen to most people. This video explains the science behind "The Dreaded Stall."

1 hour ago, BypassingMyPhatAss♡ said:

The best thing to do is to stay off of the scale for a while in the beginning. Stalls happen to most people. This video explains the science behind "The Dreaded Stall."

I had no clue this was a thing...I'm definitely new to all of this omg! Thanks for sharing!!!

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

That small of an increase could be anything. Retaining Water, full bowels, etc. Fluctuations of a up to a few pounds can even happen within a single day. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. And as for the few days without losing it’s possible that you hit your three week stall early. It’s so common that they have that name for it. It happens “around” the third week for most. If the little fluctuations are going to bother you you may be better to weigh yourself less often because stalls do happen and so do those small fluctuations. As long as the overall trend is down you will be fine.

What is the three week stall? I've never heard it!!!

1 hour ago, oldandtired said:

I'm almost 4 months post-op, (I put the wrong date for my surgery, and can't seem to find how to change it) and the only thing I can say is that there is NO NORMAL. It will come off. Your body is still in "shock." Don't get discouraged.

I think that's what I keep telling myself -- there is no normal. And I've read that some ppl lose weight one week and the second week nothing and the third week nothing and the fourth week a ton is lost. So I have read that experience from others...thanks for sharing! I hope you're doing well at 4 months post-op! How much have you lost so far?

11 minutes ago, Vivis said:

What is the three week stall? I've never heard it!!!

It is just one of the many stalls that you will have. The first one is usually around three weeks. It is extremely common. If you search it on here you will see how many people experience it by How many results.

Edited by ShoppGirl

2 hours ago, BypassingMyPhatAss♡ said:

That video is awesome. I knew about the 3 week stall but i had no clue on why.

Yeah don't beat yourself up, everyone has stalls and times they go up a little, as long as overall it's trending downward you're good. I'm attaching three charts I got from my MyFitnessPal app showing my weight fluctuation over three periods of time. First is over the past month, next is past three months, finally is the chart starting two weeks pre-surgery, just to make it easier to see the spikes. Unlike most here, I weigh myself every single day. I know it's not recommended but it works for me, and it lets me really see all the little fluctuations and stalls that happen all the time. I don't stress about it so it works. Give yourself more time, at least a few months, before you start getting worried.

Screenshot_20220509-195410.thumb.png.45ada2f89109cc21b699cdd07903a3ba.png Screenshot_20220509-195358.thumb.png.4a4013a75e3e44d771c8662b4fc35a58.png Screenshot_20220509-195341.thumb.png.943cdf69757be76084285779bc4f7c31.png

Your weight loss will be erratic. Ups & downs & plateaus. Nobody has a perfectly straight line graphing their loss. @Tufflaw’s graphs are a great example. And the faster weight loss rate doesn’t last. It will start to slow & eventually get to the point you think you’re not losing anymore when you’re almost at your goal.

Some people recommend only weighing yourself once a week or even less frequently. I weighed myself every day but I knew what to expect. As long as your general weight loss trend is downwards you’re doing well. (Though it’s a bit early for you is see that trend.)

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

On 5/9/2022 at 2:26 PM, Vivis said:

I think that's what I keep telling myself -- there is no normal. And I've read that some ppl lose weight one week and the second week nothing and the third week nothing and the fourth week a ton is lost. So I have read that experience from others...thanks for sharing! I hope you're doing well at 4 months post-op! How much have you lost so far?

So far? From my heaviest, 43 lbs, or to you, 19.5 kg.... or, lol, 2 dress sizes.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, Tufflaw said:

Yeah don't beat yourself up, everyone has stalls and times they go up a little, as long as overall it's trending downward you're good. I'm attaching three charts I got from my MyFitnessPal app showing my weight fluctuation over three periods of time. First is over the past month, next is past three months, finally is the chart starting two weeks pre-surgery, just to make it easier to see the spikes. Unlike most here, I weigh myself every single day. I know it's not recommended but it works for me, and it lets me really see all the little fluctuations and stalls that happen all the time. I don't stress about it so it works. Give yourself more time, at least a few months, before you start getting worried.

Thank you for sending your charts. It really shows the up's and down's. But it overall shows your intense decrease. I love that for you, and I guess it's a great way to really help calm me down and for me to see a little bit into what my future could look like.

Hi Vivis,

I am six weeks postop. I had a stall in weeks 2 and 3, but I started to lose again in week 4. It was tough. However, despite the stall, my total weight loss, as well as average weekly weight loss to date, is on track with statistics I have seen. So, please do not worry. The posts above are awesome and wish I had them a few weeks ago! I am writing to add that it was comforting to me during my stall to read as many prior posts as I could about the "three-week stall." Type "stall" into the search engine above and there are about 17,000 reassuring posts! Every post made such a difference to me.